Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What I find at least mildly interesting about Tebow is that he may be simultaneously the greatest college football player in a generation and just an "ok" NFL prospect at QB. I know it is nothing new for a kid to be more suited to the college game, but we are talking about what will likely be a multiple Heisman winner and, again, one of the all-timers in the college game.
    Sounds reminscent of Charlie Ward...a Heisman winner who went undrafted.(at least not in the first round) Of course, Ward had basketball to fall back on.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    You need to be careful when you idolize someone without knowing them. What you know of Tebow is what THEY let you know of him. I got a feeling Tebow doesn't know who the real Tebow is. I feel sorry for the kid personally. He seems like he has been prepped to be a QB his whole life. Everything about the kid seems like a calculated marketing decision. If he screws up its going to be a long, lonely fall.
    I help lead the youth group at my church. Last Sunday when one kid said something negative about someone else, one member of the group spoke up and said, "Quit hating like Plankton". (An explanation, if necessary - Plankton is a character in the TV show Sponge Bob. Plankton is negative about everything.)

Why are you hating on Teebow like Plankton?

We'll see in a year. There will be a lot of hardware for Mr. Tebow to pick up between now and then.

--Jason "other opinions?" Evans
    In my opinion, Tebow isn't any more talented a player than Tommy Frazier or the QB that followed him at Nebraska (can't recall the name, Scott Frost?). VY (yes that VY) was a better passer in college than Tebow as well.

He is however the perfect player for Urban Meyer's offense so long as the requisite weapons are around him. His battering ram running style doesn't really have a place in the NFL, and if he doesn't have playmakers on the edge, he loses some of his effectiveness in college against stout defenses. I really, really think Florida is going to miss Percy Harvin this year.

His Hesiman season was one for the ages (it was also the year Florida lost 4 games). But there is a whole, whole lot more to Florida's success over the last 3 years than Tim Tebow. ESPN just doesn't want you to think so.

In an effort to try to straighten this thread out and make it a little less PPB material...

What I find at least mildly interesting about Tebow is that he may be simultaneously the greatest college football player in a generation and just an "ok" NFL prospect at QB. I know it is nothing new for a kid to be more suited to the college game, but we are talking about what will likely be a multiple Heisman winner and, again, one of the all-timers in the college game.

Most mock drafts that I have seen have him as the 3rd or 4th best QB on the board. Clausen, Bradford, and Jevan Snead seems to be ahead of him in most mocks. Colt McCoy is highly regarded too. The consensus seems to be that he is probably a late first round draft pick, which is not bad at all. Many mocks say that some team will fall in love with him from a ticket sales and marketing standpoint (I've seen Jax and Washington linked to him in this regard) more than from a "it makes good football sense" position.

Anyway, when I watch Florida play, I sometimes try to imagine what Tebow will be like as a pro and I think the odds of him being a bust are pretty high. I could see him being a genuine wildcat QB -- one who can run the ball and legitimately throw it-- but I think he will take a real pounding in the pros. His basic mechanics when he is throwing the ball seem really weak to my mildly trained eye. He seems to miss a fair number of intermediate range throws. The experts say his release is waaay too long and his footwork is just terrible. They also say he locks onto a receiver and is bad at looking for 2nd and 3rd options (other than tucking it down and running it himself). He gets away with a lot of stuff in the college game, with superior Florida receivers and against outclassed opponents much of the time, that will prove fatal for a QB in the NFL.

We'll see in a year. There will be a lot of hardware for Mr. Tebow to pick up between now and then.

--Jason "other opinions?" Evans
    I actually happen to be very high on Colt McCoy. As far as Tebow goes - he's got tight end written all over him.

In the case of Charlie Ward - he didn't REALLY go undrafted. He told teams before hand that if he wasn't going in the first round as a QUARTERBACK (guaranteed money) then he was gonna play basketball. Nobody wanted him in the first round and Ward didn't even show up for the draft. He proceeded to become a point guard. Charlie is now in Houston and back to the sport he loves - football.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I actually happen to be very high on Colt McCoy. As far as Tebow goes - he's got tight end written all over him.

In the case of Charlie Ward - he didn't REALLY go undrafted. He told teams before hand that if he wasn't going in the first round as a QUARTERBACK (guaranteed money) then he was gonna play basketball. Nobody wanted him in the first round and Ward didn't even show up for the draft. He proceeded to become a point guard. Charlie is now in Houston and back to the sport he loves - football.
    If I remember correctly, Colt McCoy's life has some striking similarities to that of Tim Tebow.

If I had to choose between hearing about a lifestyle similar to that of Colt McCoy/ Tim Tebow and a college athlete who lives a "bad boy" lifestyle, I'd much prefer hearing about a guy who takes the high road in life.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    In my opinion, Tebow isn't any more talented a player than Tommy Frazier or the QB that followed him at Nebraska (can't recall the name, Scott Frost?). VY (yes that VY) was a better passer in college than Tebow as well.
    Eric Crouch was the replacement QB.

Didn't Tommy Frazier have a disease or something?

(checks wiki)

Yeah, he had blood clots and Crone's Disease. I seem to recall that is what kept him out of the NFL.

--Jason "yeah, he was a truly great one" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 09-30-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Clarity

I hope my post can add a little clarity without taking it into the no-longer-a-choice PP arena.

sagegrouse explained the comparison well. No one is "hating" on Tebow because he might have said something noteworthy. It's just that it sounds an awful lot like stuff we've heard before out of Hollywood ... and the Army. It's a bit like crying wolf - it may well be authentic, but we're pretty jaded by now of stories of heroism and bravery that turned out to be heavily embellished.

w/r/t his religious belief, I know of no one who thinks he is insincere. However, as pointed out in letters to SI a couple weeks ago, some people feel "you [don't] gotta love Tim Tebow" in light of the knowledge of the following points taken together (note, I have not verified these assertions for myself, but if true, I can understand some of the resentment)

- he is prominently featured on the website of his father's evangelical ministry
    - such site claims that 70-80% of people in the Philippines have not heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ
    - about the same percentage of Filipinos are Roman Catholic.

(I saved the page from SI but can't find it right now, otherwise I'd give the exact quote. Nevertheless, the gist is above).

As a teen I also held evangelical Christian views and was a member of a Southern Baptist church. I don't think it was at all uncommon among Southern Baptists in that time and place to believe that Catholics were "unsaved;" though I never held that view personally, I had a number of "elders" explain to me why it must be so.

If one can reasonably infer that the elder Tebow holds this view, and that the QB Tebow may as well (or at least does not disapprove of it), I think some of the eye-rolling and discomfort w/r/t what are inferred to be his religious views become more understandable. Of course one can't be certain what he thinks, but it is not hard to make the connections, and some do.

whereinthehellami

I can assure you that I do not idolize Tim Tebow or for that matter any man. And, you are correct, I do not "know" Tim Tebow, I only know what I read and see him do in the public arena. Based on those observations, I believe that he is a good guy and sincere in his faith. I also understand how you can get tired of hearing about someone, even the good guys. I felt that way for the last 4 years about Hansblah. I often mentioned that I would love for my kids to play the way Hansblah played, and he seemed to be a nice enough kid off the court. But I got tired of him, because of the way others talked about him AND the advantages I felt he was given via calls on the court. I do not see Tebow getting any special treatment on the field, but he does get a lot of press, and probably suffers from overexposure (not his fault). A friend of mine mentioned that he is waiting for the story of Tebow getting caught doing something illegal or immoral. That is sad in a way isn't it. We have a society where we tend to expect and celebrate the worst of our nature, while at the same time minimize and sometimes mock the good that is being done all around us. Sermon over!