Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
If she naturally has too much testosterone to compete as a female, will they allow her to compete as a male? Would she have the ability to compete with men?
I'm sure they'd let her compete as a male. I think they'd let anybody compete as a male...maybe in track and field there are rules prohibiting females from participating in male events, but there isn't that rule in golf, football, etc. So, I'm not really sure. But why would somebody who has been raised as and thinks of herself as a female choose to compete against much faster runners?

No, she wouldn't be able to compete with men. Her 1:55.45 personal best time in the 800 m at the world championships, which demolished her competition and was the fastest time in the world for this year, would have placed her in 47th in the men's competition - ahead of just two runners who finished (and probably fell or something with their times). So, I suppose it's possible she'd be able to qualify for the men's competition (although not very likely), but she'd have no chance of winning.

In my mind, I agree with A-Tex Devil in that if it doesn't appear she did anything wrong, but just her natural biology being different, then there's certainly no reason to strip her of her previous medals. But, allowing her to continue to compete as a female is more unclear as she seemingly has a big advantage. Having said that, most amazing athletes are born with a "big advantage." Lance Armstrong's lung's have a ridiculously large capacity that allow him to be a better cyclist - do we ban him because that's unfair? No, of course not. Although I realize gender issues/hormones are seen as distinct from other physical traits, but in the end, it's just how somebody was born...