Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
  1. #1

    Class of 2012 JP Tokoto offered!

    He visited unc and met w/ roy williams the day before he came to Duke's elite camp. He enjoyed his unc visit very much but roy held off on an offer for the time being. Maybe Duke gains an advantage by offering before unc?

    "I just got off the phone with coach K," Trimble (Tokoto's father) said. "He offered him. It was a great conversation."

    "The trip went great," he added. "We all went and it was an honor. Coach K said us as a family would be a perfect fit for Duke. He thought JP's character and charisma and obviously his game were a perfect fit."

    Tokoto also has offers from Kansas, Tennessee, Indiana, Marquette, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Triangle
    Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    He visited unc and met w/ roy williams the day before he came to Duke's elite camp. He enjoyed his unc visit very much but roy held off on an offer for the time being. Maybe Duke gains an advantage by offering before unc?

    "I just got off the phone with coach K," Trimble (Tokoto's father) said. "He offered him. It was a great conversation."

    "The trip went great," he added. "We all went and it was an honor. Coach K said us as a family would be a perfect fit for Duke. He thought JP's character and charisma and obviously his game were a perfect fit."

    Tokoto also has offers from Kansas, Tennessee, Indiana, Marquette, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota.
    I had a long talk with JP and his Dad last evening and Duke called and offered this morning. Tokoto and his family are really sharp and Duke is in on this kid earlier than anyone before.

    http://bluedevilnation.net/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoop...123&id=1058128

    Had this link from Tokoto's home state of Wisconsin in another thread, but I'll add it to this one, since he apparently really does have a Duke offer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I had a long talk with JP and his Dad last evening and Duke called and offered this morning. Tokoto and his family are really sharp and Duke is in on this kid earlier than anyone before.

    http://bluedevilnation.net/
    I was wondering if we had offered a sophomore before, seems K doesn't do that. Or at least didn't.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I was wondering if we had offered a sophomore before, seems K doesn't do that. Or at least didn't.
    We offered Dmarc at the very end of his sophomore year. But, yeah, it's generally against Coach K's practice. And JP Tokoto is in the summer between his freshman and sophomore years, so that's way before Dmarc.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I had a long talk with JP and his Dad last evening and Duke called and offered this morning. Tokoto and his family are really sharp and Duke is in on this kid earlier than anyone before.

    http://bluedevilnation.net/
    Watzone - there are some rumors that Tokoto may decide very soon. Is this just wishful thinking?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Triangle
    Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Watzone - there are some rumors that Tokoto may decide very soon. Is this just wishful thinking?
    I hate rumors! Jusdging from what his Mom, Dad and JP said, it will go on until, well longer. I was able to see him play during the Orlando Showcase and think it's a wise offer on Duke's part.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    I had heard this might happen. Hope it works out for the best.

  9. #9
    Wow. The staff must be really impressed by Tokoto to offer him so early.

    Here's an interview and a few clips:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1oXdKYVecg

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mizzou, post-Quin
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I was wondering if we had offered a sophomore before, seems K doesn't do that. Or at least didn't.
    There's a reason for that...

    http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...hands-younguns

    (The blog actually talks about MP3, but the agreement is what's relevant).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Wow. The staff must be really impressed by Tokoto to offer him so early.
    They also have violated the NABC guideline asking coaches not to offer sophomores (much less rising sophomores). I'm a little torn about this offer.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    They also have violated the NABC guideline asking coaches not to offer sophomores (much less rising sophomores). I'm a little torn about this offer.
    They did along with the other 7 or whatever schools that have also apparently offered him. The whole thing is kind of strange.

  13. #13
    Maybe he can graduate real early?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    They also have violated the NABC guideline asking coaches not to offer sophomores (much less rising sophomores). I'm a little torn about this offer.
    As a heel, I'm glad Roy is sticking to the NABC guidelines, but I'm not sure it's a huge deal either way. Today's sophomores have been playing in national AAU tournaments for a few years, and they probably are more sophisticated about the recruiting process than sophs were in the '80s or '90s. But I catch your drift--with the Wall recruitment, the elite camp, and now this, Duke does seem to be making changes on the recruiting front.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    CA
    this years game against wisconsin at madison, is going to be huge towards the recruiting of JP...lets hope we win and make a great impression on the young man.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC

    Nationality

    I'm trying to place the origin of the name Tokoto. Is his father Japanese?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC

    earlier and earlier

    Quote Originally Posted by eightyearoldsdude View Post
    As a heel, I'm glad Roy is sticking to the NABC guidelines, but I'm not sure it's a huge deal either way. Today's sophomores have been playing in national AAU tournaments for a few years, and they probably are more sophisticated about the recruiting process than sophs were in the '80s or '90s.
    I think the concern is, where do you draw the line? If every school wants to be the first to offer a kid, then we're going to see offers made to younger and younger kids. So if a guideline is set then at least there's a boundary that gets made and everyone's on the same page.

    Didn't Kentucky make an offer to an eighth grader?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    His biological father is former GT star Brian Oliver. I believe the two are not close.

  19. #19

    Not exactly....

    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I'm trying to place the origin of the name Tokoto. Is his father Japanese?
    Brian Oliver from GT's lethal weapon 3 team

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Oliver

    And i got beat to the punch....
    Last edited by jesus_hurley; 08-26-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: adding comment

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think the concern is, where do you draw the line? If every school wants to be the first to offer a kid, then we're going to see offers made to younger and younger kids. So if a guideline is set then at least there's a boundary that gets made and everyone's on the same page.

    Didn't Kentucky make an offer to an eighth grader?
    If I'm not mistaken, Taylor King committed to UCLA in 8th grade.

    I agree that it this is a slippery slope scenario, but I'm not so sure it's any different than colleges encouraging 10th graders who do well on the PSAT to apply for their scholarship programs. I remember I got mail from Texas A&M practically every week from January of my sophomore year until the latest possible application deadline had passed in the spring of my senior year encouraging me to apply for one of their biggest scholarships, even though I repeatedly tried to take my self off the email list.

    I know it can be argued that it is one thing to encourage kids to begin thinking about their college education at a younger age and quite another to get them commit to a school strictly for basketball as a sophomore. I also understand that there's a difference between encouraging a student to apply to a scholarship program that they couldn't even win until their senior year of HS and committing to attend a school as a soph . . . However, with recruits having a very limited time to use their five official visits and with financial considerations a serious concern for many recruits wishing to take a few UV earlier in their HS career, I don't have a problem with a coach letting a recruit know that there's a scholarship available for them early on so that recruit can be certain that their money will not be spent in vain if they want to take an UV before their senior year. I especially don't have a problem if coach K has gotten to talk to the recruit and the recruit's family.

Similar Threads

  1. Quincy Miller to Baylor
    By houstondukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1137
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
  2. Brandon Knight Offered
    By nicktonyg22 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 03:36 AM
  3. Class of 2011 and 2012
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 03:00 AM
  4. Beloit College Mindset List- Class of 2012
    By sue71 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
  5. Class of 2012
    By 77devil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •