Thread: European Travel

European Travel

For any of you world travelers out there....

My wife and I are considering a self guided trip to Europe in mid 2011. We'd like to include western Italy and I'd like to move up as far north as Ireland. Most likely looking to stay about 3 1/2 weeks.

We're not really interested in one of the "tours" that push and pull you everywhere. We'd just like to take things at our own pace and enjoy the various sights.

Any suggestions for research materials either on the web or a book?

This guy...
    http://www.ricksteves.com/
    seems to know a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by brianl View Post
    It's been a while since I went but I liked the "AAA Spiral Guide" series when touring Italy. Michelin's Green Guide seems to be highly rated but I found them to be too comprehensive.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    This guy...
    http://www.ricksteves.com/
    seems to know a lot.
    I second Rick Steves. His books really give you local flaire and his personal opinions and humor. He doesn't necessary tell you to go to the most touristy/famous sites, but rather highlights sites and restaurants that are authentic. I liked his book and used it a lot when I was in Europe in 2006.

http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Eu...9593862&sr=8-2

Three-and-a-half weeks is not a lot of time to cover the kind of ground you're talking about. You'll end up with sort of a bare highlights reel like highschool history trips get. If you really want to hit all those divergent spots, think about what areas you really want to spend time in, and then plot out the travel times between them. That might give you pause and lead you to consider narrowing the scope of your travels.

Quote Originally Posted by brianl View Post
    For any of you world travelers out there....

My wife and I are considering a self guided trip to Europe in mid 2011. We'd like to include western Italy and I'd like to move up as far north as Ireland. Most likely looking to stay about 3 1/2 weeks.

We're not really interested in one of the "tours" that push and pull you everywhere. We'd just like to take things at our own pace and enjoy the various sights.

What are you interested in seeing and experiencing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I second Rick Steves. His books really give you local flaire and his personal opinions and humor. He doesn't necessary tell you to go to the most touristy/famous sites, but rather highlights sites and restaurants that are authentic. I liked his book and used it a lot when I was in Europe in 2006.

http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Eu...9593862&sr=8-2
    I'll third this. The Rick Steves books were extremely useful for trips to Paris and Venice/Florence.

Don't know what your language skills are, but consider studying enough to know a few basic phrases for the countries you will visit.

I recommend you plan out a fairly general itinerary that includes the main things you know you want to see, but be sure to allow time for places you hear about along the way. To cover that much area in so little time, you might want to plan to sleep on the trains. A Eurail Pass might be a good idea.

I spent the fall of my junior year in France. I used the Eurail Pass and Let's Go Europe to guide me, along with word of mouth. Granted, I was a poor college student, but Let's Go offers some ideas of interesting places to stay and visit. You have a lot of time to plot out your trip, so have fun with it!

**If you're in Italy, you have to do Florence. It would be a crime, otherwise.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Rick Steve's shows and books are great. I used them extensively on a 2 month trip to Europe after college. Some of my favorite places;

Cinque Terre, Italy. Absolutley beautiful. 5 rugged towns on the jagged italian riveria. One of my top 3 favorite places.

Grenoble, France. The French alps. Beautiful small city, nice people.

Dingle, Ireland. A town on the coast known for its pubs. A tad bit touristy but again its known for its pubs and nice people. I've been there multiple times and it never dissappoints.

Aran Islands, Ireland. 3 islands outside of Galway Bay. Galway is a nice city in itself. But the Aran Islands are as rustic and beautiful as anything in Ireland. One of the last places that teaches gaelic in its schools.

I would echo some of the other comments about biting off too much on your trip. travel days are wasted days and they tire you out. Do a ton of research and pick a couple of can't miss places and really experience them.

DukieInKansas wrote: "Don't know what your language skills are, but consider studying enough to know a few basic phrases for the countries you will visit."

I'll second that advice. Natives appreciate visitors who can give them a simple greeting and say "Please" and "Thank you". Be sure you know how to ask directions to the terlet. I think it helps if you first ask someone if he/she speaks English and go from there based on the answer you get. Most people who deal directly with tourists (concierges, maitre'd's, hotel desk staff, shopkeepers, etc) will be multi-lingual to some extent as opposed to bellboys, foodservers, etc. I'll never forget entering a hotel in Paris and hearing an over-bearing American woman start yakking away in Americanese at a hapless baggage-carrying porter, who looked absolutely dumb-founded (and I don't think it was an act).
    Last edited by Raleighfan; 08-07-2009 at 09:07 AM.

I'll go along with all who advise you not to try to do too much in one trip, but still...you gotta go to Paris! Even if you do nothing but walk along a major boulevard or visit one of the beautiful public parks. Paris is a feast for the senses and one of my regrets is that I didn't experience it earlier in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighfan View Post
    I'll go along with all who advise you not to try to do too much in one trip, but still...you gotta go to Paris! Even if you do nothing but walk along a major boulevard or visit one of the beautiful public parks. Paris is a feast for the senses and one of my regrets is that I didn't experience it earlier in my life.
    Kind of like A Moveable Feast?

Moveable Feast indeed!

...and I'm glad to report that we've just firmed up arrangements to go there again next month (between home FB games!).

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighfan View Post
    ...and I'm glad to report that we've just firmed up arrangements to go there again next month (between home FB games!).
    Awesome! Perhaps my favorite city in the world, not that I've been to very many others. I just find myself returning again and again. But I will be taking my first trip to Italy next year.

As far as books go, I like Michelin. Fodors seems to jampacked of info for me. Too much to degest. Whatever books you do get, make sure they have plastic pullout maps. They were very helpful during my trip to Normandy last year.

If you do go to Paris, grab one of the free magazines/ads targeting tourists. I don't remember what all was in the magazine, but there was a great map of the city and metro system. I pulled it out to carry around - it got us to many a destination during that stay.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If you do go to Paris, grab one of the free magazines/ads targeting tourists. I don't remember what all was in the magazine, but there was a great map of the city and metro system. I pulled it out to carry around - it got us to many a destination during that stay.
    Excellent suggestion. The pamphlets are everywhere. We used them for five days in Paris two years ago. The map was especially helpful because we had to walk everywhere - unluckily we went during the transportation strike. I don't recall whether the map had the metro stations on it, so make sure to get a good metro map as well.

Thanks for all the responses I'll give Stevie a good look and take (several suggestions) of maybe narrowing down the scope of our plans. I'll approach the topic again after some discussion with my wife to see what we really want to do.

I again thank everybody for the information.

I did not look forward to going to Paris, but after experiencing it have been back several times. Lots to do, and each area is different. I'm a big Left Bank fan but there's lots to do everywhere. The Orsay rocks.

Regarding Italy -- I agree that Florence/Firenze is necessary if you can swing it. The Uffizi and the David are great, and the Bargello is an overlooked gem. Southern Italy, I recommend Pompeii and we stayed in Capri for a few days. Good place to blow the budget.

Regarding language skills -- the French expect you to at least try, especially if you get outside of the major cities. In Italy, everyone I dealt with spoke English and was trying to practice it, except in Naples.

Have a great time, and embrace the differences.

OPK