Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

It's nice, but

All Duke fans know the starting five and the 7 to 9 man rotation will be determined by Coach K during his tough practices. This year as in previous years spots will be won on a weekly basis. Those who perform up to Coach's expectations will be the players getting the minutes. I think Kyle, Jon and Nolan will get the major minutes but I have no idea who gets the other minutes in the rotation. It is fun to predict and helps pass these waiting hours until tipoff. I imagine Nolan is going off pickup games and it's based on his personal feelings. Since Coach K has not seen these pickup games, it's certainly not etched in stone by any means. It's getting closer guys. Go Duke!

Hoo Boy

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jason "anyone dreaming of a big lineup with Scheyer, Singler, Kelly, Mason, and Miles?" Evans
    Do I even need to spell out what the Duke-haters would say about this lineup?

It's a fine lineup - but I'm just sayin'.

Gotcha!

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post

At first I didn't get it. Went right over my head. But I see where you're going and I would not be surprised if another coach used that against us in recruiting. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Social media is a way for athletes to engage with their fans. And while some college athletes (I'm really thinking of Kansas right now) will say inappropriate things, I have a lot of faith in Duke kids using social media. Also, we are always talking about how this player is such a "good" and "responsible" kid and "fits the Duke mold." If you truly believe that, then let Duke players act on their own accord - no need for K to pull the plug on Twitter, Facebook, youtube, uStream, etc.
    If you look through the Kyrie Irving thread, you will find that I vigorously defended Twitter, U-Stream, and those who follow recruits on it to an extent.

HOWEVER, recruits are different because they do not yet represent a program. Last night was very dangerous for Nolan and Duke Basketball. He handled it fairly well but really pushed the envelopes a few times.

1) He accidentally showed Seth Curry's phone # on the video chat
    2) He made jokes about ethnicities ("What do you call a short mexican?...)
    3) When people started telling "homos" to get out of the chat he laughed and repeated one of the statements accidentally.
    4) He made somewhat disparaging comments about Carolina players
    5) He made speculations (or assertions) depending on what you believe about the lineup before practice has even started (Not sure K is down with that).
    6) He talked about potential recruits, some of which have not been offered.

... there is just a lot of gray area and a lot of room to slip up. When a recruit does it, no big deal, because the media won't jump all over it. When a player for an NCAA team gets caught slipping on something... WHEN A DUKE BASKETBALL PLAYER IN THE SPOTLIGHT slips up... not good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see K put some restrictions on Twitter and U-stream once the season starts.

Back to the starting lineup... We are going to be SOOOOO big. It still hasn't hit me yet how different this team will be this season.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post

Good luck using that against us in recruiting if we ride it to the Final Four. Even with the lack of quickness on defense, we might score enough points where it wouldn't even matter.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Good luck using that against us in recruiting if we ride it to the Final Four. Even with the lack of quickness on defense, we might score enough points where it wouldn't even matter.
    I seem to recall a team down the road using this strategy...

--Jason "anyone dreaming of a big lineup with Scheyer, Singler, Kelly, Mason, and Miles?" Evans
    Good lord, why? That sounds like a great lineup for getting Kyle in foul trouble in about a minute and a half.

--Jason "anyone dreaming of a big lineup with Scheyer, Singler, Kelly, Mason, and Miles?" Evans
    I'm glad that most of us thought "wow that lineup is slow" or "wow that lineup is tall" when thinking about that lineup instead of anything else.

I fall into the latter group myself. It would certainly present some problems for other defenses I would think. Do you play man-to-man and risk height mismatches inside? Do you play zone and watch as Scheyer/Singler/Kelly pick it apart from 3? I definitly think Singler at the 2 would present some matchup problems for other teams. Hopefully on defense your lack of quickness could be made up for by a ton of height.

A big lineup with Scheyer, Singler, Kelly, Mason, and Miles

...would average 6'8.8"! Try shooting over that... and consider the space covered by the long arms waiving and reaching for the ball. An interesting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post

...would average 6'8.8"! Try shooting over that... and consider the space covered by the long arms waiving and reaching for the ball. An interesting lineup.
    With Z instead of Miles it's even taller (as well as slower).

Scheyer, Singler, Kelly, Mason, and Miles isn't nearly as slow a lineup as some of ya'll seem to think.

But, if speed -- particularly on D -- is a big concern, then plug Thomas in for Kelley. Still a very large and long lineup with better defensive quickness.

--Jason "we have size to burn this year... quite a change from the past" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

This is my pick:
    starter/bench)
    1. Scheyer/?
    2. Smith/dawkins
    3. Singler/Kelly
    4. Lance/miles
    5. Mason/z

I would think dawkins would back up smith and scheyer, and just have smith running the point when scheyer is not on the floor. I did see that scheyer said that both him and smith will kinda share the point. I think scheyer will do most of the point running but, this is just my guess. Anyway you line them up we have a good nine man rotation this year.

How is Nolan's statement any different than what posters have been saying on these boards for months? or what Kyle said about Mason being more ready than Ryan? or what coach K saying one or both of the frosh could start?

BTW, Nolan did say he scans these boards occasionally.

The order with Lance 5th was just that the other 4 were in his opinion starters and the 5th was not, not that Lance would play the 5 spot.

He also said he is a guard no PG and no SG, as is Scheyer.

so those two plus either

Singler
    Lance
    Mason

or

Singler
    Mason
    Zoubek

I think it varies by opponent and to just keep the other coach guessing. More often it will be lance as defense comes first, but vs. Favors, Alabi, type centers Zoubek for bulk.

Nolan also said he takes Miles over Mason in 1 vs. 1 as big brother would never let his little brother win (same think he said about himself and his honorary little brother Quinn Cook).

Says Miles playing much more confidently with his brother on board.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    I think it varies by opponent and to just keep the other coach guessing. More often it will be lance as defense comes first, but vs. Favors, Alabi, type centers Zoubek for bulk.
    I agree with you in theory, but I don't know that I put FAVORS in the category of big/bulky centers. He's 6'9 220. That's LT/Mason territory, though Favors is more explosive than LT. I think Favors would do some serious damage against Zoubs.

Alabi on the other hand is 7'1 250. Thats Zoubs Territory.

Starting Rotation

This is Coach K's team we're talking about. Sure I think we can all nail down two or three (probably 3) of the starters, but he plays a 9 man rotation almost all the time and changes things up frequently. The 5 players that have the most minutes at the end of the game (not necessarily the 5 that start the game) will vary depending on who the opponent is, who is healthiest, who is feeling their three point shot, etc. I do love the speculation though because it makes me start getting my old knees in shape to be ready to jump throughout a few games. My starting five: the 3 S's, a MP (don't know which one at the moment because I haven't seen Mason play yet), and depending on the opponent either Z or LT. Anyway you slice it, I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    On Nolan's U-Stream he said the starting five will be:

Jon Scheyer
    Nolan Smith
    Kyle Singler
    Mason Plumlee
    Lance Thomas/ Brian Zoubek

There you have it
    pg: scheyer
    sg: smith
    sf: singler
    pf: thomas
    c: mason

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    This is Coach K's team we're talking about. Sure I think we can all nail down two or three (probably 3) of the starters, but he plays a 9 man rotation almost all the time and changes things up frequently.
    excuse me? nine? who were 8 and 9 in 2005, 2006 or 2007? please - the biggest criticism of coach mike over the last ~10 years is that his rotations have been too small (basically seven players). this year he will be forced to increase the size because we'll need to play taller players out of position more, but let's not pretend that a 9-man rotation has been part of coach mike's game plan in the recent past.

Starters

Not that it matters one way or the other, but:
    2004-05 season 11 different players started. 2005-06 I'll give you only 7 different players started, but who would you start instead of JJ and Sheld? 2006-07 8 different starters. 2007-08 9 different starters.
    My point is that Coach K likes to mix things up.

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    Not that it matters one way or the other, but:
    2004-05 season 11 different players started. 2005-06 I'll give you only 7 different players started, but who would you start instead of JJ and Sheld? 2006-07 8 different starters. 2007-08 9 different starters.
    My point is that Coach K likes to mix things up.
    just as an example of the 11 starters in 04-05 - David McClure, Patrick Davidson, Patrick Johnson, Reggie Love (remember wake forest?). The other seven (JJ, DEwing, Shelden, Dockery, DeMarcus, Shav, and Lee) were the rotation.

05-06
    JJ, Shelden, Dockery, Paulus, McRoberts, DeMarcus (barely) and Lee = 7

06-07
    DeMarcus, Paulus, McRoberts, Scheyer, Henderson, McClure, Lance/Zoubek =8

07-08
    DeMarcus, Kyle, Paulus, Scheyer, Henderson, McClure and Lance = 7

08-09
    Kyle, Scheyer, Henderson, Paulus, Smith, Lance, Zoubek, Elliott, McClure = 9
    Last year was the first year in a while with a deeper rotation.

my points - 1) coach mike generally uses a short rotation
    2) number of players who start a game is not a valid indicator of players in the rotation
    3) you're right - none of this matters. with our thin backcourt and guys playing out of position, coach mike will definitely be playing more than seven guys this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post

how about a small lineup:

sf: dawkins
    pf: singler
    c: thomas

duke might have to use this lineup a lot this year to match up with quicker teams.

it would be nice if elliot williams was still around..even a more smaller and quicker lineup.

sf: dawkins
    pf: williams
    c: singler