Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, my example was kind of confusing... I was actually talking about who would fill the position next year and in 2011. I used Thompson and Booker as examples of a certain type of player, though I'm aware that they won't be around next year.
    This is 2009! What the heck are you talking about? Can we at least live in today when talking about last night's game? 2011 will be here soon enough. Some of you are wishing your life away. Can we stay in the now?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, my example was kind of confusing... I was actually talking about who would fill the position next year and in 2011. I used Thompson and Booker as examples of a certain type of player, though I'm aware that they won't be around next year.
    It looks like the Plumlee bros., hopefully Marshall included, will handle the 4 & 5 positions. Looking at 2011 recruits, there aren't a ton a beasts available. The kids will be fine though - especially surrounded by the talent Duke has and will get...unless that Raphael kid from Miami (reportedly 6-9, 360) presents a problem. It will then be up to the crazies to taunt him with pizza I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    This is 2009! What the heck are you talking about? Can we at least live in today when talking about last night's game?
    This is not the thread for talking about last night's game. It's the thread for talking about 2011 recruiting, which frankly is more important than continuing to discuss the vagaries of a workmanlike effort against an overmatched opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    This is not the thread for talking about last night's game. It's the thread for talking about 2011 recruiting, which frankly is more important than continuing to discuss the vagaries of a workmanlike effort against an overmatched opponent.
    My error, I apologize. My sentiments still stand.

So Brad Beal is supposedly making a decision soon, and we're not on the list? (atleast not on scouts)

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    So Brad Beal is supposedly making a decision soon, and we're not on the list? (atleast not on scouts)
    If Brad Beal is really making a decision soon, Duke certainly won't be his destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    If Brad Beal is really making a decision soon, Duke certainly won't be his destination.
    Why is that?

Why is that?
    Duke is waiting on Austin Rivers' decision. It is thought amongst recruiting circles that Beal and Rivers will not play together at Duke because of the surplus of guards that Duke will have starting next season.

It is highly unlikely that Beal would commit to Duke until Rivers makes a decision. In other words, Beal will most likely only come to Duke if Rivers stays at Florida. Duke has been recruiting Beal, but as of yet it hasn't been a "fullcourt press" recruitment, so to speak, as it was with our other primary targets such as Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving. To my knowledge, Beal has not made an unofficial visit aside from trips where his AAU team played in Cameron, and he certainly hasn't made an official visit. While some players such as Andre Dawkins have made commitments without an official visit, it would be extremely unlikely that a player such as Beal - with a higher-priority target who is also guard in Rivers yet to make a decision - would commit given the circumstances.

While some players such as Andre Dawkins have made commitments without an official visit, it would be extremely unlikely that a player such as Beal - with a higher-priority target who is also guard in Rivers yet to make a decision - would commit given the circumstances.
    He's only a junior. Has he made official visits to his other finalists?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    He's only a junior. Has he made official visits to his other finalists?
    He can't. You can only take official visits in your Senior Year.

To my knowledge, Beal has not made an unofficial visit aside from trips where his AAU team played in Cameron, and he certainly hasn't made an official visit. While some players such as Andre Dawkins have made commitments without an official visit, it would be extremely unlikely that a player such as Beal - with a higher-priority target who is also guard in Rivers yet to make a decision - would commit given the circumstances.
    Since anyone who commits as a junior would have to do so without an official visit, I'm not sure I agree with your logic. Beal has been on Duke's campus and my guess is the coaching staff has told him there's room for both him and Rivers to get plenty of playing time. If he commits to Florida (which appears to be the buzz) there's a good chance he and Rivers will play together. From what I've read in the past he considers that a plus. I'm not saying he'll commit to Duke, but if he doesn't, I don't think the fact that he hasn't had an official visit would be the reason.

As far as there being enough room for both Beal and Rivers, if we play a three guard offense there should be plenty of minutes for all.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    He can't. You can only take official visits in your Senior Year.
    That's what I thought.

So I guess we're out? Looks like it's between Kansas and Florida: http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/30/l...nounce-monday/

I guess we'll see later today.

So I guess we're out? Looks like it's between Kansas and Florida: http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/30/l...nounce-monday/

I guess we'll see later today.
    This ship sailed a while ago. I'll say Florida, but that's just me.

The announcement was supposed to come at 11:00 EST...
    Last edited by airowe; 11-30-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Edited to make myself look right!

This ship sailed a while ago. I'll say Florida, but that's just me.

The announcement was supposed to come at 11:00 EST...
    he picked florida. is that good or bad as far as rivers goes?
    Last edited by rotogod00; 11-30-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    he picked florida. is that good or bad as far as rivers goes?
    It seems like Beal and Rivers are both combo guards and that would appear good for us. What are the odds that Kenny Boynton sticks around UF for 3-4 years?

I dont know how having a somewhat crowded backcourt in 2012 would affect Rivers' decision - we'll have Dawkins, Irving and Curry, as well as Thornton. But Duke has often played 3 guards and could really run a lot with this squad.

Anyone got anything more concrete than this speculation?

Hold On

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    It seems like Beal and Rivers are both combo guards and that would appear good for us. What are the odds that Kenny Boynton sticks around UF for 3-4 years?

I dont know how having a somewhat crowded backcourt in 2012 would affect Rivers' decision - we'll have Dawkins, Irving and Curry, as well as Thornton. But Duke has often played 3 guards and could really run a lot with this squad.

Not sure that you can automatically pencil all those guys in for 2012. You just never know.
    Last edited by slower; 11-30-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: more cowbell

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

I don't think it impacts it too much at all, honestly. I think more than anything it says that Donovan is not confident he's keeping Rivers.

Beal must like the Nerf Gun

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Not sure that you can automatically pencil all those guys in for 2012. You just never know.
    especially irving (unfortunately). he has the talent to be a 1-and-done

I don't think it impacts it too much at all, honestly. I think more than anything it says that Donovan is not confident he's keeping Rivers.

Beal must like the Nerf Gun
    yeah, was thinking the same thing. or maybe even that the rivers ship has already sailed (but maybe not officially)

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    yeah, was thinking the same thing. or maybe even that the rivers ship has already sailed (but maybe not officially)
    Good point about Donovan's confidence as far as Rivers goes.

What about Kenny Boynton? Is he on the NBA radar map at all?