Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "what hat will Shef wear? I think Marlin. What about Vlad? Expo or Angel?" Evans
    I think Vlad will be an Angel. I don't think Shef will get in, but if he did - geez, who knows? Marlin is a good guess.

hats

You know that players no longer get to choose their HOF hats -- thanks to Wade Boggs.

When Boggs was negotiating with the Tampa Bay Devil (at the time) Rays near the end of his career, he tried to use the HOF hat a a bargaining tool ... in return for more money, he offered to pick Tampa Bay for his HOF bust.

The HOF quickly stepped in and assumed responsibility for picking hats.

As for Sheffield, I think it would be Marlins -- not only was he there longest, but it was in his prime and that's where he won his one world championship ring.

For Vlad, as of this moment, he's played 1004 games with the Expos and just over 800 for the Angels. He won his only MVP with the Angels, but finished ranked in the MVP vote more often with the Expos. Tough call, but since the point was to talk about "drop dead" HOFers, if he was being voted on based on today's career, I'd say Expos.

But another couple of years in LA would change that.

I did not know that, but it's a good decision. Boggs in the HoF with a Devil Rays cap would have been ridiculous. It also avoids guys bitter towards their old teams from sticking it to them - so we won't see Smoltz go in wearing a Cardinals cap, for example.

I'm thinking Roger Clemens isn't getting in, but if he did the hat debate would be a good one. Won his WS titles with the Yankees, but pitched longest with the Red Sox and had both of his 20-K games in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I did not know that, but it's a good decision. Boggs in the HoF with a Devil Rays cap would have been ridiculous. It also avoids guys bitter towards their old teams from sticking it to them - so we won't see Smoltz go in wearing a Cardinals cap, for example.

I'm thinking Roger Clemens isn't getting in, but if he did the hat debate would be a good one. Won his WS titles with the Yankees, but pitched longest with the Red Sox and had both of his 20-K games in Boston.
    Clemens and Bonds are both going in. The vote totals will be a lot lower than they might have otherwise been, but both guys were dominant players, HOF caliber, long before they started juicing (at least that is how most folks figure it).

As for hats, Clemens will be wearing a Red Sox hat. It ain't even all that close. 13 years with the Red Sox and 3 Cy Young awards. Only 6 years with the Yankees and only 1 Cy Young. Sure, he won his 2 World Series rings in NY, but it is not like he did not have significant post-season success in Boston. Plus, his Yankee years are his tainted years anyway.

--Jason "when do you figure Bonds started juicing 2000 or 2001? Does anyone think the Rocket was juicing while in Toronto?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "when do you figure Bonds started juicing 2000 or 2001? Does anyone think the Rocket was juicing while in Toronto?" Evans
    I think Bonds started after the 1998 season, jealous of the attention lavished on McGwire and Sosa. I definitely think Clemens began juicing in 1997 with Toronto.