Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke offers Marshall Plumlee

BDN has learned that Coach K made the call with an offer to 6-11 Marshall Plumlee. Now, show me where someone else has broken that news

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/08/b...shall-plumlee/

Duke's Mahaffey's.

I thought you would be breaking this news before Tokoto Watzone. Nice scoop!

Plumlee and Tokoto

A lot of people wanted a more aggressive approach to recruiting, and the coaching staff has certainly not disappointed in that regard. The Olympics definitely do not seem to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Duke's Mahaffey's.
    Post of the day!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Duke's Mahaffey's.
    http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...012109aaa.html

An excellent article on the 4 Mahaffey brothers of Clemson from our own Jim Sumner.

"It was hard to miss them. Tom, Donnie, Randy, and Richie — at least one played for every Clemson basketball varsity basketball team from 1960 through 1970. They were all about the same size, 6’7” to 6’8”, 215 to 220 pounds. All were tough inside players, who could score, defend, and rebound."...

How About the 6 Jones Brothers from Albany, GA?

I remember that there was always a Jones from Albany State; that's Albany Georgia to all you northerners like me, not University of Albany (NY). That was Oliver, Wilbert, Melvin, Caldwell, Charles and Major Jones. A couple of brothers were NBA caliber players.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Albany (North) '78
    Duke '80, '83

Does anybody have any thoughts about K breaking the NABC guidelines with these scholarship offers? Is it a big deal or not? Does the fact that other programs do it make it more acceptable or not?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Does anybody have any thoughts about K breaking the NABC guidelines with these scholarship offers? Is it a big deal or not? Does the fact that other programs do it make it more acceptable or not?
    OK, I am flummoxed (to quote Nero Wolfe). What is NABC and what are their guidelines and why should we care?

Marshall is starting his junior year of HS right now, so I'm pretty sure offering him does not go against the guideline.

You're referring to the suggestion (or is there a more accurate term?) from the National Association of Basketball Coaches that college coaches not make scholarship offers to high school players until they complete their sophomore years (or is it by a date specific?)

Tokoto is the class of 2012, but Marshall Plumlee is the class of 2011.

Coach K and staff got a chance to see and work with Tokoto at the Elite Camp, and also apparently met and spent time with his family. The parties involved apparently thought Tokoto and Duke were a good fit.

No, I'm not bothered by the offer under the circumstances.

As it appears that we were about the fifth school to offer Tokoto, it doesn't seem to me that we are exactly breaking new ground here.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    BDN has learned that Coach K made the call with an offer to 6-11 Marshall Plumlee. Now, show me where someone else has broken that news

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/08/b...shall-plumlee/
    If we get him, will we have to call him MP3?

Quote Originally Posted by beltwayBD View Post
    If we get him, will we have to call him MP3?
    I think so, especially for the 2011-12 season, where there may be all 3 of them on the roster.

We have a portable DVD player that my wife uses in the car occasionally. It is made by Mustek, and it is an 8.5" model. I noticed today the box sitting in my den, and plastered all over it is the model number -- MP85. So, I was wonderering how generations before we get to MP85?

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    We have a portable DVD player that my wife uses in the car occasionally. It is made by Mustek, and it is an 8.5" model. I noticed today the box sitting in my den, and plastered all over it is the model number -- MP85. So, I was wonderering how generations before we get to MP85?

A good question for Mr. and Mrs. Plumlee, though his name Perky seems to indicate he is trying.

What do we say on Senior Day for MP3? "3 more boys...3 more boys".

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    You're referring to the suggestion (or is there a more accurate term?) from the National Association of Basketball Coaches that college coaches not make scholarship offers to high school players until they complete their sophomore years (or is it by a date specific?)

Tokoto is the class of 2012, but Marshall Plumlee is the class of 2011.

Coach K and staff got a chance to see and work with Tokoto at the Elite Camp, and also apparently met and spent time with his family. The parties involved apparently thought Tokoto and Duke were a good fit.

No, I'm not bothered by the offer under the circumstances.
    Sorry, I posted this under the wrong thread (so many offers going around its hard to keep track)

I believe the date is June 15th following their sophomore year.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    A lot of people wanted a more aggressive approach to recruiting, and the coaching staff has certainly not disappointed in that regard. The Olympics definitely do not seem to be a problem.
    i dont think offering a high school junior to be and a sophomore to be, aggressive, i think coach k is reaching out and being more proactive to possible recruits earlier.

if coach k, had done this to john wall, i think it wall would be at duke right now.

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil2001 View Post
    i dont think offering a high school junior to be and a sophomore to be, aggressive, i think coach k is reaching out and being more proactive to possible recruits earlier.

if coach k, had done this to john wall, i think it wall would be at duke right now.
    No Wall had all the reason's to go to Duke but decided not to. I think he never wanted to go but was urged by his coach and it seemed like his best option. O well lets move on seeing his name hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    No Wall had all the reason's to go to Duke but decided not to. I think he never wanted to go but was urged by his coach and it seemed like his best option. O well lets move on seeing his name hurts.
    yes, if coach k had started recruiting john wall early in his sophomore year, it would had made a huge impression on wall towards duke, instead of relying on his handler.