Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville

    Smile Mason Plumlee... 2010 Draft?

    April 2010, just picture it... K is busy hanging his 4th banner in the rafters; Harrison, Kyrie and Roscoe are busy packing for summer school in Durham; Kyle has declared his intention to stay and repeat in 2011; and IC is rampant with fury and jealousy after a 7-9 ACC season and 2nd round NIT exit. Now picture DBR - will we have a "Mason Plumlee Draft Prospects" thread up at the top of the page??

    I look at a couple recent examples from down the road... Brendan Wright, Marvin Williams, Ed Davis (and now allegedly John Henson), who all were/are long, versatile, athletic 6'9"+ forwards who were either drafted or projected in the lottery after their freshman year. What's more, with the exception of Wright, none of them put up (or are expected to put up) numbers that are out of range of what many posters on this board are projecting for Mason.

    Now, Mason is probably the least polished, but I think he is the most intriguing physical prospect of the bunch. No matter how he performs this year, an agile 6'11 with a 7'2"+ wingspan (from the looks) and hefty vertical is a very unique talent. Given the NBA's propensity for drafting based on potential, I'm curious... do you expect we will at least be having this conversation next summer?

    (And yes, it's way to early for rational people to "worry" about this.... but what else are we going to speculate about that we haven't already worn out this summer?)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    April 2010, just picture it... K is busy hanging his 4th banner in the rafters; Harrison, Kyrie and Roscoe are busy packing for summer school in Durham; Kyle has declared his intention to stay and repeat in 2011; and IC is rampant with fury and jealousy after a 7-9 ACC season and 2nd round NIT exit. Now picture DBR - will we have a "Mason Plumlee Draft Prospects" thread up at the top of the page??

    I look at a couple recent examples from down the road... Brendan Wright, Marvin Williams, Ed Davis (and now allegedly John Henson), who all were/are long, versatile, athletic 6'9"+ forwards who were either drafted or projected in the lottery after their freshman year. What's more, with the exception of Wright, none of them put up (or are expected to put up) numbers that are out of range of what many posters on this board are projecting for Mason.

    Now, Mason is probably the least polished, but I think he is the most intriguing physical prospect of the bunch. No matter how he performs this year, an agile 6'11 with a 7'2"+ wingspan (from the looks) and hefty vertical is a very unique talent. Given the NBA's propensity for drafting based on potential, I'm curious... do you expect we will at least be having this conversation next summer?

    (And yes, it's way to early for rational people to "worry" about this.... but what else are we going to speculate about that we haven't already worn out this summer?)
    LOL! Go to sleep!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    I'll have what he's having...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    No, Mason will have to mature physically over several years to be a pro prospect. Also, it's not apparent how quickly he will catch up to the speed of the faster college game.

    So, no....

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    No, Mason will have to mature physically over several years to be a pro prospect. Also, it's not apparent how quickly he will catch up to the speed of the faster college game.

    So, no....
    He's 6'11" and 230 lbs. He likes to take guys off the dribble, he's not a back to the basket banger. How much more does he need to mature physically?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of sports teams that disappoint in the playoffs
    Folks... he is yet to play a single game at Duke. Lets at least wait until he is dominating before we start fretting about his pro prospects, ok?

    I would strongly urge anyone to think long and hard before they post anything additional in this thread. I struggle to come up with anything worthwhile that needs to be said on this subject at this time.

    Neither NBADraft.net nor DraftExpress have Mason in their 2010 mock drafts. Heck, NBADraft.net does not even have him in their 2011 mock. DraftExpress does not have a 2011 mock.

    -Jason "I should probably just lock this thread, but I hate locking threads" Evans
    Don't ask me why, but my mother is making me Tweet. Says it will be good for my career. So, follow my ramblings, mostly on the film industry, @TVFilmTalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    This is funny. The same Mason Plumlee that some posters doubt will be a significant contributor this season, maybe ever. Now we're worried about him going NBA after his freshman year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    This is funny. The same Mason Plumlee that some posters doubt will be a significant contributor this season, maybe ever. Now we're worried about him going NBA after his freshman year.
    Such is life in the summer. November still seems too far away.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    Only Greg Newton...

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    April 2010, just picture it... K is busy hanging his 4th banner in the rafters; Harrison, Kyrie and Roscoe are busy packing for summer school in Durham; Kyle has declared his intention to stay and repeat in 2011; and IC is rampant with fury and jealousy after a 7-9 ACC season and 2nd round NIT exit. Now picture DBR - will we have a "Mason Plumlee Draft Prospects" thread up at the top of the page??

    I look at a couple recent examples from down the road... Brendan Wright, Marvin Williams, Ed Davis (and now allegedly John Henson), who all were/are long, versatile, athletic 6'9"+ forwards who were either drafted or projected in the lottery after their freshman year. What's more, with the exception of Wright, none of them put up (or are expected to put up) numbers that are out of range of what many posters on this board are projecting for Mason.

    Now, Mason is probably the least polished, but I think he is the most intriguing physical prospect of the bunch. No matter how he performs this year, an agile 6'11 with a 7'2"+ wingspan (from the looks) and hefty vertical is a very unique talent. Given the NBA's propensity for drafting based on potential, I'm curious... do you expect we will at least be having this conversation next summer?

    (And yes, it's way to early for rational people to "worry" about this.... but what else are we going to speculate about that we haven't already worn out this summer?)
    Only Greg Newton could come up with a scenario like this! Please, go watch Duke play on ESPN Classic. Hang in there, folks! We will have a season... just not yet! Go DEVILS!
    DukeDevilDeb

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC

    Wild and Unlikely Scenarios Thread

    We should start a wild and unlikely scenarios thread that is a catch-all for ideas like this one, new threads started between the hours of Midnight and 4am, guys we arent recruiting, and fans attempts at allocating mpg to the players on the roster. This could really keep things organized!

    Super "Can't for the team picture to come out so people can discuss how ripped someone looks!" Dave

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    We should start a wild and unlikely scenarios thread that is a catch-all for ideas like this one, new threads started between the hours of Midnight and 4am, guys we arent recruiting, and fans attempts at allocating mpg to the players on the roster. This could really keep things organized!

    Super "Can't for the team picture to come out so people can discuss how ripped someone looks!" Dave
    Yeah - the thread should be called "Sooooo, I was up late last night and..."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville

    WOW, tough crowd today...

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Only Greg Newton could come up with a scenario like this! Please, go watch Duke play on ESPN Classic. Hang in there, folks! We will have a season... just not yet! Go DEVILS!
    LOL, okay, okay, you're right... UNC makes a third round NIT exit. That last scenario was just silly.

    Look, my main point is this: many posters have said their optimistic-but-realistic projection for him this year is around 8 and 6. If Duke has a successful year, does that type of season put him in the draft conversation given that he is a 6-11 freshman freak-athlete at a top-flight program? Again, see Ed Davis. Personally, I think it might. We'll see. I don't think it's "stupid" or "wild" to even suggest it.

    I've long been of the opinion that Mason has the most raw NBA potential of any recruit we've landed in the latter half of the decade, or any we are currently pursuing (with the exception of HB). The fact that our two best players have been gushing about his talent level and readiness to start after just 2 months of summer play has not done much to dissuade me of this opinion. Just because he is currently under the radar of all-knowing nbadraft.net does not make this opinion indisputably wrong.

    But mods, if you feel this thread should be locked, that's fine. I personally think it's a legitimate question to bring up given a) how much folks have projected Mason's 2009-2010 season and b) how many folks are discussing the potential 2010-2011 season already, but we can keep the August banter to interpreting Kyrie Irving's various twitter updates and debating whether we're 8th vs. 9th on Brandon Knight's list if that's so much less "ridiculous"...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    You don't think "freak athlete" might not be a bit over the top?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    But mods, if you feel this thread should be locked, that's fine. I personally think it's a legitimate question to bring up given a) how much folks have projected Mason's 2009-2010 season and b) how many folks are discussing the potential 2010-2011 season already, but we can keep the August banter to interpreting Kyrie Irving's various twitter updates and debating whether we're 8th vs. 9th on Brandon Knight's list if that's so much less "ridiculous"...
    Just remember that those are actual events and while we don't mind season predictions, it's a bit ambitous to go all the way to the NBA when we haven't seen him in a Duke jersey.

    FYI - Brandan Wright has played in 77 games in two seasons. That doesn't bode well for Plumlee or Davis.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You don't think "freak athlete" might not be a bit over the top?
    Not with such a ringing endorsement from a guy who can do all of this in just 75 seconds!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckF5M2HSA0o

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You don't think "freak athlete" might not be a bit over the top?
    Perhaps so. I would love to know what his official wingspan measurement is... it may well be his length that is "freakish" rather than his pure athleticism, but at the very least he is quite a good athlete for his size. In any case, he seems to get up higher with less effort than anyone we've had in a long time, if ever.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Folks... he is yet to play a single game at Duke. Lets at least wait until he is dominating before we start fretting about his pro prospects, ok?

    I would strongly urge anyone to think long and hard before they post anything additional in this thread. I struggle to come up with anything worthwhile that needs to be said on this subject at this time.

    Neither NBADraft.net nor DraftExpress have Mason in their 2010 mock drafts. Heck, NBADraft.net does not even have him in their 2011 mock. DraftExpress does not have a 2011 mock.

    -Jason "I should probably just lock this thread, but I hate locking threads" Evans
    How early is too early to predict his jersey in the rafters?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    I dunno

    Mason's not exactly Patrick Davidson, is he? Let's not get our hopes up too much.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    How early is too early to predict his jersey in the rafters?
    I dunno, ask Jason Evans...

    (I think I have the correct [or incorrect, depending on your point of view] "prognosticator" for a certain player's #42 jersey to the rafters who left after 3 years...)

    If not, my public apology to Mr. Evans in advance.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I dunno, ask Jason Evans...

    I thought I had.

Similar Threads

  1. Mason Plumlee Interview -- Duke Blue Planet
    By airowe in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 05:39 PM
  2. Mason Plumlee Collector Thread
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 370
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
  3. Mason Plumlee Highlight reel
    By jma4life in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 09:12 PM
  4. Mason Plumlee Snubbed?
    By grad_devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
  5. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •