'Bama connection to Duke football

Duke's football connection to Alabama is often overlooked. Following is a summary:

Wallace Wade coached at Alabama 1923 - 1931. He came to Duke in 1931.

Bear Bryant played at Alabama 1932 - 1936 and was the head coach 1958- 1982.

David Cutcliffe graduated from Alabama in 1976 and served as a student assistant under Bear Bryant.

Don't know what sort of connection there might have been between Wallace Wade and Bear Bryant since Wade left Alabama a year before Bryant began to play, but there likely was some connection if only during the recruiting period before Bryant enrolled.

In the DBR story, DBR said, It’s really impressive that Duke has persuaded them (Alabama) to play in Durham. We’d love to know the story behind that.

I think I do know the story behind that. At some point the Alabama playsers, coaches,and staff looked around and said "Damn, we're in Alabama - let's get out of here."

I entered this thread thinking you were going to describe a connection between Obama and Duke football

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    In the DBR story, DBR said, It’s really impressive that Duke has persuaded them (Alabama) to play in Durham. We’d love to know the story behind that.

I think I do know the story behind that. At some point the Alabama playsers, coaches,and staff looked around and said "Damn, we're in Alabama - let's get out of here."
    As an alum and crazy devoted fan of both schools, I can appreciate the connection. But, c'mon, allen, was that crack really necessary??
    Roll Tide and Go Devils!

Roll Tide and Go Devils!
    Maybe the Duke fans can pick up my favorite AL cheer - "Roll, Tide, roll, round the bowl and down the hole".
    Last edited by -jk; 09-03-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Maybe the Duke fans can pick up my favorite AL cheer - "Roll, Tide, roll, round the bowl and down the hole".
    The 12-year-old Auburn fans I knew in junior high thought that was really clever too.

Quote Originally Posted by CMARTZ View Post
    I entered this thread thinking you were going to describe a connection between Obama and Duke football
    Reggie Love, there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post
    The 12-year-old Auburn fans I knew in junior high thought that was really clever too.
    But boy did it bother those 12-year-old Alabama fans I knew in junior high

Go Duke, and War Damn Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    But boy did it bother those 12-year-old Alabama fans I knew in junior high

Go Duke, and War Damn Eagle

Wouldn't a 12 year old be about three or four years underage for junior high in Alabama?

Another connection is assistant/associate head coach Ron Middleton, who also coaches the special teams and tight ends. He played at 'Bama and also was an assistant coach there.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Our holder (now an alum) from last year's father lettered at "Bama and when on to be one of the most successful high school coaches in Ga.

Another rumored connection ...

I heard this long ago but cannot substantiate it ...

After Steve Spurrier announced his decision to take the Gators job, AD Tom Butters sought the advice of Bear Bryant on who to hire. Steve Sloan was hired on Bryant's recommendation. Bryant died not too long after. I have always thought of that advice as Bear Bryant's last great practical joke. ...
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    I heard this long ago but cannot substantiate it ...

After Steve Spurrier announced his decision to take the Gators job, AD Tom Butters sought the advice of Bear Bryant on who to hire. Steve Sloan was hired on Bryant's recommendation. Bryant died not too long after. I have always thought of that advice as Bear Bryant's last great practical joke. ...
    Don't know whether Coach Bryant recommended Sloan but it wasn't when Spurrier left, as Sloan preceded Spurrier.

Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post
    Don't know whether Coach Bryant recommended Sloan but it wasn't when Spurrier left, as Sloan preceded Spurrier.
    Yeah --- the Bear passed long before Spurrier left Duke (and I think even before he was at Duke).

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Yeah --- the Bear passed long before Spurrier left Duke (and I think even before he was at Duke).
    Jan. '83 :-(