Superhero movie news

So, I was reading through some of the movie industry trades today and came across the following updates--

Fox has hired a writer and producer to work on a "reboot" of Fantastic Four. It is still in the early stages, so there is no word yet if any of the stars of the first two films will return. I certainly hope not as I found both films to be a big disappointment.

Spiderman 4 is set for early production and filming in 2010 with an eye toward a summer 2011 release. Columbia has already hired a screenwriter to work on scripts for Spidey 5 and 6, though it is generally assumed that Tobey McGuire and the rest of the high-profile cast and crew of the first 4 films will not participate in #5 and #6.

Principal photography began just a few days ago on Green Hornet starring Seth Rogan. It was oringially scheduled to release in July of next year but is now being given a December 17th, 2010 release date. Cameron Diaz and Edward James Olmos are also appearing in the film. Apparently there are last minute negotiations going on that could give Nicholas Cage a key role in the flick too.

Development has begun on a sequel to Hancock with Will Smith and Charlize Theron set to return. Peter Berg will be back as director too.

Photos are leaking from the filming of Iron Man 2, including this one of Mickey Rourke as the bad guy in the film:

Fox is working on a script for an XMen: Wolverine sequel. It already has scripts finished for XMen: First Class (on the start of Dr. Xavier's School for Extraordinary Children) and XMen Origins: Magneto (will it take place at least partially in a concentration camp?).

--Jason "I am such a geek!!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm expecting WB to drop some superhero movie news soon, in order to counter all the Marvel/ Disney press. Perhaps confirmation of Batman 3 would be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I'm expecting WB to drop some superhero movie news soon, in order to counter all the Marvel/ Disney press. Perhaps confirmation of Batman 3 would be in order.
    Getting information out of WB/DC is like pulling teeth. Ryan Reynolds was cast as the Green Lantern with nary a peep. Green Lantern is arguably a top ten character from the combined comic book world. They are making a Lobo film before Wonder Woman, or the Flash or even Captain Marvel. I'm hoping this does not happen to Marvel when it's apart of Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Getting information out of WB/DC is like pulling teeth. Ryan Reynolds was cast as the Green Lantern with nary a peep. Green Lantern is arguably a top ten character from the combined comic book world.
    I actually do not mind this. Ryan Reynolds is a real favorite of mine and I don't mind if he brings some humor to the role.

You are probably gonna hate me for saying this, but I really liked him in Blade 3. He showed he has some butt-kicking, action hero potential there.

--Jason "" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I actually do not mind this. Ryan Reynolds is a real favorite of mine and I don't mind if he brings some humor to the role.

You are probably gonna hate me for saying this, but I really liked him in Blade 3. He showed he has some butt-kicking, action hero potential there.

--Jason "" Evans
    Not at all, I also really like Ryan Reynolds. I always though most people did. I think he was the best part of Blade: Trinity. He was perfect as the "normal" Deadpool in Wolverine and one of the few good things in that movie. I just found it strange that WB wouldn't make more of big deal about it.

Personally, I think he would have been a better Kyle Rayner than Hal Jordon but I'm lookiing forward to the flick.

So which gets made first - the Ryan Reynolds GL movie, or the Ryan Reynolds Deadpool movie? My money's on Deadpool.

All of those sound awesome. I can't wait. Not sure about Seth Rogan as the Green Lantern though. I hope they've started him on a diet and exercise program.

I've heard rumors through the years about another Superman. Are they gonna resurrect the man of steel, or is he done for the time being?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    All of those sound awesome. I can't wait. Not sure about Seth Rogan as the Green Lantern though. I hope they've started him on a diet and exercise program.

I've heard rumors through the years about another Superman. Are they gonna resurrect the man of steel, or is he done for the time being?
    Warner Brothers has to start a new Superman movie by 2011 or they loss the movie rights. DC does not hold all the rights to Superman. If DC and the Siegel family do not come to an agreement, DC could lose Superman after 2013.

Um, who owns it then?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Um, who owns it then?
    It's convoluted. Right now the Siegel & Shuster familes own the orgins story and the Smallville years. DC owns most of his powers, his weaknesses, the ability to fly and most of the rogues gallery. From my understanding all rights go back the the Siegel & Shuster estates in 2013.

http://screenrant.com/disney-marvel-...an-kofi-23726/

First photos are emerging from the Green Hornet set. Sadly, nothing yet of Seth Rogan in his Green hornet outfit.

--Jason "I really, really hope this does not suck" Evans

It's gonna take a LOT of CGI to give Seth the abs from that picture up there. Either that or a REALLY heavy rubber suit.

Ryan Reynolds will do...

whatever Scarlett Johannsen tells him to do.

It's convoluted. Right now the Siegel & Shuster familes own the orgins story and the Smallville years. DC owns most of his powers, his weaknesses, the ability to fly and most of the rogues gallery. From my understanding all rights go back the the Siegel & Shuster estates in 2013.

http://screenrant.com/disney-marvel-...an-kofi-23726/

To clarify - the current lawsuit is over the copyright. DC/WB may well lose the copyright in 2013, but they will still own the trademarks.

I think Seth Rogen is playing the Green HORNET. Ryan Reynolds is signed on as the Green LANTERN.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Getting information out of WB/DC is like pulling teeth. Ryan Reynolds was cast as the Green Lantern with nary a peep. Green Lantern is arguably a top ten character from the combined comic book world. They are making a Lobo film before Wonder Woman, or the Flash or even Captain Marvel. I'm hoping this does not happen to Marvel when it's apart of Disney.
    Well, there was a little news on the movie/TV front from DC this week.

I think Lobo gets made before WW because that character is tough to do right, and who cares if they get Lobo "right". (To the public, at least.) I think the same reason other Marvel characters headline movies before Captain America. (Although I believe WW is far better known, thanks mainly to the Super Friends and Lynda Carter.)

The Losers (not sure if it's the Vertigo comic or the oldtime war comic) is starting up filming, Human Target is set for ABC in January. And Jonah Hex gets released later this fall, I believe. Definitely not headliners, but then again, neither was Men In Black for Marvel.

It appears that DC was holding more movie/TV announcements until early next year, the 75th anniversary of the company (New Comics #1 was published in 1935, later to be called New Adventure and then Adventure Comics). However the Disney/Marvel deal moved up DC's restructuring announcement.

The Losers movie is based on the Vertigo comic. Which was excellent, so hopefully the movie will be too.