"Chris" Laettner

Hey all,

So, just out of curiosity; was Christian Laettner ever called "Chris?" I can't seem to recall it ever happening, but having someone being called by their entire first name, rather than a shortened version, is somewhat uncommon, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey all,

So, just out of curiosity; was Christian Laettner ever called "Chris?" I can't seem to recall it ever happening, but having someone being called by their entire first name, rather than a shortened version, is somewhat uncommon, no?
    If my memory serves me correctly, Christian has a brother named Chris, so that abbreviation wouldn't have been used for him.

I believe his teammates called him Chris, much to the surprise of said brother.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey all,

He was called Chris once, on the way towards the Duke bench during a timeout by some guy named Rick, the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog44 View Post
    He was called Chris once, on the way towards the Duke bench during a timeout by some guy named Rick, the rest is history.
    Please elaborate on this, thanks.

Hill to Laettner Against UK

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    Please elaborate on this, thanks.
    The Shot?!? I am pretty sure that is what he was eluding to. Just a shot (no pun intended) in the dark!

Christian's brother Chris was a minor league baseball umpire. He worked in the South Atlantic League, among other assignments, around 15 or so years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    The Shot?!? I am pretty sure that is what he was eluding to. Just a shot (no pun intended) in the dark!
    Got it, thanks.

For some reason the name Rick immediately made me think of Rick Fox, instead of Pitino.

Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    Got it, thanks.

For some reason the name Rick immediately made me think of Rick Fox, instead of Pitino.
    not a particularly appealing choice, no matter how you look at it.