Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta Rain

Atlanta Rain

Who else is getting these crazy storms that have been hitting Atlanta since last Wednesday? I read that we've gotten around 10 inches of rain, but I don't think that counts today which was just as heavy. Anybody have any good pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFencer View Post
    Who else is getting these crazy storms that have been hitting Atlanta since last Wednesday? I read that we've gotten around 10 inches of rain, but I don't think that counts today which was just as heavy. Anybody have any good pictures?
    One of the few times I'm happy to live on a steep hill.

Here's a weekly precipitation map if my linking works. Failing that here's a link to the web page where I got it. Atlanta and Ga have gotten drenched. I'm just I-85 in SC.

If you don't mind seeing occassional nsfw pics, here is a live updating stream of pictures posted on twitter with hashtag #atlflood:
    http://picfog.com/search/%23atlflood

I guess the draught is over.

I'm guessing that after the flood subsides, there will be gas shortages there again.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I'm guessing that after the flood subsides, there will be gas shortages there again.
    Naw - our gas is brought to us. Shouldn't even be an issue. I-20 was closed down this morning but I believe they have re-opened it. I drove into downtown this evening and things seem to have cleared big time.

The picture that blows my mind is the one of the Scream Machine:

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The picture that blows my mind is the one of the Scream Machine:

Actually all of 6 Flags is at the bottom of a hill on the south side of I-20. This is actually the area where the highway was closed down. That whole area was blocked off this morning forcing me to drive around looking for an open route to work.

Wowwwwwwwwww. That picture is insane.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Update - Interstate 20 was still shut down on the west side this morning.

Wow! Jason - Drew is crazy calm...

Caption contest!

"Opening in the fall of 2009, the Loch Ness Monstercoaster!"

"Like a bridge under troubled water..."

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So, here is my rain story.

There is a giant sinkhole across the street from my house.

It extends under the street, which is buckling and ready to collapse because there is no dirt underneath it anymore. The local authorities have shut down the street at my mailbox, blocking me from going north -- which is how I get to all-important I285.

I can still go South, which is how I take the kids to school, but I am looking at an 8-10 minute detour for anything North. I consider myself very lucky that this is all the damage these storms did to me (well, there was some minor roof leakage, but we've fixed that). We are also fortunate that when my neighbor's huge gate collapsed into the sinkhole, it did not break the huge water pipe in the hole, as shown here:

--Jason "I know a ton of folks have it a lot worse than me... schools across the city are closed again today-- third day in a row" Evans

Wow, Jason (& everyone else who has reported in that they're ok), y'all are really lucky! Glad to hear you're ok!

You silly atlanta people. A couple years ago you were complaining how bad your drought was and how restaurants wouldn't even serve people water when they asked for it. Well, be careful what you wish for.

I guess that is the one bright side in all this flooding. That rain pretty well ended the drought as far as the lake levels are concerned, in one fell swoop. A couple weeks before, they were saying the lakes might never make it back to pre-drought levels.

Hey, Jason, how is the sink hole doing?