View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films of the summer (in terms of ticket sales)?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • X-Men: Wolverine

39 54.93%
  • Star Trek

54 76.06%
  • Angels & Demons

29 40.85%
  • Terminator: Salvation

29 40.85%
  • Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian

11 15.49%
  • Up

22 30.99%
  • Land of the Lost

4 5.63%
  • The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

0 0%
  • Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

57 80.28%
  • Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

22 30.99%
  • Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

69 97.18%
  • Public Enemies

4 5.63%
  • Funny People

0 0%
  • Inglourious Basterds

0 0%
  • Other (list in your post)

2 2.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Top Movies of the Summer

With Wolverine just a week or so away, we need to get the "top box office hits of the summer" thread going post haste!!

So, I am posting a poll where we can vote on what we think the top 5 will be. Please limit your votes to only the films you think will be in the top 5 once the summer boxoffice comes to a close. We'll probably call it shortly after Labor Day.

Last year, there were several folks who got 4 out of 5 correct, but no one got em all.

If I did not include a movie you wish to vote for, just post something explaining your picks.

--Jason "as always, voters are encouraged to discuss their picks and disparage the picks of others " Evans

Ok, the list of movies is up. Did I leave anything out?

--Jason "I left out GI Joe, but it is an August release and Dennis Quaid is not a huge BO draw" Evans

I took Star Trek, Angels and Deamons, Transformers, Ice Age, and Harry Potter.

I saw the leaked X-Men Origins, and it was absolutely terrible. Forget that it wasn't finished, bad reviews are going to kill the release - otherwise I would've taken it over Ice Age.

Nice work as always, Jason, but is there any chance you could edit the poll choices to show the (currently scheduled) release dates? It may influence people's decisions.

For example, I considered Night at the Museum 2, but it opens opposite not only Terminator, but also Dance Flick, which will eat into its audience.

Brutal summer slate, by the way. It will be hard for any film to top the box office 2 weekends in a row until about mid-July.

Isn't the Bruno movie coming out mid July? I think people are going to flock to that one...
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Why haven't YOU voted yet, Jason?

I've got Star Trek, Up, Terminator, Harry Potter, and Transformers. People will be chomping at the bit for a good summer popcorn film, plus all the Trekkies will go so they can complain, so I"m not betting against ST. Pixar always does well. Terminator is a sure thing. Harry Potter. 'Nuff said. They could film me bouncing on a trampoline for two hours (they could put the scenes involving my massive coronary after the credits or as special content on the DVD) and make $100M with it if they said I was Harry Potter. And I've got a feeling that Transformers is gonna do pretty well. Meagan Fox is only the hottest thing going. She melts the plastic in my underwear.

We'll see. Last year, I only got three.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Isn't the Bruno movie coming out mid July? I think people are going to flock to that one...
    Bruno's first cut came out NC-17 which is a box office killer. I understand that the studio releasing it may have a policy against releasing NC-17 movies, but I don't think this one is going to get top 5. It's supposed to make Borat look like Howie Do It.

Quote Originally Posted by pacificrounder View Post
    I took Star Trek, Angels and Deamons, Transformers, Ice Age, and Harry Potter.

I saw the leaked X-Men Origins, and it was absolutely terrible. Forget that it wasn't finished, bad reviews are going to kill the release - otherwise I would've taken it over Ice Age.
    I saw the leaked Wolverine as well. It was very choppy, rushed and badly edited -- like it was unfinished or something. If those things are fixed, and depending on what some of the CGI looks like as a final product, I think it could be pretty good. What I saw was barely 2 stars, but could be cleaned up to be a decent 3 star flick. I kinda liked the story.

I'll have to think about top 5. I think Star Trek, Harry Potter and Transformers are givens. I imagine Up will get the Pixar bump even if it is not as marketable of a story (was Wall-E?), then the 5th. Up for grabs among Wolverine, Land of the Lost (if it is able to be funny as a PG movie), maybe Public Enemies, but Michael Mann films aren't blockbuster like that usually. I bet there is a sleeper/surprise we aren't thinking of. Possibly Terminator since it will end up PG-13. Gotta think on this.
    Last edited by A-Tex Devil; 04-22-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Wolverine, Museum, Transformers, Potter, and Terminator. I think I got all five last year, but this time I would be happy with four... not sure about Wolverine, to be frank

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I think Harry Potter and the Transformers are practically givens to be top 5. After that its tougher to call, but I went with Up and Ice Age for the kids watching them 17 times over the summer, and Angels & Demons since it will get its share of free marketing via any controversy that anyone believes its anything resembling the truth. I just don't see Trek having the mass appeal to break the top 5. It may revive the franchise, but it won't be a blockbuster. Wolverine might get in there, but early word of mouth worries me. But what do I know?

I thought about including Bruno, but Borat only made $128 million and I can't see any way that this "sequel" (of sorts) does much better than that. It has a very niche appeal and the buzz on Bruno isn't even in the same ballpark as the buzz on Borat.

Someone asked about release dates-- I think all the films are listed in order of their release date so the ones at the beginning are the May films and then the June ones. There are not as many big releases after July 4th so the list gets kinda sparse toward the bottom.

-Jason "I need to think a lot more on these before I vote" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I think I got all five last year, but this time I would be happy with four... not sure about Wolverine, to be frank
    Last summer you got 4 right. Folks who want to look back can see the final results and discussion in this thread. No one got all 5. A lot of us got 4 out of 5.

There were 5 people who got 4 out of 5 and their only miss was on Wall*E, which was the #5 movie of the summer. Those folks were:
    • brevity: 4 (missed WALL-E)
    • cato: 4 (missed WALL-E)
    • DevilBen02: 4 (missed WALL-E)
    • Lord Ash: 4 (missed WALL-E)
    • soccerdevil: 4 (missed WALL-E)

Last summer it took $233 million to be #5 on the list (the #6 movie made $215 million). With a little bit of ticket inflation, it could be a touch higher this summer, though I am not so sure of that. I think this will be a worse summer than last from a ticket sales standpoint.

--Jason "Up is no WALL*E, will this be Pixar's first 'miss'" Evans

Brutal

I think this summer is much, much weaker than last, with several big names that don't really do that much for me.

That said, there are 2 absolute locks for Top 5 - Harry Potter and Transformers. No way will anything stand in their way.

I also think that Star Trek will get up there, mainly because it's been a while and the buzz is really strong.

So for me, that leaves two other spots.

I think Up will get there - not just because it is Pixar...but because there are no other animated kid type movies, and really only one challenger, which is Night at the Museum. I think that movie is going to struggle. The first did well, but it did so with bad reviews, it just came out over the holiday break and carried the kid Thanksgiving and X-mas crowd. It won't be so fortunate this time.

So my top 4 are UP, Star Trek, Potter and Transformers.

That leaves one more - I think it will be between Wolverine and Terminator. Not sure who I will pick, but leaning towards..."Hey - get out of my set."

I will go to see Night at the Museum because my 10 year old will love it. Other than that there is nothing on the list that I really care to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    I think this summer is much, much weaker than last, with several big names that don't really do that much for me.

That said, there are 2 absolute locks for Top 5 - Harry Potter and Transformers. No way will anything stand in their way.

I also think that Star Trek will get up there, mainly because it's been a while and the buzz is really strong.

So for me, that leaves two other spots.

I think Up will get there - not just because it is Pixar...but because there are no other animated kid type movies, and really only one challenger, which is Night at the Museum. I think that movie is going to struggle. The first did well, but it did so with bad reviews, it just came out over the holiday break and carried the kid Thanksgiving and X-mas crowd. It won't be so fortunate this time.

So my top 4 are UP, Star Trek, Potter and Transformers.

That leaves one more - I think it will be between Wolverine and Terminator. Not sure who I will pick, but leaning towards..."Hey - get out of my set."
    You basically just totally agreed with me. Awesome. Maybe we'll be right. My final pick was Terminator over Wolverine. There have been several X-Men movies lately, so I think the demand will be a little bigger for a Terminator movie. Wolverine DOES have the advantage of being one of the first of the summer, when people are DESPERATE for a good popcorn movie. It'll be interesting to see which way people go, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    You are aware that Ice Age 3 comes out this summer too, right? Ice Age 2 did $198 million and the buzz is that this one is better than the last (which had a poor story with too much preaching in it for my taste).

Still, as opposed to last summer when Panda came out before WALL*E, the Pixar flick gets the head start this summer (Ice Age 3 coms out on July 1 while Up hits on May 29th). The summer is more front-loaded though and Night at the Museum 2 comes out May 22nd, one week before Up meaning Up will have more competition.

--Jason "I just cannot decide what to vote for this summer!" Evans

Which movies will have the most things blowing up? I vote for those.

Steven,

You voted for "other" in the poll. I guess this means that you think Bruno will be one of the top 5 of the summer, right?

-Jason "just trying to keep everything straight" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Which movies will have the most things blowing up? I vote for those.
    My best guess (in order of number of explosions shown on screen):

1. Terminator 4
    2. Transformers 2
    3. X-men 4
    4. Star Trek 11
    5. GI Joe: Rise of Cobra

They may blow up a planet in Star Trek and will certainly blow up some huuuge starships, so if you want to rank them by volume of stuff blown up, I'd put Star Trek #1.

--Jason "this is actually a pretty decent formula... at least as a starting point" Evans

sequels

I've noticed that about half of the movies in this poll are either sequels or continuations of a series. This makes it hard to predict - a lot of people will watch sequels no matter how bad they are just because they feel like they should.

No upsets in my picks except for Ice Age - the kids movies make a killing because the parents have to go with their kids, sometimes multiple times. BTW what's a good age to take your child to their first movie? My daughter is turning 3 in July.