Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have a hunch that Duke's best hypothetical lineup, if they reach their potential, would feature both of the Plumlee brothers starting.

Nolan Smith and Miles Plumlee are the two players I would most like to see improve - really think they would make Duke much better if they become the players I envision (Nolan a more effective scoring and passing guard and Miles an athletic center who can grab 5-7 rebounds a game and be a consistent threat to put up double digit points scoring).

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil2001 View Post
    how about a small lineup:

pg: scheyer
    sg: smith
    sf: dawkins
    pf: singler
    c: thomas

duke might have to use this lineup a lot this year to match up with quicker teams.

it would be nice if elliot williams was still around..even a more smaller and quicker lineup.

pg: scheyer
    sg: smith
    sf: dawkins
    pf: williams
    c: singler
    That small lineup you talk about scares the hell out of me and, in all honesty, I hope K doesn't play it unless there is 2 minutes to go and we need to put up points in a hurry. It's not that I don't like that lineup - I love that lineup - it's that if any of 1-4 get into foul trouble, we are screwed.

I think K's biggest challenge is not going to be integrating the freshman, or defense, or scoring in the half court, or turnovers - it's going to be making sure the backcourt STAYS out of foul trouble. If one of them is in foul trouble, then the other backcourt players play too many minutes. Not the strategy for staying fresh come March.

lineups

These extreme lineups may be fun when playing NBA Live, but in reality any team needs balance. I don't suspect we'll see the "big team" or the "fast team" or the "white team" (there, I said it!) very often this year.

I do recall in 1999 I was hoping to see the "muscle team" on the floor. It was something like Maggette, James, Brand, Carrawell, and Domzalski. Sadly, it never happened .

Smile All-Forward, All Grant Hill

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    These extreme lineups may be fun when playing NBA Live, but in reality any team needs balance. I don't suspect we'll see the "big team" or the "fast team" or the "white team" (there, I said it!) very often this year.

I do recall in 1999 I was hoping to see the "muscle team" on the floor. It was something like Maggette, James, Brand, Carrawell, and Domzalski. Sadly, it never happened .
    Lst season BOb Knight referred to K's "all-forward team:" Kyle, LT, Gerald, EWill, and Scheyer," which was effective against certain teams.

Given Duke's motion offense and switching defense, I have always felt that a team like that would really appeal to K. In particular, I can imagine a team of five Grant-Hill types that would be stunningly effective. That isn't going to happen with the current roster, which is the largest I can remember at Duke.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lst season BOb Knight referred to K's "all-forward team:" Kyle, LT, Gerald, EWill, and Scheyer," which was effective against certain teams.

Given Duke's motion offense and switching defense, I have always felt that a team like that would really appeal to K. In particular, I can imagine a team of five Grant-Hill types that would be stunningly effective. That isn't going to happen with the current roster, which is the largest I can remember at Duke.

sagegrouse
    Of course, why wouldn't you play five Grant Hill's if you could? Ok, maybe you need one true three point threat on the court, but seriously, I could live with 5 6-9 guys with insane athleticism, basketball IQ, court vision, ball-handling ability, and rebounding ability who are capable of averaging 20ppg apiece and who all stay for four years and lead Duke to four more titles. How's that cloning experiment going again?

Seriously, though, I can see a big lineup working well if Kyle is the nominal "2" as long as Mason, Zoubs, Miles and Kelly are effective at help defense and protecting the rim. Zoubs isn't the fastest on defensive rotations, but he's tall enough to alter shots. Both Mason and Miles should be able to move quickly enough to help out if one of the perimeter defenders is beaten. We'll see if Kelly can get up to game speed quickly enough. However, if these guys can rotate well enough and provide enough of a shot blocking presence, a lineup like this could work. I'd actually be slightly more concerned on the offensive end. Kyle would be restricted to the perimeter because there wouldn't be any driving lanes with our bigs clogging the lane. Unless our bigs develop quality go-to moves in the post, I'm not sure that the spacing at the offensive end would favor our strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Of course, why wouldn't you play five Grant Hill's if you could? Ok, maybe you need one true three point threat on the court, but seriously, I could live with 5 6-9 guys with insane athleticism, basketball IQ, court vision, ball-handling ability, and rebounding ability who are capable of averaging 20ppg apiece and who all stay for four years and lead Duke to four more titles. How's that cloning experiment going again?

Seriously, though, I can see a big lineup working well if Kyle is the nominal "2" as long as Mason, Zoubs, Miles and Kelly are effective at help defense and protecting the rim. Zoubs isn't the fastest on defensive rotations, but he's tall enough to alter shots. Both Mason and Miles should be able to move quickly enough to help out if one of the perimeter defenders is beaten. We'll see if Kelly can get up to game speed quickly enough. However, if these guys can rotate well enough and provide enough of a shot blocking presence, a lineup like this could work. I'd actually be slightly more concerned on the offensive end. Kyle would be restricted to the perimeter because there wouldn't be any driving lanes with our bigs clogging the lane. Unless our bigs develop quality go-to moves in the post, I'm not sure that the spacing at the offensive end would favor our strengths.
    Well, Kelly would roam the perimeter as well, and from the youtube clips it looks like Mason has a mid-range game. I don't think offense would be our problem in the scenario you envision.

I would take five Grant Hills over any other lineup we can come up with as well I don't worry as much about a big lineup (not as a starting lineup) with Kyle at the 2 on offense. My impression is that Mason and Ryan can both play on the perimeter offensively, so that should help with spacing, leaving Zoubs and Miles in the post and/or to set screens.

I expect a starting line-up of Jon, Nolan, Kyle, Lance and Brian or Mason.
    Last edited by NSDukeFan; 10-02-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Kedsy beat me to my main point

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I would take five Grant Hills over any other lineup we can come up with as well
    Over five Lebrons?
    Or five Carmelos?
    How about five, oh no he didn't, MJs?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    On Nolan's U-Stream he said the starting five will be:

Jon Scheyer
    Nolan Smith
    Kyle Singler
    Mason Plumlee
    Lance Thomas/ Brian Zoubek

There you have it
    I'd prefer a lineup that includes 5 guys who are a threat to score. I've had enough of these 3-on-5 and 4-on-5 games. Of course Lance and Z will play a fair amount and we'll be shorthanded on offense when that occurs. But the offense with 5 scorers should be a predominant one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    I'd prefer a lineup that includes 5 guys who are a threat to score. I've had enough of these 3-on-5 and 4-on-5 games. Of course Lance and Z will play a fair amount and we'll be shorthanded on offense when that occurs. But the offense with 5 scorers should be a predominant one.
    There is also the possibility that Lance and Z have improved over the summer and will provide more offensively this year.

I remember

Once in the NBA All-Star team the coach (maybe Phil Jackson?) of the East had on the floor Grant, Jordan, Pippen, and Anfernee Hardway. Oh, and he moved some guy named Laettner to the center spot. The West didn't know what hit them. Laettner knew his job was to rebound and distribute. The other four ran fast breaks like you wouldn't believe.

I don't remember the defense being anything exceptional, but it was an All-Star game.

Skewing the question

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Over five Lebrons?
    Or five Carmelos?
    How about five, oh no he didn't, MJs?
    Before they turned pro, I would take Duke senior Grant Hill over Syracuse Carmelo, high school LeBron and I started paying attention to college hoops around the time Jordan was pro, so I won't comment about him.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Before they turned pro, I would take Duke senior Grant Hill over Syracuse Carmelo, high school LeBron and I started paying attention to college hoops around the time Jordan was pro, so I won't comment about him.
    I think people forget how good Grant Hill was his first few years in the NBA, before he got hurt. He was waaaay better than Melo. I am not saying he was Lebron or MJ, but Melo?? Puh-lease!

--Jason "oh, and Grant played fabulous defense-- just ask Big Dog" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think people forget how good Grant Hill was his first few years in the NBA, before he got hurt. He was waaaay better than Melo. I am not saying he was Lebron or MJ, but Melo?? Puh-lease!
    Seriously. He was an all-star as a rookie, which is very rare in and of itself, but a lot of people don't remember he LED THE LEAGUE IN FAN BALLOTING for the all-star game his rookie year, was all nba 2nd team as a super soph and then all nba 1st team in his 3rd year, and made like 5 straight all star teams.

I'll stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "oh, and Grant played fabulous defense-- just ask Big Dog" Evans
    Big Who?

Coach K's Starting 5 -- As Of Today

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/200...us-in-cameron/

"If the season were to start now, Krzyzewski said the starters would be Jon Scheyer, Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler, and both Mason and Miles Plumlee. Krzyzewski did say, though, that Lance Thomas would play essentially as a sixth starter, and mentioned that freshman Andre Dawkins would be the first guard off the bench."

Another interesting tidbit, "Because of illness, freshman Ryan Kelly lost a significant amount of weight over the summer, and for that reason Krzyzewski said Kelly played mainly on the perimeter during preseason practice. Now, though, Kelly has regained that weight and has started to practice more on the interior as well."

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

"If the season were to start now, Krzyzewski said the starters would be Jon Scheyer, Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler, and both Mason and Miles Plumlee. Krzyzewski did say, though, that Lance Thomas would play essentially as a sixth starter, and mentioned that freshman Andre Dawkins would be the first guard off the bench."
    I'm glad Krzyzewski hasn't lost his sense of humor.

"Finally, Krzyzewski asked students to be harsher on the referees at home this season, adding that he doesn’t think his star players, like Scheyer or Singler, ever commit a foul, especially in Cameron."

Haha this is a completely ridiculous statement. I like how it's reported as if it's a fact.

I think it's great that the Plumlees have earned starting spots at this point. That means they are both playing really well at this time. I think the Plumlees getting a lot of PT gives Duke a much higher ceiling than with Lance and Zoubek, although I think both will also contribute.

The Plumlees AND Singler AND Scheyer... jesus we are big

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

"If the season were to start now, Krzyzewski said the starters would be Jon Scheyer, Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler, and both Mason and Miles Plumlee.
    That is AWESOME news. I really think Miles can be a force and own the paint if he learns to play within himself and make the most of his considerable physical gifts... we're talking about a burly 6'10 who jumped over his coach's head in a dunk contest this summer. I don't think a Cole Aldrich-like effect on defense and the boards is out of the question for him down the road, and that's a great vote of confidence from K that he's maturing and coming along nicely.

Counting the days...

Wow. Miles seems to be awesome now. I remember last season - whenever he was on the court - he looked completely lost. You saw the raw athleticism and the potential, but he just looked so lost, especially on D. Two things must have happened: a) he had one hell of a summer and b) he must feel more comfortable playing with his brother than without. Both of these make complete sense, and I expect the MPs to form a sick frontcourt with Lance and Z.