Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Midnight Madness....

Does anyone know if Duke is going to have the Midnight Madness next year or not....is it too soon for that announcement. I have been once when it was open to the public and thought it was awsome, but they haven't done it the past couple of years have they??? I wish they would bring it back.

The official night of midnight madness usually falls out on the students fall break. They had it in 2003, and dubbed it "Lights, Cameron, Action" (fun fact - I was in a sports marketing class at Duke at the time and I actually came up with that slogan - it was the same one that was on the poster for that year).

I just remember there was a dismal turnout for the event so I am not sure they would have it again. The Blue - White game over parents weekend is usually the official kickoff of teh Duke season for the fans i think.

Only once?

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    Does anyone know if Duke is going to have the Midnight Madness next year or not....is it too soon for that announcement. I have been once when it was open to the public and thought it was awsome, but they haven't done it the past couple of years have they??? I wish they would bring it back.
    I can only remember us ever doing it once. I've got no reason to believe we'd do it again.

Interesting.....

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I can only remember us ever doing it once. I've got no reason to believe we'd do it again.
    I don't know why Duke doesn't do it....It seems to be a big deal at a lot of other colleges. I played a Division III school and even our school made a big deal out if and had a good turn out. It's good for the fans and players, I don't see why you wouldn't do it.

Blue/White = Duke's MM

Steven is right. The Blue-White Scrimmage during Parents' weekend is Duke's Midnight Madness for all intents and purposes. It usually takes place one of the last two weekends of October or the first weekend of November. The problem is that with so many parents in town, it makes it hard for the public to get access. I know a lot of kids also have their siblings come down that weekend (I did), so it's even hard for all the students to get in.
    Last edited by Classof06; 04-23-2007 at 01:20 PM.

atmosphere, excitement

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I don't know why Duke doesn't do it....It seems to be a big deal at a lot of other colleges. I played a Division III school and even our school made a big deal out if and had a good turn out. It's good for the fans and players, I don't see why you wouldn't do it.
    I guess a lot of schools would do it to create an atmosphere of excitement, get everyone pumped about the beginning of the season, maybe sell some additional tickets....

I could understand our athletic dept not really seeing a benefit to it - we have all these things already, why spend the extra money for nothing?