Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by baby-face dawkins View Post
    Brandon Knight, Ray Mccalum, Trey Zeigler
    Zeigler is going to play for his father at Central Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    I think Ketucky fans will have a very very good day.. They are in on Knight and Gilchrist and both have been rumored to have very high intrest in Ketucky... I really don't think there is much competition from anyone for him... Knight has been rumored to be going there for months, and has come out and raved about the Ketucky Program.. I think the Wildcats own tomorrow.
    Or Kansas

back to 2011 for a second, I hear we are going hard after amir williams now, in addition to tyler adams. Here's my question: Why aren't we going harder after marshall plumlee???? He's a better player than both of those other guys in my opinion, and we already have a HUGE recruiting advantage over any other school for his services. He's a legitimate 7 footer . . . and has the athleticism of a plumlee, how can we not be trying to secure his commitment asap?

It may be because he has said without actually saying that he is going to attend another university. Who knows? I'll never question K.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    back to 2011 for a second, I hear we are going hard after amir williams now, in addition to tyler adams. Here's my question: Why aren't we going harder after marshall plumlee???? He's a better player than both of those other guys in my opinion, and we already have a HUGE recruiting advantage over any other school for his services. He's a legitimate 7 footer . . . and has the athleticism of a plumlee, how can we not be trying to secure his commitment asap?
    I'm not an insider, and I'm not sure even an insider would give you a complete answer on that question.

I'll trust Coach K and his staff to handle this in a professional, sensitive way since they:
    Want to get a good big player for 2011
    Care very much about Miles, Mason, and the Plumlee family.

Maybe someone in the program has talked to Marshall or to someone in Marshall's family, and the staff is operating with the enlightenment of inside information.

MY OPINION is that this is another type of discussion that could lead to attacks on potential recruits (ie "recruit A can't score in the post like recruit B," which leads to a reply of "B is far more athletic than A"). Too much that can lead to bad publicity. Find someone interested in the debate and PM him/her.

well, I did say that was only my opinion, and I'm fine with anybody's else's take on it. However, I would like to point out that scout.com and rivals.com both have him ranked higher than williams and adams, and the reason I'm bringing this up is because I think the recruitment of other big men is what is turning him off towards duke.

"and the reason I'm bringing this up is because I think the recruitment of other big men is what is turning him off towards duke."

I believe you're confusing cause and effect in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "and the reason I'm bringing this up is because I think the recruitment of other big men is what is turning him off towards duke."

I believe you're confusing cause and effect in this case.
    no, actually, this is directly from Blue Devil Insider:

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.co...iller-plumlee/

also, he's not really an offensive type of player in the vein of mason, but he is a rebounding machine and blocks a ridiculous number of shots. He could be a zoubek type role player in college with a focus on rebounding and defense.

I guess I am kind of second guessing the Duke coaching staff here, but it's not like they haven't made mistakes before. However, I do trust their judgment, I just hope it all works out for the best.
    Last edited by licc85; 04-15-2010 at 06:38 PM.

no, actually, this is directly from Blue Devil Insider:

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.co...iller-plumlee/

also, he's not really an offensive type of player in the vein of mason, but he is a rebounding machine and blocks a ridiculous number of shots. He could be a zoubek type role player in college with a focus on rebounding and defense.

I guess I am kind of second guessing the Duke coaching staff here, but it's not like they haven't made mistakes before. However, I do trust their judgment, I just hope it all works out for the best.
    The article doesn't say whether the relationship with Marshall has cooled because we're recruiting Adams or whether were recruiting Adams because the relationship with Marshall cooled. Besides, who you gonna' believe, BDI or Jim?

The relationship between Duke and Plumlee seems to have cooled a bit in recent months. There has been less contact between the two sides and the Plumlee family is aware that Tyler Adams is a major target for Duke in 2011.

I really hope we can land Amir Williams and Tyler Adams, two guys who's bodytypes fit the mold of former great Duke big men. While I love the Plumlee's I'd rather get Williams, Adams, and O'Bryant (2 of the 3), over Marshall because to be quiet honest 7'0 195 sounds to soft too me. Rivers, Adams, Gbinje, and either Williams or O'Bryant would be an absolutely amazing recruiting class.

id love to have a big guy who can POST UP. havent had one sicnce the landlord... is adams really the man? from his videos amir did not impress me. i havent found any videos on adams...does anyone have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    id love to have a big guy who can POST UP. havent had one sicnce the landlord... is adams really the man? from his videos amir did not impress me. i havent found any videos on adams...does anyone have a link?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfU02xKLl4s

i mean . . wow, I hope he's improved alot from the game in this video, he just wasn't that impressive to me. He had a few blocks, but everyone in this game was like a foot shorter than him. I love the fact that he got a slow motion replay on a dunk over a 5'10 guy. I'd also like to see him get more fired up on big plays, he seem to just go through the motions. He's ranked pretty highly on scout, inc., and the Duke staff has to see something they like, so I dunno, maybe that was an old game and he's gotten alot better since then.
    Last edited by licc85; 04-15-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Smile rankings - smankings

perhaps Marshall Plumlee has let it be known that he would prefer to play at some other university. Perhaps Adams & Williams are both better than Marshall. Perhaps K has seen all of these players and in his wisdom, has moved on from Marshall. Or perhaps he's leaving Marshall alone, letting him think about what he really wants in regards to college And the final perhaps, perhaps none of the above mentioned players ever arrive on campus, to suit up for the Blue Devils?

Are some of us forgetting that "family" is the core of Duke Basketball? I would bet that if Marshall would like to come to Duke, there would be a place for him. All the rest, I think, is just speculation.

ricks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfU02xKLl4s

i mean . . wow, I hope he's improved alot from the game in this video, he just wasn't that impressive to me. He had a few blocks, but everyone in this game was like a foot shorter than him. I love the fact that he got a slow motion replay on a dunk over a 5'10 guy. I'd also like to see him get more fired up on big plays, he seem to just go through the motions. He's ranked pretty highly on scout, inc., and the Duke staff has to see something they like, so I dunno, maybe that was an old game and he's gotten alot better since then.
    Luckily for us, the Duke coaching staff does not make recruiting decisions based on one YouTube video.

I think there are three issues here:
    1. we don't know whether or not Marshall Plumlee is a better option than Adams or Williams. We can only speculate at this point.
    2. we don't know whether or not Marshall Plumlee is a better fit for what the team wants to do moving forward, even if he is a more talented player.
    3. we don't know that we have a huge recruiting advantage for Marshall. Maybe he prefers to blaze his own trail. If that's the case, then I'd say we actually have a huge DISadvantage in recruiting him.

I'm sure that the staff has had plenty of information on Marshall, and they are in a good position to have a feel for their chances with him. The lack of heavy recruitment by Duke at the moment may be evidence of (a) him not being interested in Duke, (b) Duke thinking others fit better, or (c) Duke just giving him space to figure out what he wants to do on his own before putting on the heavy recruiting pitch.

But I can't imagine that Duke is merely "dropping the ball" on this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think there are three issues here:
    1. we don't know whether or not Marshall Plumlee is a better option than Adams or Williams. We can only speculate at this point.
    2. we don't know whether or not Marshall Plumlee is a better fit for what the team wants to do moving forward, even if he is a more talented player.
    3. we don't know that we have a huge recruiting advantage for Marshall. Maybe he prefers to blaze his own trail. If that's the case, then I'd say we actually have a huge DISadvantage in recruiting him.

I'm sure that the staff has had plenty of information on Marshall, and they are in a good position to have a feel for their chances with him. The lack of heavy recruitment by Duke at the moment may be evidence of (a) him not being interested in Duke, (b) Duke thinking others fit better, or (c) Duke just giving him space to figure out what he wants to do on his own before putting on the heavy recruiting pitch.

But I can't imagine that Duke is merely "dropping the ball" on this kid.
    The original premise (that we are going hard after Amir Williams) is not correct. He is being evaluated. We might end up making him an offer. Or not. Too soon to say.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The original premise (that we are going hard after Amir Williams) is not correct. He is being evaluated. We might end up making him an offer. Or not. Too soon to say.
    Yeah, I'm not making any assumptions about whom we're recruiting hard or not. I'm just saying that there are plenty of reasons why we may or may not be recruiting Marshall Plumlee very hard at the moment other than merely dropping the ball on him.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    are we also evaluating Johnny O'Bryant as well? he did say he had an offer from us, but many ppl were saying that this was not true.

any idea of where or where we do not, stand with O'Bryant?