Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I'm trying to place the origin of the name Tokoto. Is his father Japanese?
    JP is named after his mother's father (his grandfather) Jean-Pierre Tokoto who was a very successful soccer player for Cameroon. Apparently, he taught JP how to play soccer and JP is quite good at that sport too.

JP has never had anything to do with Brian Oliver and calls his step-father, Trevor Trimble, "dad."

--Jason "there is enough story in this kid's background to fill up 8 or 9 games of material for Dickie V" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Taylor King committed to UCLA in 8th grade.

I agree that it this is a slippery slope scenario, but I'm not so sure it's any different than colleges encouraging 10th graders who do well on the PSAT to apply for their scholarship programs. I remember I got mail from Texas A&M practically every week from January of my sophomore year until the latest possible application deadline had passed in the spring of my senior year encouraging me to apply for one of their biggest scholarships, even though I repeatedly tried to take my self off the email list.

I know it can be argued that it is one thing to encourage kids to begin thinking about their college education at a younger age and quite another to get them commit to a school strictly for basketball as a sophomore. I also understand that there's a difference between encouraging a student to apply to a scholarship program that they couldn't even win until their senior year of HS and committing to attend a school as a soph . . . However, with recruits having a very limited time to use their five official visits and with financial considerations a serious concern for many recruits wishing to take a few UV earlier in their HS career, I don't have a problem with a coach letting a recruit know that there's a scholarship available for them early on so that recruit can be certain that their money will not be spent in vain if they want to take an UV before their senior year. I especially don't have a problem if coach K has gotten to talk to the recruit and the recruit's family.
    I think it's important to bear in mind that the NCAA and the NABC are primarily concerned with the interests of the programs, and then only secondarily the players.

Imagine the two basic scenarios:

Player A and player B are both really good in 9th grade, receive scholarship offers from solid D1 schools, and verbally commit. Then, player A gets even better, rises to the top of the class, and feels like he could do better than School 1. So he decommits from school 1 (and goes on to play for big money at UK).

Player B, on the other hand, stagnates, perhaps struggles with injury, but still plays. It becomes obvious that School 2 would have never given him an offer had they known how he would develop, and no other D1 schools are interested. Still, without other justifications (e.g., JamesOn Curry), the school can't legitimately drop their offer, at least not without severely hurting their credibility on the recruiting front. And meanwhile, the offer to player B hampered their ability to recruit at his position, so they're doubly screwed. But player B has a scholarship at a D1 school that he wouldn't ordinarily have.

The point is that players can reverse their verbal commitments but schools cannot (easily), so it benefits a player to get that scholarship in hand--he can always go after the two in the bush later. But schools don't care about players, so they want to curb this practice. This is one area where the players have an advantage, and it's not surprising that the programs want to end it. But they've got a nasty game-theoretic problem on their hands, and even if they develop some binding rule about it, enforcement is going to be very difficult.

So K has my blessing to go after all the 8th graders he wants. There was a running joke at the old uncbasketball forum about the next recruit: "sperm."

Quote Originally Posted by eightyearoldsdude View Post
    There was a running joke at the old uncbasketball forum about the next recruit: "sperm."
    I would have offered Lailaa Williams as a fertilized egg.

--Jason "" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I would have offered Lailaa Williams as a fertilized egg.

--Jason "" Evans
    yea i wish candance parker has a vengence against duke. She would rather send her to Unc lol

Quote Originally Posted by jesus_hurley View Post
    I don't want any more recruiting battles with Roy. Not good for the heart. Just go away Deputy.

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil2001 View Post
    this years game against wisconsin at madison, is going to be huge towards the recruiting of JP...lets hope we win and make a great impression on the young man.
    Why do you say that? Did he say that winning that game or how we play in that game was going to be a deciding factor or are you just guessing?? I bet I know the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I don't want any more recruiting battles with Roy. Not good for the heart. Just go away Deputy.
    Come on dude. How pathetic does that sounds. Roy is a heck of a recuiter but being scared like that just makes us look pathetic.

ITS ALRIGHT, ITS OK, YOU'RE GONNA WORK FOR US SOMEDAY

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Why do you say that? Did he say that winning that game or how we play in that game was going to be a deciding factor or are you just guessing?? I bet I know the answer...

if you know the answer then great.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 09-23-2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Come on dude. How pathetic does that sound. Roy is a heck of a recuiter but being scared like that just makes us look pathetic.

Roy's been in contact with Tokoto for a looong time.

And, if you don't think we're going to be battling Roy for recruits until he retires, get ready to.

We do win these battles too. Ryan Kelly and Kyle Singler come to mind immediately. Anyone else?

Come on dude. How pathetic does that sounds. Roy is a heck of a recuiter but being scared like that just makes us look pathetic.

I'm not scared of the outcome, just what the process does to my mental well being...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Roy's been in contact with Tokoto for a looong time.

And, if you don't think we're going to be battling Roy for recruits until he retires, get ready to.

We do win these battles too. Ryan Kelly and Kyle Singler come to mind immediately. Anyone else?
    IMO, I think a bunch of people are scared of Ole Roy for the whole Brandon Wright situation. It is the only true recruiting battle that Duke and UNC have been in together (outside of Barnes - more to come!). From what I heard, we had Wright until Ole Roy came in and swept him up.

Also, with the Barnes situation, everyone is shaking in their boots (including me). UNC came in late (like Wright) and had an amazing impression on the kid.

While I don't think that we should hate Roy for his efforts, my heart goes go bonkers when he is involved with the same recruit. I can't count Kelly and Singler as won battles as a) UNC didn't recruit either of them heavily and b) UNC hasn't been too affected by the loss of either. Had we had Wright, our season would have drastically changed. If we have Barnes, our future seasons will definitely change.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    IMO, I think a bunch of people are scared of Ole Roy for the whole Brandon Wright situation. It is the only true recruiting battle that Duke and UNC have been in together (outside of Barnes - more to come!). From what I heard, we had Wright until Ole Roy came in and swept him up.

Also, with the Barnes situation, everyone is shaking in their boots (including me). UNC came in late (like Wright) and had an amazing impression on the kid.

While I don't think that we should hate Roy for his efforts, my heart goes go bonkers when he is involved with the same recruit. I can't count Kelly and Singler as won battles as a) UNC didn't recruit either of them heavily and b) UNC hasn't been too affected by the loss of either. Had we had Wright, our season would have drastically changed. If we have Barnes, our future seasons will definitely change.
    I guess it depends on what you call a battle. Other notables that Duke has lost (if memory serves) are William Graves, and the new frosh Macdonald from Tennessee.

The fact is, Roy goes after the same type of kid that K does, dating back to Kansas days. He prefers scholar/athletes, mixed in with the occasional thug that Duke does not recruit.

So, let's keep our fingers crossed with Harrison, but be prepared for the future, because it's not going away.

Folks, Duke and Carolina have been going after the same recruits since shortly after the formation of the Milky Way Galaxy. The fundamental nature of the Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I agree Duke's 2007 season might have been drastically different if we had Brandon Wright. But you think the past two seasons would not have drastically changed if we had lost Kyle Singler? I don't get that logic at all.

We have won some and lost some against Williams. Wright was more painful because it came down to just the two schools and we looked to be well ahead. That is also why some of us are so nervous about Barnes.

Tokoto worries me because the rumblings are he wants to get it done soon, but has decided to wait until UNC can offer. Evidently either Roy or UNC has a policy against early offers? Is that related to the college basketball coaches association's recommendations? If UNC is following that, why aren't we?

I think the Harrison battle will be much like the Wall battle. It comes down to the relationship and how long we have been recruiting Harrison. Harrison will not just be swept off his feet, he is a good kid with character and family values. Wall had a great relationship with Calipari as does Harrison with Coach K. Once Kyrie commits, the dominoes of Rivers and Barnes are soon to follow.

I do not like that Ole Roy likes to recruit a kid we go after only to try to keep him from attending Duke. Many times it is well after we have been recruiting the kid just like he did with Wall.

Thats alright, Coach K with a bigger net and hitting the recruits earlier and more often has a great recruiting strategy. Carrawell and James were huge additions!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    We have won some and lost some against Williams. Wright was more painful because it came down to just the two schools and we looked to be well ahead. That is also why some of us are so nervous about Barnes.
    Pretty sure most people thought it was UK/Duke battle with UNC a distant 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    I think the Harrison battle will be much like the Wall battle. It comes down to the relationship and how long we have been recruiting Harrison. Harrison will not just be swept off his feet, he is a good kid with character and family values. Wall had a great relationship with Calipari as does Harrison with Coach K. Once Kyrie commits, the dominoes of Rivers and Barnes are soon to follow.

I do not like that Ole Roy likes to recruit a kid we go after only to try to keep him from attending Duke. Many times it is well after we have been recruiting the kid just like he did with Wall.

Thats alright, Coach K with a bigger net and hitting the recruits earlier and more often has a great recruiting strategy. Carrawell and James were huge additions!!
    let's not get to swept up in the great events of the last week. we dont even have irving yet, and even if we do get him there is no guarantee that we'll get austin rivers and, IMO, an even smaller chance we get barnes. all three could have huge impacts on the duke teams of the next 5 years, but, for now, we've got what we've got and nothing more.

i also don't think that williams necessarily recruits kids just to keep them away from duke. unc and duke are comparable programs, so it's only natural that they'd go after the same caliber players, and, every once in a while, that's going to overlap. no foul there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree Duke's 2007 season might have been drastically different if we had Brandon Wright. But you think the past two seasons would not have drastically changed if we had lost Kyle Singler? I don't get that logic at all.
    I never argued the point about not having Kyle Singler. UNC didn't recruit Singler and if they had, I don't think their season would have changed very much (one Final Four and a National Championship... can't really do better than that). If we didn't have Singler, than I agree, our last two seasons would have been very different. But I'm very sure I didn't make the reverse opinion...

UNC recruited Kyle Singler.