Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I just wish that Paulus had been our QB vs Richmond. I think Coach Cut made a mistake letting him go. From all I can tell he would have done better than Thaddeus Lewis and he would still be at Duke.

GO DUKE!
    I sure would have liked to see GP in a football uniform 5 years ago, but I don't know how you take a 2nd Team All-ACC QB and replace him with a very talented young man who hasn't played in four years. Lewis went out there and threw for 350 yds under pressure, making 55 pass attempts with no INTs, and 2 TDs... while the running game, O-line, defensive front and special teams didn't do their part. I don't see how a rough around the edges GP makes yesterday's game any better.

Anyway, probably should talk about that in the other thread...

Here's to Greg and great success in Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    BTW, here is Greg's press conference post game; a lot of interesting and supportive comments... a lot of Syracuse folks feel like he talks like a coach. Love to hear that.

http://videos.syracuse.com/post-stan...ootball_1.html
    nothing we didn't know already...greg is gonna be very successful...

I might be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I sure would have liked to see GP in a football uniform 5 years ago, but I don't know how you take a 2nd Team All-ACC QB and replace him with a very talented young man who hasn't played in four years. Lewis went out there and threw for 350 yds under pressure, making 55 pass attempts with no INTs, and 2 TDs... while the running game, O-line, defensive front and special teams didn't do their part. I don't see how a rough around the edges GP makes yesterday's game any better.

Hi,

I might have been overly emotional after a tough loss. I want Duke to win in football so, so badly it might cloud my judgment. I have nothing against Thad, and want him to do well.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post

Greg did not look too rough around the edges versus Minn. - did you watch the game? Watch his presser linked above.

The question for Duke is at this point: how we might have done with a play maker like Sean Renfree in the Richmond game? Or how might we have done with an accurate short to mid passer like Sean Schroeder? When you are not winning and not making plays, discussion first focuses on the qbs. Sorry, I dont buy Cut is infallible in his QB predilections. He said Greg could not learn his offense, but now Greg has learned a more complicated approach at Syracuse.

I too wish that Greg had played Football for Duke, starting in his junior year. We may have won a lot more games. We cant change that now - nonetheless, many of us have become big Syracuse Football fans.
    Last edited by formerdukeathlete; 09-07-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    Greg did not look too rough around the edges versus Minn. - did you watch the game? Watch his presser linked above.

The question for Duke is at this point: how we might have done with a play maker like Sean Renfree in the Richmond game? Or how might we have done with an accurate short to mid passer like Sean Schroeder? When you are not winning and not making plays, discussion first focuses on the qbs. Sorry, I dont buy Cut is infallible in his QB predilections. He said Greg could not learn his offense, but now Greg has learned a more complicated approach at Syracuse.

I too wish that Greg had played Football for Duke, starting in his junior year. We may have won a lot more games. We cant change that now - nonetheless, many of us have become big Syracuse Football fans.
    I didn't watch the SU game, I was throwing gear in the car and heading over to Wallace Wade at the time. I saw the highlights and the presser. Greg's a very talented young man, an excellent leader and communicator, and will be doing great things for Syracuse this year.

I'm just not sure what the obsession is with Lewis (who said Cut is infallible?). I just don't see how Paulus, Renfree or Schroeder would have helped:
    • our O-line maintaining a pocket or making gaps
    • our run game going anywhere
    • our defensive front putting any kind of pressure on Ward
    • our kicker making not-too-difficult kicks
    • our punt protection

Lewis had a serviceable 350 yd/2TD game yesterday. He overthrew a couple guys, underthrew a couple, and some guys dropped some they should have had. But had our special teams played like they should have, we wouldn't even be having this discussion about him today. Well, I suppose some people might have found a way to talk about him.

Again, let's take this to the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    We cant change that now - nonetheless, many of us have become big Syracuse Football fans.
    Well... I'm not sure I'm a Syracuse Football fan yet, but I was, am, and will always be a GREG PAULUS fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    BTW, here is Greg's press conference post game; a lot of interesting and supportive comments... a lot of Syracuse folks feel like he talks like a coach. Love to hear that.

http://videos.syracuse.com/post-stan...ootball_1.html
    One thing that caught my attention on Greg's post game comments... he actually took the "hit" (blame) for the first play snap over his head... citing "rushed" set up, not good communication, etc. That's a team captain, if there ever was one. Also, his taking the responsibility for the second half woes of the offense... even if there were a few dropped passes and penalties that might have made a difference. Greg is one hell of a leader. I wish him all the best.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I'm a big Paulus fan and thinked he looked okay. But he made a terrible decision with that pass that cost Syracuse the game in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I'm a big Paulus fan and thinked he looked okay. But he made a terrible decision with that pass that cost Syracuse the game in OT.
    That was part of the rust he needed to knock off. Hopefully he'll learn from it.

And no, Minnesota is an okay team, but not very good. However, with the recent woes at Syracuse, taking a team like that to overtime and fighting hard is quite an accomplishment, and a lot of that is thanks to Paulus. His receivers dropped SEVERAL passes that might have gotten them first downs. As the game went on, though, his guys started playing better. I think he's starting to make them believe, which is a HUGE thing.

The cool thing was hearing Donnovan McNabb, one of the all-time Syracuse greats at QB, praising him. That's a big compliment coming from him.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post

i prefer to think that the 'Cuse defense not holding MN in the overtime was what lost the game for them...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i prefer to think that the 'Cuse defense not holding MN in the overtime was what lost the game for them...
    True, but if he'd just thrown it out of the end zone, they'd have had a chip shot field goal for the lead.

Syracuse vs Penn State

Greg and Syracuse have a challenge this coming Saturday when they travel to Happy Valley to play Penn State. The Nittany Lions are a Top 10 team with a very good defense; they are not blitz-happy but produce good pressure with their D-Line and occasional rushes by the LB's.

Syracuse is a decided under-dog in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Syracuse is a decided under-dog in this one.
    Yep, Penn State is a 28.5 pt favorite according to Vegas. Will definitely be a big challenge.

I think we saw about what I expected out of Paulus in that game. He was immediately competent and helped Syracuse avoid getting run out early. No, Minnesota's not a great team, but they're a middle of the Big Ten team and have been a consistent low bowl team the last 5 or 6 years. They're a lot better than Syracuse was last year, and probably better than they showed much of the game Saturday.

All that said, obviously the big mistake was a big mistake. Also, dropped passes or no, a new defensive coordinator with a middling Big Ten defense made enough adjustments at halftime to completely shut down 'cuse's offense in the second half. To the tune of about 60 total yards and no points. Paulus looked accurate and solid, making possession passes and dumps over the middle in the first half, but once there was some pressure on him, he had a good bit of trouble, missed some open guys and went down pretty easily with contact.

Add to that the fact that MN's also got a new offensive coordinator who's completely overhauled the scheme there (as evidenced by the total lack of identity his offense showed the first 3+ quarters), and the 10 penalties for about 100 yards committed by the Gophers, and reasonably speaking Syracuse probably shouldn't have been in this game. My guess is if they had played again Sunday Minnesota would have won pretty easily. By the 4th quarter, they had Decker established to the point Green was consistently wide open, and the defense had Syracuse by the throat. However, without a steadying influence at QB, Syr. could easily have gotten trounced as it was, so there's no question Paulus helped them.

For what it's worth, Joe Paterno's favorably impressed. Of course, he could just be giving them the Lou Holtz upcoming opponent treatment. http://ericthomas.wordpress.com/2009...-transcript-2/ There's a good chance Penn State throttles Syracuse this weekend. Paulus will only get better, but he'll have to quickly or it could get ugly before the Big East provides some easier games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    No, Minnesota's not a great team, but they're a middle of the Big Ten team and have been a consistent low bowl team the last 5 or 6 years. They're a lot better than Syracuse was last year, and probably better than they showed much of the game Saturday.

All that said, obviously the big mistake was a big mistake. Also, dropped passes or no, a new defensive coordinator with a middling Big Ten defense made enough adjustments at halftime to completely shut down 'cuse's offense in the second half.

That new Minny defensive coordinator replaced none other than Ted Roof. The 2007 Minny defense was really bad, but they did show significant improvement in 2008 under Roof, who since has gone to Auburn. So we narrowly missed ex-Duke vs ex-Duke.

And you're right about Joe Paterno in his praise of opponents; he does tend to build them up. Reading the Penn State boards, a number of the defensive players candidly have been impressed in watching Paulus on film, calling him "obviously a great athlete" to have picked up the offense and position so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I think we saw about what I expected out of Paulus in that game. He was immediately competent and helped Syracuse avoid getting run out early. No, Minnesota's not a great team, but they're a middle of the Big Ten team and have been a consistent low bowl team the last 5 or 6 years. They're a lot better than Syracuse was last year, and probably better than they showed much of the game Saturday.

All that said, obviously the big mistake was a big mistake. Also, dropped passes or no, a new defensive coordinator with a middling Big Ten defense made enough adjustments at halftime to completely shut down 'cuse's offense in the second half. To the tune of about 60 total yards and no points. Paulus looked accurate and solid, making possession passes and dumps over the middle in the first half, but once there was some pressure on him, he had a good bit of trouble, missed some open guys and went down pretty easily with contact.

Add to that the fact that MN's also got a new offensive coordinator who's completely overhauled the scheme there (as evidenced by the total lack of identity his offense showed the first 3+ quarters), and the 10 penalties for about 100 yards committed by the Gophers, and reasonably speaking Syracuse probably shouldn't have been in this game. My guess is if they had played again Sunday Minnesota would have won pretty easily. By the 4th quarter, they had Decker established to the point Green was consistently wide open, and the defense had Syracuse by the throat. However, without a steadying influence at QB, Syr. could easily have gotten trounced as it was, so there's no question Paulus helped them.

For what it's worth, Joe Paterno's favorably impressed. Of course, he could just be giving them the Lou Holtz upcoming opponent treatment. http://ericthomas.wordpress.com/2009...-transcript-2/ There's a good chance Penn State throttles Syracuse this weekend. Paulus will only get better, but he'll have to quickly or it could get ugly before the Big East provides some easier games.
    An easier link to Joe Pa's comments
    http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootb...no_sees_a.html

' "Syracuse looks like a pretty darn good football team to me," he said after looking at SU's 23-20 overtime loss to Minnesota. "Maybe they weren't so good last year, but this is a different year. This is a different kind of football team. They hustled and made some plays."

Paterno believes much of the transformation is due to the addition of senior quarterback Greg Paulus. "Paulus has helped them tremendously," Paterno said. "He's a guy who's used to winning, who likes to compete. His personality has affected that team. He has them believing they can play with anybody."

'''''''''''

"They're just a different team," he said. "They're running to the ball and tackling better. They have a great scheme on defense. They give you an awful lot of problems. It's a tough team." '

I think your take on Paulus is a minority view. Paulus was under pressure in the first half as well and that 8 yard run put the MN secondary on their heels. Dropped passes, very easily caught dropped passes were the difference in the game. How about the MN touchdown due to the poor snap first play? That would not happen in a second game. I have a different sense. That if the teams played again Syracuse would win. Listening to Cutcliffe's 9-8 press conference he faulted our qb for not reading and then adjusting to the defensive schemes which were stopping our running game. Greg Paulus read what was going on, did what he could given what his teammates were capable of. As Roy White mentioned, Penn State players are a buzz about what Syracuse and Paulus will throw at them and adjust to. 28.5 point spread. My guess is that the score will be closer, even though Penn State is extremely talented.

Does anyone know how to watch and/or listen to Syracuse vs. Penn St tomorrow if you don't live in Big East territory?

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Does anyone know how to watch and/or listen to Syracuse vs. Penn St tomorrow if you don't live in Big East territory?
    It is on the Big10 Network, which is available on many cable packages and available on DirecTV. The game is on channel 610 on DirecTV in my area (NC), while the Duke game is on channel 613, both games kicking off at noon Eastern time.

Greg had a tough game yesterday against Penn State.

He ended up 14-20 for 105 yards with 1 TD and 2 Int.(both on tipped balls); was sacked twice and flushed out of the pocket several other times. Made some good short throws; not much of a vertical passing game. Either that's not a big part of Syracuse's gameplan or they didn't have the time to throw. On several possessions, Greg alternated with a second Syracuse QB.

Paulus

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Greg had a tough game yesterday against Penn State.

He ended up 14-20 for 105 yards with 1 TD and 2 Int.(both on tipped balls); was sacked twice and flushed out of the pocket several other times. Made some good short throws; not much of a vertical passing game. Either that's not a big part of Syracuse's gameplan or they didn't have the time to throw. On several possessions, Greg alternated with a second Syracuse QB.
    He also had a in the numbers touchdown pass dropped in the endzone. That was a big play as it could have given Syracuse a little more confidence. Paulus is a very accurate passer and has a lot of poise. But they were playing Penn State at Penn State- and that will a rough time for anyone. BTW- I thought Syracuse was in the Big East- Paulus gets three Big Ten teams in a row.