Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron

Simple computer assistance needed!

The older I get, the harder the 'simple' computer needs tend to be!
    I have two nifty HP Pavilion a6212n PC's at work, each connected to a DSL modem (it is also wireless, but I have the machines individually and separately cabled), and I need to share a laser printer. Both run Vista Business, and I've set the local network settings to allow sharing without passwords, but I can't get the machine not directly USB'd to the printer to 'see' the printer. Both have the software drivers installed, and both have the printer as the default.
    What am I missing, and is there a simple solution (other than buying a second printer)?
    Thanks in advance,
    JStuart

I'm a bit confused on the topology...

Does the DSL modem double as a router/switch? Like, are there a bunch of ports in it that you plug your two comptuers and printer all into?

If the printer's plugged into it, does it get its IP address from DHCP on the DSL modem just like your computers (assuming they do)?

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I'm a bit confused on the topology...

Does the DSL modem double as a router/switch? Like, are there a bunch of ports in it that you plug your two comptuers and printer all into?

If the printer's plugged into it, does it get its IP address from DHCP on the DSL modem just like your computers (assuming they do)?
    I believe the modem -supplied by Verizon- does act as a router, but the printer is connected to one of the computers via usb; not directly connected to the modem, which is wireless, also.

I'm never heard of accessing a directly connected printer (via USB) from a 2nd computer which shares the same switch. It may be possible, but usuually the printer is directly hooked into the network somehow.

I've done this on XP, not Vista, but it should be similar.

On the computer with the printer attached directly (computer1):
    Note the computer name and the printer share name.

On the computer w/o the printer:
    Add a "network" printer.
    When asked for the printer location put:
    \\computer1\printer_share

That should be all you have to do.

this will solve your problems..

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTE3MDQ

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    I've done this on XP, not Vista, but it should be similar.

On the computer with the printer attached directly (computer1):
    Note the computer name and the printer share name.

On the computer w/o the printer:
    Add a "network" printer.
    When asked for the printer location put:
    \\computer1\printer_share

That should be all you have to do.
    Thanks,
    All that shows up on the 'add a network printer' panel, but the test page didn't print, and I guess I'll have to see if cabling the two machines together will solve it.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs down mac

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    ..about as much as a switch to a pencil and paper would.

Are both computers on? (I know it sounds silly)
    Are both computers on the same workgroup? It makes sharing easier.
    Do you have any type of software firewall? If so you will either have to turn them off or configure the trusted zone.

If you can try pinging the computer with the printer from the computer without the printer. That way you know your have a working router.

If you have a free ethernet port on your network you might consider connecting the printer to a networked USB print server. That gets around the pesky problem of having to have the computer with the printer turned on to have the printer available.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    ..about as much as a switch to a pencil and paper would.

take a look at the archives of this forum...you won't find a lot of Mac folks on here asking OTHER mac folks for solutions to problems...

there WILL be plenty of PC users wallowing in the mire of the dank hole known as WINDOWS...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    take a look at the archives of this forum...you won't find a lot of Mac folks on here asking OTHER mac folks for solutions to problems...

there WILL be plenty of PC users wallowing in the mire of the dank hole known as WINDOWS...
    Well, you get what you pay for.

Ahhhh, the firewall! A few adjustments, and the m-f'ers work!
    Thanks, greatly, Kdogg!

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Are both computers on? (I know it sounds silly)

Are both computers on the same workgroup? It makes sharing easier.
    Do you have any type of software firewall? If so you will either have to turn them off or configure the trusted zone.

If you can try pinging the computer with the printer from the computer without the printer. That way you know your have a working router.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I'm never heard of accessing a directly connected printer (via USB) from a 2nd computer which shares the same switch. It may be possible, but usuually the printer is directly hooked into the network somehow.
    That is exactly the same as my configuration when I had two HPs running on XP. It worked quite smoothly via wireless, and with two printers (with different capabilities), one attached by USB to one computer, and the other attached via the parallel port to the other. I still have two computers, one XP, and the other, Vista. Now the only thing I can share is the internet connection. No more file sharing either. Bummer. All I have been able to find out is that it is a somewhat common problem, but no fixes were found. Since I had installed the software for both printers on both computers, when I have a job that needs printing on the other computer, I just send the print file to the other computer, by email. It works, and it easier than doing it by flash drive, but it is a royal pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    That is exactly the same as my configuration when I had two HPs running on XP. It worked quite smoothly via wireless, and with two printers (with different capabilities), one attached by USB to one computer, and the other attached via the parallel port to the other. I still have two computers, one XP, and the other, Vista. Now the only thing I can share is the internet connection. No more file sharing either. Bummer. All I have been able to find out is that it is a somewhat common problem, but no fixes were found. Since I had installed the software for both printers on both computers, when I have a job that needs printing on the other computer, I just send the print file to the other computer, by email. It works, and it easier than doing it by flash drive, but it is a royal pain.
    Hey, Marine, I purchased a Parallel to USB cable and now connect my parallel HP Laser via usb port and find it both convenient (smaller, more flexible cable) and at least as fast. I too use a setup as you describe to be able to access both laser and ink jet from two computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Hey, Marine, I purchased a Parallel to USB cable and now connect my parallel HP Laser via usb port and find it both convenient (smaller, more flexible cable) and at least as fast. I too use a setup as you describe to be able to access both laser and ink jet from two computers.
    Semper fi, young fella. Thanks for the info on the combo parallel/usb cable. I will look for one the next time I move things around. I have an older Canon bubble jet with the parallel interface that is very useful for printing long drafts. Very fast for b&w text. It is connected to Mrs.Jarhead's computer. The newer one, another Canon connected to mine, is one of those combined fax, scanner and printer machines that can print both sides of the paper. I am annoyed that I cannot network them. MS really screwed the pooch with this Vista thing.