Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by chadlee989 View Post
    Kyle is the best player we have had since JJ. He can guard all 5 spots if need be. I understand all the concern but when can we remember Kyle getting beat on the perimeter. Down the stretch of the RI game he was put on Jimmy Baron and on the last shot of the game got a piece of the ball to hold on for the win.

All the talk out of Carolina is that Henson will be starting at the 3 for them. Are we worried that a 6 10 freshmen will be blowing by Kyle? Why is it that we are worried sick about playing Kyle against opposing 3's but yet Carolina is not worried about starting a bigger player at the 3 who is not a NPOY type player?
    Jimmy Baron was a shooter, not known for his quickness or devastating crossover. I don't think he's really a great example. And nobody's worried about any 6'10" small forward blowing by Kyle. Regarding Carolina and Henson, my guess is they won't be able to start him against teams with three lightning quick guards. Against those teams they'll probably play Strickland or McDonald and stick Ginyard at the 3.

I think Kyle will be a better-than-adequate defender at the 3 (if Duke played positions, that is), but we shouldn't shut our eyes and think he'll be able to stay in front of Villanova-quick wing players. The good news is I'm not sure how many teams can trot out three of those guys at once this year, so Kyle should be fine most of the time.

I also think we need to differentiate between playing on-ball and off-ball defense. On the ball, a small, quick player is going to have an advantage against Kyle, and we'll have to rely on our big front line to step up and provide shot-blocking threats. Off the ball, Kyle is a lot taller and longer and may be able to deny passes to these guys and/or keep them further out than is optimal for slashing. We can hope, anyway.

Question Are We Ever Allowed To Discount a Rival?

Quote Originally Posted by I Was Framed View Post
    Because Henson will probably be a NPOY next year should he return. He also has NFOY potential. He is a super athletic, highly skilled player. If he were 20 lbs heavier, he might be the best frosh in the nation, hands down. He will be a dangerous player.

Don't discount him. I am still not sold on him as a three. That talk may have more to do with UNC's shaky guard rotation, and playing Ginyard at SG rather than SF to hide that shaky guard rotation. I don't know.

But I really hate it when we discount our UNC rivals merely because they are our rivals.

Last year, this board poo-poo'd UNC's title hopes by saying that Hans woud shoot too many mid range jumpers, Lawson couldn't shoot threes, and that there would be serious chemistry issues. I myself beleived two out of those three. Well, we were all dead wrong about each point.

Never underestimate your opponent. Kyle will give Henson fits, sure. But the athletic and skilled Henson will not exactly be a walk in the park for Kyle or Duke.
    First, does the "discount our UNC rivals" statement mean that some folks discount UNC because they hate the team, the players, the coaches, etc.? Otherwise, it's circular and makes no sense.

Some people, not necessarily me, would be reasonably inclined to discount the championship prospects of a team that lost their top four players in terms of minutes and scoring.

Second, I don't think that "this board poo-poo'd [pooh-poohed?] UNC title hopes." Many of us here thought that UNC was the best team in the country all year long, reserving judgment during a couple of mid-season hiccoughs and not missing a chance to have some fun at H'brough's and Ol' Roy's expense. So I don't know what you mean.

Third, the logic in your earlier post was tortuous, seeming to slam Kyle and Jon but then backing off

Fourth, your posts are a bit on the provocative side, esp. for an unknown quantity with only five posts. Are you trolling? Perhaps it would be a good idea to add some detail to your account info. I see the moderators are already sniffing around.

sagegrouse
    'I returned from Colorado this week to spend two months on the East Coast before returning for ski season. Ye Gods! This weather is awful!'