Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Elon, NC

    Surgeon Recommendation

    My 18 yr old son had a MRI on Tuesday and the radiologist concluded that there is evidence of a partial torn ACL and possible tear or strain of the PCL. Can anyone suggest a surgeon, with a good reputation, within the Durham or Chapel Hill area. We live in Alamance Country and will also be considering the Greensboro area.

    My son is a senior in high school and we would like to get him seen as soon as possible. He's been seen by a PA in a local ortho dept in Burlington but can't see the surgeon until mid-October. I'ld like to get him in sooner than that. H's been on crutches for the last two weeks and and is having some serious pain. Thanks.
    Tom Mac

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    My 18 yr old son had a MRI on Tuesday and the radiologist concluded that there is evidence of a partial torn ACL and possible tear or strain of the PCL. Can anyone suggest a surgeon, with a good reputation, within the Durham or Chapel Hill area. We live in Alamance Country and will also be considering the Greensboro area.

    My son is a senior in high school and we would like to get him seen as soon as possible. He's been seen by a PA in a local ortho dept in Burlington but can't see the surgeon until mid-October. I'ld like to get him in sooner than that. H's been on crutches for the last two weeks and and is having some serious pain. Thanks.
    Dr. Claude T. Moorman, head of Sports Medicine Clinic at Duke, specializes in knees and shoulders and is excellent in treating patients of all ages. http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians..._t_moorman_iii

  3. #3
    Triangle Orthopeadics has a large number of excellent sports med folks. They have their own orthapeadic urgent care and their own hospital (located just behind thier offices in Durham). Because of this they can often move much more quickly. Both my 15 year old son and my wife have been treated there and we were always very impressed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Triangle Orthopeadics has a large number of excellent sports med folks. They have their own orthapeadic urgent care and their own hospital (located just behind thier offices in Durham). Because of this they can often move much more quickly. Both my 15 year old son and my wife have been treated there and we were always very impressed.
    I've been to some of the surgeons in that group, too. They are good.

    I found it easy and quick to get in to see Dr. Moorman.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Dr. Claude T. Moorman, head of Sports Medicine Clinic at Duke, specializes in knees and shoulders and is excellent in treating patients of all ages. http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians..._t_moorman_iii
    Earlier this year Dr. William Garrett performed microfracture surgery on my left knee. I was happy with the care he and Duke Sports Medicine provided. http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians...m_e_garrett_jr

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Elon, NC
    Thanks for the recommendations. But,my wife is in the process of making an appointment with a Dr. Taft in Chapel Hill, based on our pediatrician's recommendation. Anyone know anything about him? Thanks.
    Tom Mac

  7. #7

    Tim Taft

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. But,my wife is in the process of making an appointment with a Dr. Taft in Chapel Hill, based on our pediatrician's recommendation. Anyone know anything about him? Thanks.
    He's a first rate fellow -- both personally and professionally. Of course, bear in mind, there is no bigger Tar Heel that TT.

    He's the orthopedist who has for years handled the UNC football, basketball and baseball teams' injuries. There's probably no one working in sports medicine in the US who has more experience.

    http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/genrel/071808aai.html

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Of course, bear in mind, there is no bigger Tar Heel that TT.
    Then, he'll love this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEInSyTHcpc

    The dog looks good, though

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Lee Diehl at Duke is a good reputation in this kind of surgery.

  10. #10
    We had a good surgeon with the sports teams back when in Greensboro, let me look through my cards for the names and numbers.

  11. #11

    Two more in Raleigh/Durham area

    Lyman Smith is a former Duke football and pro football (Dolphins/Vikings) player. He and his associates are generally held in very high esteem.

    http://www.raleighortho.com/Orthoped...r-Lyman-Smith/

    William Silver is with the previously mentioned Triangle Orthopedics. He currently works with the PGA and the Durham Bulls. The link below also lists his specialties.

    http://silverortho.com/About_Dr._Silver.html

    k

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Derm
    T Moorman has (unfortunately) replaced both my ACLs in the last five years with great success and I highly recommend him. Duke Sports Medicine does a great job from surgery through PT. I have heard good things about Taft as well.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    I think the orthos in sports medicine clinics tend to have great success because they are so oriented to get their patients up and going again.

    I'd have to say that I enjoyed my visits despite the pain involved. The atmosphere exudes sports, so if you're an athlete and/or love sports, it's a great environment for healing and getting back to moving about well.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lompoc, West Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    We had a good surgeon with the sports teams back when in Greensboro, let me look through my cards for the names and numbers.
    Greensboro Orthopedics has on many occasions been the ones contracted to be the 'on call' during the ACC tournament when played in Greensboro.
    Dr. Ronald Gioffre has attended the First Mate on more than one occasion, to her satisfaction. Although it was not for service to her knees.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Elon, NC
    Thanks for all the input. I thought we were going toward Dr Taft at UNC-CH but couldn't get in with him until Oct 6. So I encouraged my wife to call the Duke Sports Medicine Dept and see when we could get in there. Fortunately Dr. Garrett had an opening this afternoon (Monday), so we'll be keeping the business in the Duke family. Will post again when we have some news.
    Tom Mac

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I thought we were going toward Dr Taft at UNC-CH but couldn't get in with him until Oct 6. So I encouraged my wife to call the Duke Sports Medicine Dept and see when we could get in there. Fortunately Dr. Garrett had an opening this afternoon (Monday), so we'll be keeping the business in the Duke family. Will post again when we have some news.
    You've got a good in Dr. Garrett. He's team physician, perhaps a familiar face along the sidelines at football and men's basketball. http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians...m_e_garrett_jr

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    My 18 yr old son had a MRI on Tuesday and the radiologist concluded that there is evidence of a partial torn ACL and possible tear or strain of the PCL. Can anyone suggest a surgeon, with a good reputation, within the Durham or Chapel Hill area. We live in Alamance Country and will also be considering the Greensboro area.

    My son is a senior in high school and we would like to get him seen as soon as possible. He's been seen by a PA in a local ortho dept in Burlington but can't see the surgeon until mid-October. I'ld like to get him in sooner than that. H's been on crutches for the last two weeks and and is having some serious pain. Thanks.
    If the ACL is only partially torn, I would think that surgery isn't necessary. A partially torn ACL will likely heal on its own given time. If the PCL is torn, that's another story. If your son is still in a lot of pain, there may be some damage to his menisci (the cartilage) and that should be repaired. However, at his age I would strongly recommend not having reconstructive surgery unless the ACL is completely torn. It is a brutal rehab and his knee will never be the same. On the other hand, if it is a partial tear, it should heal over time and physical therapy can help strengthen the leg so the knee is actually stronger than before the injury.

    Here is a forum you might want to review - and there is a lot of other information on the internet. http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/...surgery-or-not

    It's a lot to consider, but my view is avoid invasive surgery at all costs.
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Elon, NC
    My son saw Dr Bill Garrett at the Duke Sports Medicine Clinic on Monday. There was both good and not so good news. The good news is that after a thorough physical exam and studying the MRI, Dr Garrett doesn't believe there are any ligament tears, only possible a cyst. The not so good news is that he couldn't really explain why my son's knee is so painful. The pain came on rather suddenly a little over two weeks ago and he hasn't been able to put weight on the leg since. Dr Garrett prescribed him a 5-6 day course of steroid for inflamation and is to see him again next Monday. Hopefully the steroid will help.

    While at the Duke Sports medicine clinic, we waited for a while in the waiting room on the third floor. What a fantastic view of Wallace Wade Stadium from there !! Does anyone get to watch football games from this room? It would be a fantastic experience to see a game from there.
    Tom Mac

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for sharing. I hope your son finds the right path to recovery. My last post-op appt with Dr. Garrett is this afternoon. He performed micro-fracture surgery on my knee in March. Overall I'm happy with how it turned out. Another friend of mine had a cyst on a tendon in his knee that Dr. Garrett removed in December.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    My son saw Dr Bill Garrett at the Duke Sports Medicine Clinic on Monday. There was both good and not so good news. The good news is that after a thorough physical exam and studying the MRI, Dr Garrett doesn't believe there are any ligament tears, only possible a cyst. The not so good news is that he couldn't really explain why my son's knee is so painful. The pain came on rather suddenly a little over two weeks ago and he hasn't been able to put weight on the leg since. Dr Garrett prescribed him a 5-6 day course of steroid for inflamation and is to see him again next Monday. Hopefully the steroid will help.

    While at the Duke Sports medicine clinic, we waited for a while in the waiting room on the third floor. What a fantastic view of Wallace Wade Stadium from there !! Does anyone get to watch football games from this room? It would be a fantastic experience to see a game from there.
    Yes, that area of Finch Yeager does at least double duty.... waiting room during the week and viewing area for football games. I think over the years which groups use that area may have changed a bit. I thought at one time it was used as the press box. Many years ago I think that was the area where there were refreshments for the Iron Dukes before basketball games. Maybe Bill Brill or Jim Sumner can comment.

Similar Threads

  1. Book Recommendation
    By rockymtn devil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 03:09 PM
  2. Books recommendation
    By chi in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 11:29 AM
  3. Anyone know a good surgeon?
    By AluminumDuke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •