Cool Fayetteville NC and Florence SC advice please...

Hi-

I'm headed out of town in a couple hours, but I'll check this when I get where I'm going. I'm gonna be eating ONE dinner in either Fayetteville or Florence in the next day or so.

So, what's the best place to eat in those two towns? I'm not looking for the 5 star, really expensive place necessarily, thought that's fine too. What I'm looking for it the best place to eat that the locals really like. Maybe it's just some hole in the wall.

Thanks,
    Joe

I like J&K's delicatessen in Fayetteville. It's a greasy spoon at the corner of Owen Drive and Raeford Road.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Hi-

I'm headed out of town in a couple hours, but I'll check this when I get where I'm going. I'm gonna be eating ONE dinner in either Fayetteville or Florence in the next day or so.

So, what's the best place to eat in those two towns? I'm not looking for the 5 star, really expensive place necessarily, thought that's fine too. What I'm looking for it the best place to eat that the locals really like. Maybe it's just some hole in the wall.

Thanks,
    Joe
    You have my deepest sympathies.

Tom Wolfe once described Fayeteville's main drag as a "gaudy, gullet from Hell..." - spoken like a master poet.

I have a friend at Bragg and even he doesn't like to go FVille. Flo-town is a little better...can't help on the food other than a Cracker Barrel. My advice is to keep driving....and roll 'em up!

Obviously I'm several days late to this thread but you should have eaten at Fred Chason's Grandsons:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...pe+Mills%2C+NC

It is right off I-95 and the food is good. As someone who was born and raised in Fayetteville, I should be offended by the negative comments about my hometown in this thread, but it is difficult to be offended when I agree with them. As I always say, Fayetteville is a great place to be from.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Obviously I'm several days late to this thread but you should have eaten at Fred Chason's Grandsons:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...pe+Mills%2C+NC

It is right off I-95 and the food is good. As someone who was born and raised in Fayetteville, I should be offended by the negative comments about my hometown in this thread, but it is difficult to be offended when I agree with them. As I always say, Fayetteville is a great place to be from.
    I grew up there too and have similar feelings - but I have to say Fayetteville has made some strides in recent years. Downtown in particular has gotten much better than it used to be. It's still not someplace I'd want to be after dark, but it's at least someplace I don't mind being during the day. Even Hay Street has been cleaned up some.

I have not tried Grandsons but the original Chason's was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I grew up there too and have similar feelings - but I have to say Fayetteville has made some strides in recent years. Downtown in particular has gotten much better than it used to be. It's still not someplace I'd want to be after dark, but it's at least someplace I don't mind being during the day. Even Hay Street has been cleaned up some.

I have not tried Grandsons but the original Chason's was amazing.
    And you can go visit the old Slave Market...