Brunchgate 2009: 9/26 Edition

I'm guessing the tents will be up by noon in the Card Gym lot for the 7 PM game. Come by tent #8 and bring a brat, a beer (make it a good one) and a chair and enjoy some lively discussion, some FB on satellite TV, the Blue Devil Walk and maybe even a little crazietalk...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm guessing the tents will be up by noon in the Card Gym lot for the 7 PM game. Come by tent #8 and bring a brat, a beer (make it a good one) and a chair and enjoy some lively discussion, some FB on satellite TV, the Blue Devil Walk and maybe even a little crazietalk...
    I'm hoping they are up by 9am again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm hoping they are up by 9am again.
    I'll email Jacob and ask!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'll email Jacob and ask!
    See my answer where it really belongs!

9F 9F 9F

im back

For the first game I had limited time at the lunchgate, and had to fufil my duties in the press box. It was a good experiance, but being down on the field with the big time fans is unbeatable.

So I will be at the brunch/lunch gate bright and early saturday, and hopefully catch some of the State/Pitt game before Duke gets down and dirty against Central.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    For the first game I had limited time at the lunchgate, and had to fufil my duties in the press box. It was a good experiance, but being down on the field with the big time fans is unbeatable.

So I will be at the brunch/lunch gate bright and early saturday, and hopefully catch some of the State/Pitt game before Duke gets down and dirty against Central.
    We call it Brunchgate. Regardless of the food being served.

9F 9F 9F

You do realize that brunch is a meal that has never been served in the South, or in a rural area. It is an effete, urban, and Northern word. If we want Duke football to be considered a serious sport, I suggest we drop the word brunch from our collective vocabularies. We eat breakfast, dinner, and supper, down here, and we tailgate, we don't brunch. Do you think anyone in the SEC ever has brunch before a football game - NO!. They eat raw meat and drink cold beer.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Do you think any students ever eat before a football game - NO!. They drink cold beer.
    Y'all are doin it all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post

Will you be dragging your father along with you?

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    You do realize that brunch is a meal that has never been served in the South, or in a rural area. It is an effete, urban, and Northern word. If we want Duke football to be considered a serious sport, I suggest we drop the word brunch from our collective vocabularies. We eat breakfast, dinner, and supper, down here, and we tailgate, we don't brunch. Do you think anyone in the SEC ever has brunch before a football game - NO!. They eat raw meat and drink cold beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    Y'all are doin it all wrong.
    Well we're having an helluva good time and really don't give a flip how they do it in the SEC. Besides, what does the Securities and Exchange Commission have to do with football anyway?

By the way, I've never eaten supper in my life. In my house, we eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. And if we combine breakfast and lunch, well ...

9F 9F 9F

Well we're having an helluva good time and really don't give a flip how they do it in the SEC. Besides, what does the Securities and Exchange Commission have to do with football anyway?

By the way, I've never eaten supper in my life. In my house, we eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. And if we combine breakfast and lunch, well ...
    Well then maybe we should start doing it like the people in the SEC.

If you look at their records compared to ours... well you get the picture.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/inde...?date=20010501

It used to be the custom for workers to eat a big midday meal, called "dinner," and a lighter meal in the evening, called "supper." In the early part of the 19th century, many workers, especially in urban areas, began eating a lighter midday meal, originally called "luncheon," then shortened to "lunch." So the word "supper" was originally associated with the working class, especially in rural areas. In the 20th century, "supper" became the term used by most Americans for a simple, informal evening meal with family. (If it was fancier, as on Christmas or Thanksgiving Day, it was called "dinner.") In contrast to the working class, the middle class, especially in urban areas, used the term "dinner" for this evening meal, as explained in the Dictionary of American English (1940): "The dinner hour is usually in the evening among business, professional, and leisured classes. In rural communities and among many of the working people of the cities dinner is at noon, and to apply the term to the evening meal is felt to be an affectation."

First use of the word Brunch: Punch Magazine, August 1, 1896. "To be fashionable nowadays we must 'brunch'. Truly an excellent portmanteau word,

Indeed, many olderer Vermonters still refer to the midday meal as dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yep - the ones who worked for a living.

You wear work boots to breakfast, you wash up before dinner, you change out of your work clothes for supper, and you wear an ascot or cravat for brunch.

F/T/R the reason that most call it "Brunchgate" is my fault. As a long-time season ticket holder and hardcore Duke tailgater I've always been less-than-thrilled with the propensity for Duke's previous coaches to constantly choose the noon starts. Therefore when you're setting up (lighting the grill, pouring the first Bloody) at eight-frickin' o'clock, it doesn't really feel all that "tailgate-y". (I mean seriously, who wants to be stuffing down "cue" @ 10am?) Therefore, whenever we had the early KO time, I always told my friends it was more of a "brunchgate" than a tailgate and adjusted the menu accordingly.

Well, since I was psuedo-responsible for coalescing this group of ne'er-do-wells (DBRers/Brunchgaters/Crazietalkers) for the season opener last year (which was a 7pm KO) and they all enjoyed themselves so much, when we had our first noon game I dropped the term "Brunchgate" on them, and, given the collective IQ of our group is -8, the term has stuck

However, regardless of what we/you call it, I'll put our "_____gate" up against any other conference. Don't believe me-- stop by and see fo' yo' sef!

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    However, regardless of what we/you call it, I'll put our "BRUNCHgate" up against any other conference. Don't believe me-- stop by and see fo' yo' sef!
    Amen!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Are you awake by that time?

Missed you at the 9/5 Brunchgate. Will you be joining us this Saturday? I think I have an improper email address as it was returned to me on Monday or Tuesday when I tried to send it.

F/T/R the reason that most call it "Brunchgate" is my fault. As a long-time season ticket holder and hardcore Duke tailgater I've always been less-than-thrilled with the propensity for Duke's previous coaches to constantly choose the noon starts. Therefore when you're setting up (lighting the grill, pouring the first Bloody) at eight-frickin' o'clock, it doesn't really feel all that "tailgate-y". (I mean seriously, who wants to be stuffing down "cue" @ 10am?) Therefore, whenever we had the early KO time, I always told my friends it was more of a "brunchgate" than a tailgate and adjusted the menu accordingly.

Well, since I was psuedo-responsible for coalescing this group of ne'er-do-wells (DBRers/Brunchgaters/Crazietalkers) for the season opener last year (which was a 7pm KO) and they all enjoyed themselves so much, when we had our first noon game I dropped the term "Brunchgate" on them, and, given the collective IQ of our group is -8, the term has stuck

However, regardless of what we/you call it, I'll put our "_____gate" up against any other conference. Don't believe me-- stop by and see fo' yo' sef!
    Word - I'm still waiting for TNTDevil to go on the Food Network and kick Bobby Flay's tail(gate).

Mainly I was just having fun with Ozzie - however, I do remember my Eastern North Carolina grandmother once saying, when I asked about lunch, "Lunch is what they eat in the city - we eat dinner down here". I'll always remember that moment. She was dead serious.

And I fully agree with our quality surpassing that of any conference. My SEC coment was mainly aimed at the "B" word. Brunch has always struck me as a word that wasn't very football-like.
    Last edited by allenmurray; 09-24-2009 at 10:35 AM.

He's serious, folks. (most of the time anyway, but ESPECIALLY this time). This is not just hot air blowin' off the charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He's serious, folks. (most of the time anyway, but ESPECIALLY this time). This is not just hot air blowin' off the charcoal.
    I seem to recall sending over info on entering a tailgate competition. Anyone sign up to compete?