Unhappy Mary Travers dies

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/ar...ravers.html?hp

This is truly upsetting. I am of an age such that Peter, Paul and Mary are part of the fabric of my life. Their music plus their anti-war stand and advocacy of civil rights helped me do what was right.

Her best traveling songs on YouTube:

500 Miles

I'm Leavin' on a Jet Plane

I loved you, Babe. Travel well.

And I have to shed a tear for all the great things leaving from when I was young...

RIP

This hurts. I didn't always agree with P, P, and M, but never questioned their patriotism, honesty, and fervor.

Mary (as the linked article says) was certainly the magnet that drew people to the group. America has lost one of its finest.

I thought I'd add 'Leavin' on a Jet Plane.' She's not the lead, but the message could be for her.

I own an old vinyl entitled "Mary" which was recorded in early December 1970. She was trying to go it alone -- and the album is really remarkable. One of the guitarists is John Denver. He also gave her two of his songs, Rhymes and Reasons and Follow Me. She also recorded pre-Flack, The First Time Ever I saw Your Face (Ewan McColl). Other writers were Rod McKuen, Elton John, Petula Clark and Paul Simon. And, with Denver in the studio, she sang "I Guess He'd Rather be in Colorado." (Danoff & Nivert)

The album never was much of a hit, but she is really remarkable on it.