Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Recruiting

Cook solidifies the PG position when Kyrie decides to leave. AR would be great but i gotta bad feeling about it. I feel like if he was going to Duke he wouldve already commited.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Cook solidifies the PG position when Kyrie decides to leave. AR would be great but i gotta bad feeling about it. I feel like if he was going to Duke he wouldve already commited.
    Or perhaps jumping into the decision before he was ready the first time is leaving him more cautious the second go 'round.

-jk

Or perhaps he wants to make this look like he really opened things up so people in Florida don't hate him.

Of course, he could just not know what he wants to do yet. He's only 17, right?

Or DukeBallBoy is just unjustifiably pessimistic...yeah I'll go with that.

Josiah Turner reportedly has added Duke to his watch list:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/p...-open-to-duke/

call it what you want to call it, but in my opinion, Duke will be a great team with or without him. like i said id much rather have him in a Blue Devil uni but even if he dont come, Duke will still be the team to beat in the ACC so it will not crush me as Barnes decision didint bother me as bad as it did yall.
    As long as we have K, we have a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    call it what you want to call it, but in my opinion, Duke will be a great team with or without him. like i said id much rather have him in a Blue Devil uni but even if he dont come, Duke will still be the team to beat in the ACC so it will not crush me as Barnes decision didint bother me as bad as it did yall.
    As long as we have K, we have a chance!
    Nobody argues that we will be a great team with or without him, we were arguing with your pessimistic post, and there really isn't a reason to feel that way about Rivers' recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Nobody argues that we will be a great team with or without him, we were arguing with your pessimistic post, and there really isn't a reason to feel that way about Rivers' recruitment.

Completely agree with this here.

All indications is that there is extreme mutual intrest between Duke and Rivers, and we are the front runners up to this point.

Like JK said, Austin is most likely looking around and looking at everything closely to make the correct decision for him. So I wouldn't have a bad feeling just because he hasn't commited yet. Could you be right in the long run, sure, but as right now, I wouldn't feel that way.

As far as Cook goes, him and Austin really have nothing to do with one another. Cook and Turner are two guards there recruiting for insurance if Kyrie bolts for the NBA, which I think all depends on the NBA CBA situation if he does not. If he doesn't go to the NBA, I still think we could nab either Cook or turner to come in as a primary backup in 2011 and be the full time starter in 2012. Austin is a SG and with Nolan leaving there is a spot there in 2011 at the 2 for him.

Change in recruiting?

My understanding is that Duke has typically had approximately 10 scholarship players in recent years and a few walk-ons to complete the roster. For 2010-11, there are 10 scholarship players on the roster. Kyle and Nolan are seniors, so will not be returning next year. We currently have three commits (Gbinije, Adams, Plumlee) for 2011-12 and seem to be actively pursuing Rivers and a point guard. Is the staff expecting Kyrie and another player (Mason?) to be leaving early, and/or are they looking at using more of their scholarship allotment?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    My understanding is that Duke has typically had approximately 10 scholarship players in recent years and a few walk-ons to complete the roster. For 2010-11, there are 10 scholarship players on the roster. Kyle and Nolan are seniors, so will not be returning next year. We currently have three commits (Gbinije, Adams, Plumlee) for 2011-12 and seem to be actively pursuing Rivers and a point guard. Is the staff expecting Kyrie and another player (Mason?) to be leaving early, and/or are they looking at using more of their scholarship allotment?
    In this day and age, if you plan to fill exactly 13 slots, you are most likely only going to fill 10-11 of them. There is a very good chance that at least one of Mason and Kyrie will be gone after this season in addition to the graduating seniors. It looks like Duke will most likely still be under 13 scholarship players even if we are above the 10 that we often have.

There's always a chance, however, that more Duke players leave. With Steph Curry's success in the NBA, scouts will be watching Seth closely. If he puts up big numbers relative to his new role and shows he can run the offense from time to time, there is always a chance he could jump. He will be the same age as his older brother was when he entered the NBA by the end of the season. Miles has the physical tools to be an NBA player and big guys more than any other type of player have the potential to rise quickly on draft boards if he shows that he can combine his athleticism with a refined skill set.

It's very unlikely that we'll have five guys taken in the first round next year (but at least we'd match Kentucky with our own "greatest day in Duke basketball history"). It's still a possibility. The fact is, Duke is recruiting from a position of strength. We might end up with 12-13 scholarship players, which would be higher than we usually have but also give us more depth. We also might end up with 10-11, which would make us a younger team, but also give all the newcomers the playing time they want. Either way, we'll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    Completely agree with this here.

All indications is that there is extreme mutual intrest between Duke and Rivers, and we are the front runners up to this point.

Like JK said, Austin is most likely looking around and looking at everything closely to make the correct decision for him. So I wouldn't have a bad feeling just because he hasn't commited yet. Could you be right in the long run, sure, but as right now, I wouldn't feel that way.

As far as Cook goes, him and Austin really have nothing to do with one another. Cook and Turner are two guards there recruiting for insurance if Kyrie bolts for the NBA, which I think all depends on the NBA CBA situation if he does not. If he doesn't go to the NBA, I still think we could nab either Cook or turner to come in as a primary backup in 2011 and be the full time starter in 2012. Austin is a SG and with Nolan leaving there is a spot there in 2011 at the 2 for him.
    Agree with the general sentiment -- AR is still looking good for the boys in Royal Blue, even if he's wreaking havoc with all of our nerves! Look, all you need to ask is, what program wouldn't gladly trade places with us vis-a-vis the recruiting position with AR??? Answer: none.

I think that we have two scholarship OFFERS currently extended - Austin Rivers and Quincy Miller. Obviously we have at least 2 more slots available in a year. I think that it is entirely reasonsable to to predict 1-2 other departures besides graduating KS and NS. Assuming that AR comes our way, most recruitniks seem to be predicting that we get no more than 3 combined years out of the two of KI & AR. Curry and MP2 are also Spring 2011 early departure threats too.

So, I'd be really surprised if we weren't recruiting some addition top-flight recruits like Cook. Don't forget, we actually wound up one recruit OVER the limit earlier this decade, and one player graciously agreed to pay his own way for his Frosh year. Where there's a will, there's a way... Clearly the staff is way ahead on all of this.

" Don't forget, we actually wound up one recruit OVER the limit earlier this decade, and one player graciously agreed to pay his own way for his Frosh year"

Well, actually his father agreed to pay Lee's way.

Duke wasn't over the 13-player limit. Lee Melchionni was part of a six-player class during a period when the NCAA had a 5/8 rule, limiting schools to a maximum of five recruits in any one season and a maximum of eight over two consecutive years. The rule was a bad one and didn't last long.

Lee was the fifth player to commit in that class after Redick, Thompson, Williams and Dockery. Duke was still recruiting Shavlik Randolph. It was understood that Melchionni would take Duke's fifth and final scholarship that season unless Randolph committed. In that case, Mel's family would pay his tuition for one season and then he would go on scholarship. That's what happened.

UNC did the same thing with David Noel in the same class.

So, Melchionni isn't relevant to any current situation. I expect Duke to sign up to 13 but Duke will not go over and will not ask anyone to revert from scholarship to non-scholarship status.

$$$

with Mel's father paying his way the first year, exactly how much are we talking about? The reason i ask is, thats a lot of money, even though your father is well off and you love Duke. To me that's showing a lot of love for your dad's old school. i'd really be interested to know what it actually was?

2011 Class Superlatives

Here are some superlatives from the class of 2011.

Jeff Goodman's explanation:

I’m headed out to Las Vegas early in the morning, but wanted to put this up now:

Over the past week, Matt Norlander and I have polled nearly 30 of the top recruits across the country. We wanted to get an idea of who the players thought had the best to offer in a number of categories; scouts can often see one thing, players another. So below we’ve got 10 factions we asked the guys to opine on, and in most instances we listed the top three vote-getters. The exception: the most underrated. We figured if someone got a mention from a fellow 2011 recruit, they deserved the space on the blog.
    http://community.foxsports.com/goodm..._class_of_2011

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    with Mel's father paying his way the first year, exactly how much are we talking about? The reason i ask is, thats a lot of money, even though your father is well off and you love Duke. To me that's showing a lot of love for your dad's old school. i'd really be interested to know what it actually was?
    Well, whatever the cost of the 2002-03 school year was at Duke...$35,000 to $40,000 approx.?

Lee's older sister went to Duke also, so the family had first-hand experience with the cost.

Talking Daddy Lawbucks?

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    Roywhite had the answer above to your $$$ question. WRT ability to pay, Lee's dad, Gary Melchionni, is an apparently successful attorney specializing in labor law. He is a former president of the Duke Alumni Association IIRC and, as a result, a member of the Duke Board of Trustees. So, lets see: Dad paid for one year, and son got a four-year Duke degree. Many of us Duke Dads would have taken that deal.

sagegrouse

I think most Duke Dads think that way and see the value of a Duke education, not just the price ticket. If not send him/her about 8 miles down the road and buy yourself a very expensive car.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Here are some superlatives from the class of 2011.

Jeff Goodman's explanation:

http://community.foxsports.com/goodm..._class_of_2011
    HARDEST WORKER
    Michael Gilchrist – 8
    Marshall Plumlee – 3

Wayne Blackshear – 3

This is very nice to see from this article

There's a recruit named Myles Davis. The spelling is off, but that's still pretty awesome!

And Quincy Miller got biggest trash talker...

Nate James will watch Quinn Cook for the 3rd consecutive week as he plays at the Adidas Super 64 in Vegas:

http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/07...-his-list.html