Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think it would be very difficult for anyone on the team to be better than Singler. Though I'm in the camp that thinks Singler had a much better year last year than Henderson. Singler just does so many things well (like rebounding) that Smith would have to either outscore Singler by a decent amount and/or start contributing more in other ways (lots of assists?).

I also think Nolan has amazing potential though so he certainly could do it. If he does then look out. If Nolan steps up and Mason is as good as advertised then we're ready to make a very deep run.

Spurring some debate here within the hierarchy of the Big 3. I think Kyle as been considered the best maybe because of his NBA prospects. However, I would say in the end you can pin the 1a, 1b and 1c label on each at the college level. Depending on game situations, hot hand, etc. each will have their own time to shine and carry the team. It is a nice problem to have and one in which I can't see anyone of them feeling slighted when one reaps the rewards of being the man in one game, on a game to game basis. If ever one is deemed better than the other two, it will only be by the slightest degree.

Sorry I was unclear

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So you don't think he's already the third best player on the team?

It'll take a lot to end up better than Singler or Scheyer. But I could see Smith winding up as good and as productive (in different ways, obviously) as the other two.
    Oh I definitely think Nolan is the third best player on the team and think there is a big gap between third and fourth best. But, I just don't think that he will be as good as I expect Jon and Kyle to be this year. I hope they all have great years for a fantastic team.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

The best part about this Big 3 is that, even though they all play the perimeter, each brings a unique set of skills that makes the team so much better. In a nutshell:
    Smith: Penetration, fast break, stellar on-the-ball D
    Scheyer: Leadership, low turnovers for a PG, solid shooting
    Singler: Versatility, rebounding from the wing, solid shooting in every location minus New York City, good D.

This a unique set of skills with little overlap. It's why I love this backcourt (with a little more love for Nolan. Sorry. I am a little biased)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    Spurring some debate here within the hierarchy of the Big 3. I think Kyle as been considered the best maybe because of his NBA prospects.
    I don't really think that is true at all. Kyle is rightfully the only one who was getting all-american pub in the pre-season. Do you think that was because of his NBA prospects too? The way they have played so far this season I wouldn't say Kyle is better than Smith or Scheyer but I fully expect (and I think most of us do) to see Kyle play much better than we've seen. At the same time if Scheyer keeps playing as well as he has been (8:1? really?) then I will be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I don't really think that is true at all. Kyle is rightfully the only one who was getting all-american pub in the pre-season. Do you think that was because of his NBA prospects too? The way they have played so far this season I wouldn't say Kyle is better than Smith or Scheyer but I fully expect (and I think most of us do) to see Kyle play much better than we've seen. At the same time if Scheyer keeps playing as well as he has been (8:1? really?) then I will be amazed.
    Let me correct myself. I think Kyle was tabbed Duke's best player and All-American not only because of his NBA potential (i.e. NBA prospects based on scout's reviews) but because of having a better skill set and that of his production being better than either Jon or Nolan the past 2 years. He probably has the most upside of the three though I can see Nolan catching up in that regard. However, that said, it is not out of realm of possibility that Nolan may put up better numbers, specifically points, assists and steals. Even Jon may do so. It is quite possible. I personally think Kyle is the team's best player but I don't think the difference is that great. At the end of the year we may look at all the numbers of each and say based on that Nolan had the best season but that Kyle is the better player. Who knows? Sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole truth. The only truth I do know, is that each of these three guys are a tremendous asset to the team and that their importance on a individual level is nearly equal. I will give Kyle the slight edge when forced to choose one but keep an eye out for Nolan as the year goes on because as his confidence soars, so may his game. I still like to think of them as 1a, 1b and 1c as I think very highly of each.

My bad, Kyle is the man after this first half against the Badgers!

Nolan must have a "break-out" year, so he can go to NBA. There are reasons that coaches and reporters are fawning over Seth Curry. If conventional wisdom is that coach will hand over the PG spot to Irving, then know that Seth Curry is going to take one of those other starting positions in the backcourt--even if it forces us to run a 3 guard offense. Curry is not going to sit the bench next season!

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDuke View Post
    Nolan must have a "break-out" year, so he can go to NBA. There are reasons that coaches and reporters are fawning over Seth Curry. If conventional wisdom is that coach will hand over the PG spot to Irving, then know that Seth Curry is going to take one of those other starting positions in the backcourt--even if it forces us to run a 3 guard offense. Curry is not going to sit the bench next season!
    I don't know why you would think that Nolan would go to the bench and there's very little chance that Nolan is going pro this year. Next year our bench will be phenomenal no matter how things shake out.