Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    While I don't want to sound like I'm trying to justify what I did, I have to say that I do agree the best way around situations like this is not to speed. I'm probably the only driver in Delaware who travels at less than 60 MPH on I-95. What happened in NC was partly because we left Delaware at 4 A.M. to drive down with my other Marine twin son to get his stuff out of storage at New River (Jacksonville) to go to his next assignment (Penn State). My wife and I then drove up to see the twin son at Cherry Point.

Some of you are probably familiar with what it feels like to spend some time with a son who is headed off to the "Sandbox," although he isn't going until October. He's eager to go, and serve. We're of mixed feelings. After leaving Cherry Point, we got on Rt 70, and the speed limit was 70 MPH. I definitely zoned out, focusing on the road, but there was little traffic (and we were passed a few times). I set my cruise control at 78 MPH, which was probably too high - especially when my other son said later that the GPS indicated the car is going a few miles faster than indicated. Nothing on the road changed, no increase in traffic, no residential areas, so I just didn't see any changes in speed. I guess my mind was on other things.

But I am still at fault, and readily agree. If I had seen the signs, I would have been going much slower, and I should have seen the signs. I can understand the law, and do appreciate all of you who have taken the time to give ample warnings about the situation. Three days after the incident I've gotten nine letters from lawyers, and will definitely be hiring someone. Some sound pretty positive they can help.

The really nice thing is that I can go online to this forum, where I've been for a number of years (formerly jeliason on the old Web site), and get great feedback and advice. That, as is said, is priceless. Thanks again.

Could happen to any of us, MarineTwinsDad... Thanks for sharing, and I hope this works out okay for you.

Having a clean record, and two sons in the military won't hurt here, and may help considerably. That, and a competent, locally connected attorney will get you past this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    We had just spent the afternoon with one Marine twin son at Cherry Point, and started driving back across state on 70. The speed limit was listed at 70 MPH, so I set the cruise control to 78. I sort of zoned out, and then the state police showed up behind me. The officer asked, "Is there any reason why you were going 81 in a 55 MPH zone?" Apparently there were several signs to that effect. He printed out the ticket, and all it says is that I was going 81 in a 55 MPH zone, and that I have to show up for court in Trenton. At the bottom are two statements: one that if I don't appear and did not post a bond, it's really bad ("you may be arrested"); and the other that even if I post a bond, it's still bad ("you may be arrested").

The problem is that we live in Delaware, and were in NC to see my Marine son, who is on his way to Iraq. No question I was at fault, but my mind wasn't fully functional after we left my son. We were on an open road with a 70 MPH limit, and nothing changed on the road but the speed limit.

So my question is, do I really have to appear in court in Trenton, NC for this? There isn't even a phone number to call. I'm not trying to get free legal advice from those who practice law and need the fees, but perhaps someone has had something like this happen in NC and could give advice?
    I agree with others here. A local attorney should easily be able to work with a DA to assure deserved mercy rather than mere justice.

I had similar situation in Virginia... had to call 3 lawyers before I could find one to take my case, apparently judge in that county had a bit of a reputation... lucky us she called in sick that day and substitute judge gave me (my lawyer was there in my stead, I had to submit proof of a reason I couldn't come - still in school - with transcripts)

I know someone who did the same in NC and just plead guilty and received a fine to pay and thought it was over. Well, a couple of weeks later a letter ended up at her permanent address in NJ saying she had lost the right to drive in the state of NC for a year or so (can't remember exact length.) Apparently had to do with her being an out of state driver committing such a heavy "crime"... so if you do go to court make sure you bring someone else with you to drive you home in case you're not allowed to drive to the state line!

I had to go to court in Georgia, but the court date was during a week of volunteering that I could not miss. I was told I could write a letter to the court and get documentation from the non-profit, but that the letter would not be opened and evaluated until the actual day of court. I called after I left the volunteer week and they said, "Oh, yes, you missed you court day. Your request for a new day was denied." When I freaked out and asked if this was a big deal... she said "Well there's a warrant out for your arrest. You probably shouldn't drive anywhere until you see us." (I was in the middle of drive from Durham to ATL.) But, I got there, went in, and it all worked out (I was able to plead No-contest, whoo hoo!)