Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Does anyone know where we stand with Quincy Miller? The kid can flat out play and on ESPN's recruiting we are still listed on his list of schools.
    Most say it's between Duke and UK

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    I wouldn't say that Rivers is a certain at all. I think he is a very good bet to come to Duke, but things can change on a dime i.e Harrison Barnes.. He has shown some signs and said some very nice thing about the Duke program and about coach K, but there is a reason why he is allowing UNC and other schools to recruit him.. Are we the frontrunners for him? sure.. But I don't think he is a lock by any means..

There are also a pool of players where we are looking at right now which includes:

Quinn Cook
    Quincy Miller
    Marshall Plumlee
    Johnny O'Bryant
    Tony Kimbro
    Don't forget, we offered dai-jon parker a football scholarship, but he's also a 5 star basketball prospect who could walk on the basketball team.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    Don't forget, we offered dai-jon parker a football scholarship, but he's also a 5 star basketball prospect who could walk on the basketball team.
    How does that work? If he decided to play basketball afterwards, does that mean he will need to pay full tuition on his own?

Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    How does that work? If he decided to play basketball afterwards, does that mean he will need to pay full tuition on his own?
    His scholarship would have to come frok football because of some arcane NCAA rules from what I understand. A consistently contributing walk-on sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    no, he would play 2 sports at once, and his scholarship would be for football (so we wouldnt have to waste a precious basketball scholly) Reggie Love did this. Juilus Peppers did it at UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    no, he would play 2 sports at once, and his scholarship would be for football (so we wouldnt have to waste a precious basketball scholly) Reggie Love did this. Juilus Peppers did it at UNC.
    You aren't allowed to "waste" a basketball scholly on a football player.

The hierarchy of scholarships forces any scholarship football player to take the football scholarship, regardless of other sports played. Any scholarship basketball player must take the basketball scholarship so long as he doesn't play football. Beyond that, I don't think the NCAA cares. It helps keep schools from padding football and basketball at the expense of other sports.

Trajan Langdon was a walk-on (the Padres paid his tuition), and "walk-on" Jay Heaps (the All American soccer player who was not afraid to hip-check anyone, anywhere) had a basketball scholarship and "walked on" in soccer.

-jk

Let's first hope he comes to duke

No, Trajan Langdon was never a "walk-on" at Duke. During the portions of his career when his tuition was paid for by the San Diego Padres, Langdon was a recruited, non-scholarship player. Some walk-ons, e.g. Jordan Davidson earn scholarships but that does not negate their walk-on status. Davidson was properly referred to as a non-recruited, scholarship player.

The term "walk-on" refers to recruited status not scholarship status.

And, yes, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Back to the original point, there was a time when football coaches, especially those in the SEC, would abuse the system by giving football players basketball scholarships, or golf scholarships, or swimming scholarships, or whatever happened to be lying around. Most football coaches during that era either were ADs or had the ADs wrapped around their whistles. Hence the current rule.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    No, Trajan Langdon was never a "walk-on" at Duke. During the portions of his career when his tuition was paid for by the San Diego Padres, Langdon was a recruited, non-scholarship player. Some walk-ons, e.g. Jordan Davidson earn scholarships but that does not negate their walk-on status. Davidson was properly referred to as a non-recruited, scholarship player.

The term "walk-on" refers to recruited status not scholarship status.

And, yes, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Back to the original point, there was a time when football coaches, especially those in the SEC, would abuse the system by giving football players basketball scholarships, or golf scholarships, or swimming scholarships, or whatever happened to be lying around. Most football coaches during that era either were ADs or had the ADs wrapped around their whistles. Hence the current rule.

Lee Melchioni was in a similar situation his freshman year as I recall. I was merely trying to paint an absurd parallel.

And fleetingly reference a beautiful hip check into press row.

-jk

... The term "walk-on" refers to recruited status not scholarship status.

And, yes, this is a pet peeve of mine. ...
    What is the difference betwee an "invited" walk-on that receives a scholarship and a recruited athlete? Why is the difference significant?

Technically, the term "invited walk-on" is an oxymoron. The term "preferred walk-on" signifies an intermediate step between a true walk-on and a recruited player. A preferred walk-on generally is promised an opportunity to try out but is not guaranteed a spot. There can be some wink-wink-nudge-nudge going on here.

An "invited" walk-on or "preferred" walk-on means that the coach has had contact with you and offered you a chance, but it does not guarantee a spot on the team. I was an "invited" walk-on at Arizona for golf technically because the coach saw me in a few tournaments and matches when recruiting one of my teammates. I was not able to get a spot after all , so there is absolutely no sure thing even though I did go on a visit and was showed the same treatment as the rest of the returning players as far as pre-season workouts, schedules, academic requirements, and gear.

Wasn't this basically the Bear Bryant rule because the basketball team at Alabama was just a holding tank for football players?

Top ranked Junior Michael Gilchrist is going to commit on tomorrow.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...g%2fonthetrail

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    Top ranked Junior Michael Gilchrist is going to commit on tomorrow.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...g%2fonthetrail
    After watching a few St. Patrick games this year, I wasn't blown away by Gilchrist. He certainly wasn't the best player on his team . I'm skeptical that he's actually the best player in the class of 2011, but he is a very good prospect.

KY maybe for Gilchrist?

Anyone know who else will be announcing there commitment tomorrow?

Brandon Knight, Ray Mccalum, Trey Zeigler

Quote Originally Posted by baby-face dawkins View Post
    Brandon Knight, Ray Mccalum, Trey Zeigler
    I think Ketucky fans will have a very very good day.. They are in on Knight and Gilchrist and both have been rumored to have very high intrest in Ketucky... I really don't think there is much competition from anyone for him... Knight has been rumored to be going there for months, and has come out and raved about the Ketucky Program.. I think the Wildcats own tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    I think the Wildcats own tomorrow.
    Then I guess there's nothing to do but congratulate them on another Offseason Championship.

Back-to-back!

Too bad their one-year rentals won't get to play together. Gilchrist is '11 obviously. There's more to successful recruiting than just signing the top recruits. You have to keep some of them and build around them at some point.