Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Recruiting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2011 Recruiting

Figured there was no better time than now to start this thread seeing as we've made offers to two guys in this class and entertained many of them at the Elite Camp.

To kick it off, we've got Scout.com's Top 75 for the class.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/894432.html

3 of our targets cracked the Top 10 and we are in good shape with at least one, possibly 3, depending on who's talking.

No. 4 Austin Rivers flipped positions in our database from point to shooting guard. While we’re still thinking he earns money at either spot, he was devastating in the role of scorer this summer. Like Gilchrist, he’s super competitive.

No. 7 Quincy Miller, PF/SF: The best player at the Nike Hoop Jamboree usually has a great career and Miller has put himself in super shape entering the second half of his high school stretch. Likely a small forward in the making, he’s got the package of athleticism, offensive ability and size. He’s only going to get better.

No. 10 Brad Beal, SG: The captain of the gold medal team, Beal is a model of efficiency. Economical with his shots, he sports a strong body, mean streak and if he needs to go for a big number, he’s capable. Then again, he’s not a guy who needs to be in the spotlight and operates within a team concept while shining brightly.

Good thread out ofhis class I wan't Miller the most this kid is going to be a stud, I would almost bet money on MP3 being a devil when it is all said and done. And my suprise will be Rivers I think he will decommit soon from FL, and will be a devil. IMO

MP3

I went back and checked the Top 75. Good to see Marshall in there at the 24 spot. It seems like his game has a lot of room to grow.

He does have a lot of room to grow he is 6"11 and is working on his post moves I'm glad to here that he want's to be a true post player. My brothers saw him play when he was a sophmore and they were not imprest at the time, but he has two more years of highschool left and I herd he had a good summer. I would love are 2011 class to be MP3, Miller, and either Rivers or Beal.

McAdoo to UNC

Scout.com is reporting that James McAdoo, ranked #2 on Scout's 2011 list, has made a verbal commitment to UNC.

James McAdoo is a fine player, no doubt...but #2?

I think Rivers and Quincy are better players. Quincy has the highest upside of the 3 and Rivers is the best player right now.

Great get for UNC, Duke was never heavily involved and for good reason.

Let's hope Duke gets a combo of Rivers, Quincy, and Plumlee. We'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Scout.com is reporting that James McAdoo, ranked #2 on Scout's 2011 list, has made a verbal commitment to UNC.
    I know that McAdoo was kind of a no brainer for UNC but it is getting pretty frustrating watching then sign top notch recruit after top notch recruit in their junior years while we are having to wait and wait for our top targets to make their decisions.

Barnes was talking about signing in November and now is saying he will wait until spring. There was some buzz about Miller possibly deciding early and now it is looking like he is going to wait as well. I know that this is all part of recruiting but man UNC seems to be making it look easy.

Great point...

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I know that McAdoo was kind of a no brainer for UNC but it is getting pretty frustrating watching then sign top notch recruit after top notch recruit in their junior years while we are having to wait and wait for our top targets to make their decisions.

Barnes was talking about signing in November and now is saying he will wait until spring. There was some buzz about Miller possibly deciding early and now it is looking like he is going to wait as well. I know that this is all part of recruiting but man UNC seems to be making it look easy.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Roy Will has got to be the best recruiter not only in the ACC, but probably in the country (better than Cal or Self, IMO). By getting these juniors, he can easily focus on other prized players (like Barnes) and I'm sure he won't be too upset if he misses on that one (unlike the Duke community will be if we miss). It's an absolutely ingenius strategy. The only downside is if a player digresses in his junior and senior seasons, which is quite unlikely.

Even though a lot of people on this board don't like it, I'm really happy that K is changing his strategy and going after them young. In the black or white or gray area, K going after Tokoto was a great move, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Roy Will has got to be the best recruiter not only in the ACC, but probably in the country (better than Cal or Self, IMO). By getting these juniors, he can easily focus on other prized players (like Barnes) and I'm sure he won't be too upset if he misses on that one (unlike the Duke community will be if we miss). It's an absolutely ingenius strategy. The only downside is if a player digresses in his junior and senior seasons, which is quite unlikely.

Even though a lot of people on this board don't like it, I'm really happy that K is changing his strategy and going after them young. In the black or white or gray area, K going after Tokoto was a great move, IMO.
    That sounds like what happened with Dexter Strickland, Travis Wear, David Wear, and Leslie McDonald. Let's see how Carolina's 2009 and 2010 classes pan out before we declare them permanent champs of the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    That sounds like what happened with Dexter Strickland, Travis Wear, David Wear, and Leslie McDonald. Let's see how Carolina's 2009 and 2010 classes pan out before we declare them permanent champs of the ACC.
    Strickland had a great summer as is a great recruit. The Wear brothers were never that highly rated to begin with. And on Leslie McDonald - I certainly agree with you. And, for the record, I by no means said that UNC would be the "permanent champs of the ACC" - I merely think that Ole Roy's recruiting system is extremely effective (case in point - last 5 years). And wait-and-see game can burn you, as it has with Duke in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Strickland had a great summer as is a great recruit. The Wear brothers were never that highly rated to begin with. And on Leslie McDonald - I certainly agree with you. And, for the record, I by no means said that UNC would be the "permanent champs of the ACC" - I merely think that Ole Roy's recruiting system is extremely effective (case in point - last 5 years). And wait-and-see game can burn you, as it has with Duke in recent years.
    The Wear brothers were very highly rated, much higher than Mason and Ryan in fact. Both fell pretty far through the rankings. Strickland was also very highly rated before he fell quite a bit. That can happen quite easily when you sign players as sophomores and juniors.

But also, it seems pretty obvious that Duke has changed its recruiting strategy pretty significantly, starting with the 2010 and 2011, to target more players earlier, so as not to get caught with their pants down again like they did with Monroe and Boynton.

The Post

We all know about Duke's depth in the post this year, and how much of a good problem we all think that is. Next year though, and certainly by 2011, our post rotation will be much thinner and in need of a boost. Given that we aren't targeting any true big men for 2010 (and from what I hear/read there aren't that many great big men in 2010 beyond Josh Smith and CJ Leslie, who is more of a combo forward) I have to imagine we are looking at some bigs for 2011. Beyond MP3, who are we thinking about, whose on our radar, whose on our wish list? If we don't bring in JS for 2010, we'd have Kelly, MP1, MP2, and Hairston. That's a decent rotation depth wise with 2 versatile Centers and 2 versatile PFs, but I'd like to see us continue to add depth upfront as MP2 could be gone after the his soph season (ya never know) leaving MP1 as our only true Center.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    We all know about Duke's depth in the post this year, and how much of a good problem we all think that is. Next year though, and certainly by 2011, our post rotation will be much thinner and in need of a boost. Given that we aren't targeting any true big men for 2010 (and from what I hear/read there aren't that many great big men in 2010 beyond Josh Smith and CJ Leslie, who is more of a combo forward) I have to imagine we are looking at some bigs for 2011. Beyond MP3, who are we thinking about, whose on our radar, whose on our wish list? If we don't bring in JS for 2010, we'd have Kelly, MP1, MP2, and Hairston. That's a decent rotation depth wise with 2 versatile Centers and 2 versatile PFs, but I'd like to see us continue to add depth upfront as MP2 could be gone after the his soph season (ya never know) leaving MP1 as our only true Center.
    So far, I haven't heard of any other bigs in the 2011 class that we are looking at. We were recruiting McAdoo but obviously he's now off the board. I would guess that the staff will start evaluating a new target because of his signing with unc. Players we seem to be chasing right now are MP3, Miller, Beal and Rivers if he actually reopens his recruitment.

Most likely we will only have 3 scholarships for that class. We have already offered MP3 and Miller so they would seem to be out top priorities. At this point the last spot presumably would go to Beal or Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    So far, I haven't heard of any other bigs in the 2011 class that we are looking at. We were recruiting McAdoo but obviously he's now off the board. I would guess that the staff will start evaluating a new target because of his signing with unc. Players we seem to be chasing right now are MP3, Miller, Beal and Rivers if he actually reopens his recruitment.

Most likely we will only have 3 scholarships for that class. We have already offered MP3 and Miller so they would seem to be out top priorities. At this point the last spot presumably would go to Beal or Rivers.
    I get the gut feeling that Marshall Plumlee will choose to go somewhere other than Duke, perhaps UVA.

If his brothers progress well enough this year to both be viable centers, it would not surprise me that those 3 scholarships get filled by Miller, Rivers and Beal, as K patterns his team makeup after his Team USA squad with less centers and more outstanding perimeter guys, though none of his perimeter guys goes 260 like Lebron.

By 2011 Nolan and Kyle would have moved on. Assuming no one and done's, and of course assuming extreme recruiting success:

Irving/Rivers/Thornton
    Dawkins/Curry/Beal
    Banres/Olek (Dawkins/Kelly)
    Kelly/Miller/Hairston
    Plumlees (Mason and Miles)

We're not getting Rivers.

Olek

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    I get the gut feeling that Marshall Plumlee will choose to go somewhere other than Duke, perhaps UVA.

If his brothers progress well enough this year to both be viable centers, it would not surprise me that those 3 scholarships get filled by Miller, Rivers and Beal, as K patterns his team makeup after his Team USA squad with less centers and more outstanding perimeter guys, though none of his perimeter guys goes 260 like Lebron.

By 2011 Nolan and Kyle would have moved on. Assuming no one and done's, and of course assuming extreme recruiting success:

Irving/Rivers/Thornton
    Dawkins/Curry/Beal
    Banres/Olek (Dawkins/Kelly)
    Kelly/Miller/Hairston
    Plumlees (Mason and Miles)
    Does anyone see Coach K pulling a scholly from Olek to make more room for an even better class. Olek does not play any quality minutes with this squad. Maybe some garbage time.
    The Terrapin Assassin

no and he shouldn't olek earned a scholly in hs and should keep his until he graduates

Never, Never, Never, oh ya and Never

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Does anyone see Coach K pulling a scholly from Olek to make more room for an even better class. Olek does not play any quality minutes with this squad. Maybe some garbage time.
    This is not Kentucky. Coach K makes committments to his players and sticks by them. I would drop all belief I have in him and the system should this occur. Loyalty and committment are some of the core values of the system. Dropping a player for the next best thing will never be in our vocabulary. Hey Olek, here is some motivation to get yourself on the court!

I would be very surprised to see Duke sign Irving, Rivers, and Beal. Not with Curry, Dawkins, and Thornton already on board.

The most likely scenario for 2011 is one guard and two front-court players. If Duke were to come up empty on the guard sweepstakes in 2010, this could change.

And I'll climb Mt. Everest backwards before Mike Krzyzewski pulls a scholarship from Olek or anyone else for performance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    It did not make any sense for Calipari to do something so unethical, and coach K would never do that.

Once you get past he top 10 guys, primary players in 5 vs. 5, the other 3 do not have to be all planet.

Olek has some great athleticism that can simulate future opponents. He also has some raw skills that may eventually be put into game setting once his court sense improves in this his second year in Duke system.