Thread: Alex Hassan

Alex Hassan

I hadn't seen this reported, but Alex Hassan has apparently signed a professional contract with the Red Sox. Drafted by the Sox in the 20th round, Alex played for a time this summer in the Cape Cod League. Currently, he's playing OF for the Lowell Spinners, the Red Sox affiliate in the short season New York - Penn League, where's he's batting .375 after 2 games. I read that Duke has a stellar freshman class coming in in '10, but this must be disappointing not to have Alex come back for his final season.

That's Alex, of course. Stupid typo.

Hassan

Can't blame him. Opportunity at a decent contract for one of the top 3-4 organizations in baseball is hard to pass up.

Good luck to Alex, maybe I'll go watch him play when I have the chance.

This was a bit of a surprise and a big blow for Duke. Hassan was a gold-glove outfielder, the lead-off hitter, and the closer.

He's also a New Englander, so I suspect that played a big role in his decision.

Very bright guy, very nice guy. Best of luck. Except when he plays the Yankees, of course.

The Cape League has a press release on its website about Hassan signing with the Red Sox.

http://www.capecodbaseball.org/

contract question

So they pay for his last year at Duke, and he returns to finish his academics?

Or that's just an equivalent financial consideration?

Good luck to him; he's been a key part of the resurgence in Duke baseball.

It's a disappointment to see such a good player leave early for the big dance, but oh, what a change in Duke baseball fortunes that this is even possible now.

In a minor thread hijacking, Will Venable, who started for Princeton against Duke on 12/17/2003 and 1/5/2005, and caused a certain amount of trouble in the second game, scoring 21, is a starter for the San Diego Padres. If I recall correctly, Princeton got off to a hot start in the second game behind Venable's play. I distinctly remember the first time out in the first half the Princeton fans were going nuts, knowing what was going to come later, but intent on enjoying the moment. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    It's a disappointment to see such a good player leave early for the big dance, but oh, what a change in Duke baseball fortunes that this is even possible now.
    I'm not sure I agree with the last statement. Plenty of players have signed out of Duke over the years. Though more Duke players were drafted this year than in the past, the seniors were recruits of the former staff if I am not mistaken. None of this is a knock on Coach McNally who I believe is a fantastic coach and is doing a great job with a program that was in shambles. I also believe he may have developed these guys from non-draft to draft type players. However, Duke produced a fair number of pros even under Hillier. The latest Duke major leaguer is a top reliever for the Padres, Greg Burke, and he was a Hillier recruit as well.

Alex, recruited by this staff, is a prototypical McNally guy though. Very good two-way player. I think the Sox stole him in the 20th round. Good luck to him!

Based on this interview of Hassan from a few weeks ago, sounds like he's going to pitch for the Sox, not play OF.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...01/-1/SPORTS01

Alex Hassan sighting

I went to a Brooklyn Cyclones game yesterday. Their opponent was the Lowell Spinners, the Red Sox farm team that Hassan plays for. He played right field and batted second. According to the stat sheet passed out at the game, Hassan came in hitting .326 (29 for 89). He went 2 for 4 in the game with a walk and a stolen base, so ends his first pro season at .333. (This was the last regular season game).
    I sat in the right field bleachers right behind him and was impressed with him in the field. It is not just that he caught everything hit to right field, but constantly hustled to be in back-up position on throws to 1st and 2nd (which the Cyclones right fielder did not). He also made a very nice throw to 3rd that might have gotten the runner if the third baseman had held on (Hey - it's lower Class A ball.)
    All in all, he was one of the better players on the field, and although it is only lower Class A ball, he looks he can play the game and has a future.

Jim

Alex Hassan comments from a Sox beat writer

Alex Hassan, who hails from Milton, was a two-way player at Duke, closing and playing the outfield. He was drafted as a pitcher, but signed for $90,000 as an outfielder after a strong showing as a position player on the Cape. He’s athletic, currently hitting quite well in Lowell, and his low strikeout rate and raw power is intriguing. There’s some question about how his power will project in games (the right-hander’s swing is more driven by contact than power right now) as a professional, but there’s plenty to like, especially for a 20th-round selection.