Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cameron Seating Update

From a Duke press release

"Duke University's Cameron Indoor Stadium, the crown jewel of college basketball's classic venues, has undergone a series of improvements this summer to enhance the gameday experience, while also retaining the revered qualities of the facility as it approaches its 70th year as the home of the Blue Devils.

"Immediately following last season, we encouraged the Duke Athletics staff to enhance the gameday experience within what is commonly referred to as the very best venue in college basketball," said Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White. "The results of that effort are outstanding. The fresh new look of the building does not compromise any of the traditional aspects that have long made Cameron Indoor Stadium the pinnacle cathedral for college basketball within our country. Needless to say, given these upgrades, we are all extremely excited about the upcoming season."

A reconfiguration of courtside seating will enable Duke to build on the existing spirited gameday experience for the student body. Graduate students will now be able to occupy seats in both the north and south ends of Cameron. This change will place some of Duke's most creative and energetic fans behind both baskets, giving the opposition a challenging shooting background during both halves of action. Undergraduate seating will be virtually unchanged as college basketball's best student section will remain courtside in Section 17. In the new configuration, the total number of seats available to undergraduate students on a game-by-game basis will be unaffected. Additionally, Duke was able to create premium seating for sponsors, donors, alumni and prominent guests located on padded blue seats directly behind the scorer's table.

In front of the undergrads will be a new state-of-the-art press table featuring 90-feet of LED (light emitting diode) technology. The new press row will improve crowding in the first row of the student section and features two aisles that will help fans and media members in and out of their seats at halftime and after the game.

One of the most visible enhancements came in the upper bowl of Cameron where all 5,649 seats were painted Duke blue in conjunction with an extensive pressure washing of the seats, concrete, railing and tunnels. Each of the distinctive brass railings that surround the arena will be refurbished prior to the beginning of the 2009-10 basketball season.

"Cameron Indoor Stadium is already one of the treasures in college athletics," said head coach Mike Krzyzewski. "Getting the graduate students behind both baskets, while keeping our undergraduate student section courtside, will create even more of a home court advantage for the team. We are fortunate to have the best fan base in the country, so to be able to enhance the gameday atmosphere is very exciting for our program. Personally, I love the new look of the stadium and can't wait to see it full of Cameron Crazies and Duke fans throughout the 2009-10 season."

So are the undergrads moved back a bit from the scorers' table? Will they still be able to do this?:

http://z.about.com/d/collegebasketba...-/84436454.jpg

Lol we can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    Lol we can only hope.
    they certainly mean on the opposite side of the court.

im not sure how adding these padded blue seats on that side though will leave the number of undergrad seats unchanged. possibly eliminating the buffer and making these the sold seats?

So, section 19 will be affected. I wonder how many rows of these padded seats they're going to have behind the table.

Considering K's extremely busy day, it was an honor that he came to speak to us. He seems really passionate and excited about this upcoming season!

K''s day

Quote Originally Posted by ddsdevil View Post
    Considering K's extremely busy day, it was an honor that he came to speak to us.
    Yeah, because he was at the Duke-Army game. Both he and President Brodhead were at the Alumni Association affair prior to the game.
    I actually got to speak to him, although it was somewhat similar to Aubrey's "Aubrey, could I trouble you for the salt?" conversation with Lord Nelson. I was headed out of the pregame affair, released that I had forgotten something, turned around and nearly ran into him and Mrs K who were right behind us. I said "Excuse me. Coach" at the same time as he was saying "Oops, please excuse, us.".
    Not much, but at least I can say i have had a personal exchange with K.

No answers, only questions... for starters, I thought "north" and "south" were the undergraduate (long) sections.

Anyway, if the total number of undergrad seats really is unchanged, the only way they can fit an aisle in behind press row is to make the student benches narrower. Otherwise you'd have to get rid of a row. There's no room there.

I presume the people who used to sit next to the band will now be moved behind the scorer's table. Furthermore, it seems almost all the remaining undergrad seats on the "south/behind the team benches/non-teevee" side will be in the corners. Will there be any undergrad seats above the buffer zone behind the visitors' bench, where BOGgers used to stand?

Finally, the court-length LED board will probably be used for advertising. Why else would it be there? I miss the understated brass D.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Finally, the court-length LED board will probably be used for advertising. Why else would it be there?
    We could always do like Kentucky and UNC and use it to talk about how awesome we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    We could always do like Kentucky and UNC and use it to talk about how awesome we are.
    Something like, "Welcome to 'Duke University's Cameron Indoor Stadium, the crown jewel of college basketball's classic venues'"?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Brilliant! How about we invent some additional national titles, while we're at it... we were National Champions in... um... 1849-52, 1734 and 43 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    Brilliant! How about we invent some additional national titles, while we're at it... we were National Champions in... um... 1849-52, 1734 and 43 B.C.
    That's how I remember it!

In fairness, the 43 B.C. title is controversial. Remember Kentucky was on probation that year and thus was ineligible.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    In fairness, the 43 B.C. title is controversial. Remember Kentucky was on probation that year and thus was ineligible.
    That is true, but that year the Helms Foundation voted us, as well.

We got the bread vote!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Also, our star player did bow and arrow an opponent's player in the face and so really should have been ejected before he could have hit that game winning shot in the tournament.

But to balance things out, John Wooden's teams still had an unfair advantage playing in the west. So it probably comes out about right.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    Something like, "Welcome to 'Duke University's Cameron Indoor Stadium, the crown jewel of college basketball's classic venues'"?
    Yeah, I wouldn't have minded if they had gone with "A" crown jewel personally. There are many cliche-worthy venues along with Cameron. But that's their job, to aggrandize the university and the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley2Hill View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't have minded if they had gone with "A" crown jewel personally. There are many cliche-worthy venues along with Cameron. But that's their job, to aggrandize the university and the program.
    Yeah, I don't fault the marketing folks. I was just jabbing at the poster in the thread who was cracking on UNC and UK for self-aggrandizement. Now, please, by all means, continue cracking on UNC and UK.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelongdevil View Post
    they certainly mean on the opposite side of the court.

im not sure how adding these padded blue seats on that side though will leave the number of undergrad seats unchanged. possibly eliminating the buffer and making these the sold seats?
    I'm not sure why it matters that it's the "opposite side of the court"...it still sees inbound plays. Moving the students back (anywhere) will give opposing players some extra breathing room. Here is the discussion in today's Chronicle about press row, which is featured in that photo.

A new press row area will also be constructed, giving reporters and students in the first row more space.
    So yeah, unless that means lateral space, "more space" seems to mean that students will be moved back from the court to make room for the extra aisle. I'm not a fan of that.

As for the number of undergrad seats not changing:

seats in the center of the section-between the two teams' benches-will be relocated to the corners of Section 17.
    So undergrads will be relocated to the corners. I'm not a fan of that either.

Duke spokesman Jon Jackson wrote in an email that the last row of section 19, which spans the courtside bleachers opposite the undergraduate section, will still be open to students.
    So, this new section will not just be a row or two...it will extend all the way back to the last row. It displaces a large section of student Crazies in favor of sponsors/alumni/guests. Yeah, it's cool to have the Mannings visit CIS, but will these people actually contribute to the atmosphere more than the undergrads??? If they don't, then this is not really creating a greater "home court advantage for the team" in any way whatsoever.

Chronicle link:

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...-3771941.shtml

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    So are the undergrads moved back a bit from the scorers' table? Will they still be able to do this?:

http://z.about.com/d/collegebasketba...-/84436454.jpg
    I've always thought this was just a bad idea and just a disaster waiting to happen. With the Duke shades on, it seems cool but if you take the Duke shades off, its not cool to have players exposed to fans that can interrupt the play with physical contact.

One change I'd like to see that will never happen for rather obvious reasons is a complete removal of the press row. Okay, maybe that's a little too harsh. Thank you Jim and Chronicle writers and a couple others for actually paying attention to the game and taking detailed notes from action that only someone in your prime vantage point would be privy to then relaying that information coherently to all of us. It's just that the vast majority of writers don't seem to take very many insightful notes at all. They keep a running tally of the score (something easily accessible with their laptops in real time anyways), and a lot of the time they have their story written on their computers before the opening tip. They just fill in the blanks later. Quite a few times I'd see "The crazies were too much for [lower conference team]..." even before we all filed into the stand. I was constantly disappointed reading the next day article of reporter who sat in front of me. He/She could have written the same thing from his/her living room. It appears as if they're just taking up close spots that could have been occupied by students.