Is anybody out there a fiction writer?

I've finished my book, finally, and it seems in today's market that you pretty much have to have an agent representing you if you don't want to go the self-publishing route. However, all the agents seem to want a referral from a published writer for non-published writers (seems kind of annoying that you have to KNOW a writer to BE a writer, but, that's life). So, do you know/have a good agent in a fiction area? Or, would you be willing to write me a quick referral note to help me get in the door with some of these agents? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Not wanting to sound facetious but you are one talented fellow, Mr bjornolf. An artist, raising those three cutie pies and still producing books?! Wow, I wish I had some contacts for you but I'm a nobody. I'm pulling for you!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Not wanting to sound facetious but you are one talented fellow, Mr bjornolf. An artist, raising those three cutie pies and still producing books?! Wow, I wish I had some contacts for you but I'm a nobody. I'm pulling for you!
    Well said and I too congatulate Mr. bjornolf. Unfortunately, most of my fiction is filed with the court.

Congratulations, Bjornolf!

I'd recommend picking up a book called "Novel and Short Story Writer's Market 2009." That may help you locate an agent that best serves your needs.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice. I was actually planning on getting that book this morning. I have the 2004 and 2005 editions (shows you how long I've been editing for). I'm also gonna get their book that's JUST about agents. Apparently there are a lot of sham agents out there that are just looking to make a quick buck off their clients, so I need to cross-reference those books against the internet lists of bad agents. I'm so confused.

And weezie, I think you've got me confused with somebody else. I'm an ex-football player and an engineer, but nobody's EVER called me an artist. Unless you've seen my kids' birthday cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Unfortunately, most of my fiction is filed with the court.
    Yeah, well my fiction is centered on my bank balance!

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I've finished my book, finally, and it seems in today's market that you pretty much have to have an agent representing you if you don't want to go the self-publishing route. However, all the agents seem to want a referral from a published writer for non-published writers (seems kind of annoying that you have to KNOW a writer to BE a writer, but, that's life). So, do you know/have a good agent in a fiction area? Or, would you be willing to write me a quick referral note to help me get in the door with some of these agents? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    My sister in law, who lives just west of here, has a publishing company. I'll PM you the link.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com