Post asteroids (plug for a friend)

<Shameless plug>
    Some friends of mine (including two Duke '00 grads) made a multi-player online asteroids clone for a competition, literally over the weekend - basically they had to create something from scratch in 48-hours for the competition.

Please check it out, and if you like it, public voting starts Thursday the 27th.
    </Shameless plug>

Doesn't run in IE???

Sorry, any web app that doesn't support the browser with 75% market share = fail.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Doesn't run in IE???

Sorry, any web app that doesn't support the browser with 75% market share = fail.
    ha! 75%? market penetration maybe, but most pages i've seen puts ie6+ie7+ie8 at 40-60% range. besides, ie is so bad with javascript compatibility/speed.

I just tried to play in Firefox. Did not work. I got the screen to load, but I was unable to move or fire.

My vote is... it sucks so far

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I just tried to play in Firefox. Did not work. I got the screen to load, but I was unable to move or fire.

My vote is... it sucks so far

-Jason
    Seriously, it HAS to work in firefox. That should be the #1 priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Seriously, it HAS to work in firefox. That should be the #1 priority.
    UPDATE: It worked fine on my computer, and I've been told that there was an issue with FF3.0, as it was only tested with FF3.5 and Safari. Tough to test on multiple browsers when you've only got 48 hours. FF3.0, IE7, and IE8 are now supported on http://dev.lazeroids.com/ but since the competition is currently in judging phase, they can't update the real site yet. Keep in mind that almost the entire thing was written in Javascript (except the sound I think), which is pretty incredible in itself, not to mention it was done in 48 hours

demo video
    leaderboards (currently it's tied for 2nd among 161 teams, prior to public voting)

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    UPDATE: It worked fine on my computer, and I've been told that there was an issue with FF3.0, as it was only tested with FF3.5 and Safari. Tough to test on multiple browsers when you've only got 48 hours. FF3.0, IE7, and IE8 are now supported on http://dev.lazeroids.com/ but since the competition is currently in judging phase, they can't update the real site yet. Keep in mind that almost the entire thing was written in Javascript (except the sound I think), which is pretty incredible in itself, not to mention it was done in 48 hours

demo video
    leaderboards (currently it's tied for 2nd among 161 teams, prior to public voting)
    Yup, it works now. Very cool.

Am I to understand that several of us could play at the same time or something like that? If so, that would be really cool.

-Jason "the way the universe resets when you get to the edge of the screen is neat too" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    ha! 75%? market penetration maybe, but most pages i've seen puts ie6+ie7+ie8 at 40-60% range. besides, ie is so bad with javascript compatibility/speed.
    Well, I'm quoting based off of visitors to my company's web sites, so it's likely there's some skew there. But, it seems like there's quite a range amongst other sources, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...f_web_browsers

It also depends on whether you're talking US or global.