Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke Student Needs Crazy Towel Guy Stories

I am a current Crazie (actually a front row regular) and I am attempting to compile some Kville history with a particular focus on Crazy Towel Guy. Any and all anectodes or memories would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to get some hush money out of Herb. LOL

But can he promise not to poke you in the back, spill something on your chair or protect you from section projectiles? C'mon Watzone, get the ball rolling.

"Did you know" about Crazy Towel guy?...

In 1961 Duke had one of it's most successful baseball seasons, winning the ACC Championship and going to the College World Series in Omaha under the coaching of former football great Ace Parker.

Who was the student manager on that team?

...sophomore Herb Neubauer
    Last edited by roywhite; 02-22-2010 at 08:10 PM.

http://tinyurl.com/ygc7q4j

And, look up OZZIE4DUKE using the search function on this site. He'll be able to get you in touch...

One time I went to a Duke basketball game at Cameron and this crazy guy was waving a towel in circles.

It was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    And, look up OZZIE4DUKE using the search function on this site. He'll be able to get you in touch...
    http://www.dukeozzie.co.uk/index.html?_ret_=return

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schminglerfan View Post
    I am a current Crazie (actually a front row regular) and I am attempting to compile some Kville history with a particular focus on Crazy Towel Guy. Any and all anectodes or memories would be greatly appreciated.
    Check out this recent thread.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...558#post361558

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    Haha. Yeah, that's him.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    http://tinyurl.com/ygc7q4j

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    That's the wrong guy!

I've got his card around here somewhere with his email on it. Real easy to remember most of it - crazietowelguy@???.com I think it's yahoo, but I'm not sure.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Crazies, as a high school junior or senior and I am a guest of Duke at the Carolina game, I would be quite tickled maybe enough to commit if my name is being chanted by the Crazies over and over. Up to you guys and gals to get these two!!!

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.co...-for-unc-game/

Thanks for the links guys. Any times that you can remember that might follow

I'll never forget when...

or

I couldn't believe he...

or

It was so great that time....

I once ate a BBQ sandwich next to him in the annex. I was in awe of his celebrity.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

He lost a massive Duke t-shirt collection and an awesome(ly hot) Duke leather hat in a house fire.

He once came this close to being arrested into protective custody in Phog Allen.

He did get arrested for allegedly scalping tickets at the '88 final four in KC. When they ran his record, they also ran him in for an unpaid parking ticket from the '64 final four in KC.

And he's able to create remarkable weather simply by waving his towel.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    He lost a massive Duke t-shirt collection and an awesome(ly hot) Duke leather hat in a house fire.
    The hat is what he was famous for until fairly recently. I sat next to him at the regional final in Detroit in 1991. He made me show him my ticket to prove I really belonged in the seat. He told me he'd received several offers to buy the hat, for thousands of dollars, but he refused. He was never giving it up. When he lost it in the fire, I understand he was quite distraught. Then the following year he showed up with the towel and the rest is history.

By some amazing fortune I got a seat next to him at a preseason game that Duke played in the Greensboro Colliseum, circa 1998. He was an amazingly friendly and down-to-earth guy. Kids were coming up to him constantly asking for an autograph or a picture, and he acted like he was genuinely thrilled by it every time. Truly a legend in Duke history.

You could always walk up to him in the concourse outside of section 9 during halftime and ask him yourself.

The other thing you should know about Herb is that he's not just a guy who shows up at Duke basketball or football games... he's often in the crowd for the non-revenue sports. Don't be surprised if you decide to take in a women's field hockey game or a soccer game on a rainy day and you see him in the stands.

Thumbs up

I talked to him just before the beginning of the Va Tech game on the concourse outside section 9. He has always been very approachable. I think his goal this year is to attend every Duke home game in all sports, so you should be able to talk to him a lot.

ricks

Before he was known as Crazy Towel Guy, he was known to some undergrads as “Superfan” (this was during the blue leather hat days of the late 1980s).

In 1991, I was at the football game at South Carolina, and I heard someone say to him, “Superfan, we thought we’d see you here.”

A friend of mine has actually analyzed the change in nickname from a socio/pop culture perspective.

From a 1980s “Morning in America”/affirmation of power/Superman/Superfan perspective .... to a 1990s more ironic, perhaps cynical, otherness perspective that sounds like the Friends sitcom neighbor “Crazy Naked Guy”.

In one formulation, we all fans together and he is Superfan; in the other, he is set apart – we are sane but he is crazy.

I realize that the “Crazy” is said with love and respect and he embraces it and that will be how things are remembered, but he will always be more “super” than crazy to me.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    One thing to know about Herb is that he is a great supporter of ALL Duke sports, not just basketball. I remember a football game 3 years ago (Roof's last season) and Wade was about as hot and as empty as it could be. You could sit anywhere you wanted, and down below us was Herb with a "Wade Wackos" shirt on waving a giant flag. The game was ugly, the crowd was ugly, but he was there anyways. He also has tickets to all of the women's basketball games, and he goes on the road to see them play, too. I believe he is on a quest to go to one game or match of every Duke sport this year..I know I read that somewhere recently (and I just read Ricks68 mention of it as well). As other's have said, he is approachable and is a great guy to talk to. Make it to a football game this year, and visit him on Devil's Alley..he has a tent a couple spaces down from the Brunchgaters.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."