Terry Sanford for President

I was hoping to get a unique gift for a friend who has everything. We had the good fortune to go to Duke during the "Uncle Terry" era, and I thought, a unique and fun present would be a framed campaign poster from one of his (unsuccessful) presidential bids during the 70's.

I doubt I could get an original; I'd love it if I could find a high-resolution scan of one someplace, have a big glossy printed professionally, and frame it. However, no luck on this particular item. Nothing on eBay; googling gives me a vague hint there may be some in the historical archives section of the UNC library, and a bad scan of a campaign button. If it is at UNC (I'd be surprised if it wasn't at Duke, but I couldn't find any indication of it.) I don't know what the procedure would be; could I walk in with a laptop and a scanner and get the image?

Can anyone suggest where I might start looking? I'm in the Triangle, actually not far off Duke campus, and I could get my hands on local resources.

Quote Originally Posted by plotinus View Post
    I was hoping to get a unique gift for a friend who has everything. We had the good fortune to go to Duke during the "Uncle Terry" era, and I thought, a unique and fun present would be a framed campaign poster from one of his (unsuccessful) presidential bids during the 70's.

I doubt I could get an original; I'd love it if I could find a high-resolution scan of one someplace, have a big glossy printed professionally, and frame it. However, no luck on this particular item. Nothing on eBay; googling gives me a vague hint there may be some in the historical archives section of the UNC library, and a bad scan of a campaign button. If it is at UNC (I'd be surprised if it wasn't at Duke, but I couldn't find any indication of it.) I don't know what the procedure would be; could I walk in with a laptop and a scanner and get the image?

Can anyone suggest where I might start looking? I'm in the Triangle, actually not far off Duke campus, and I could get my hands on local resources.
    I can't help, except to say that this must be a good friend if you're willing to risk UNC cooties.

Tom Drew, Duke '72, worked on Sanford's campaign. Tom's company is Phoenix Communications in Durham. You might drop him a note or send an email to see if he has any memorabilia or knows where to find it.

I know there are serious collectors of this kind of memorabilia. My guess is an internet search for political memoribilia collectors/groups would be a good start.

Have you gone to the Duke Library, and talked to any archivists? I'm sure someone would be thrilled to help you out.

Not a poster, but in the current issue of the Duke Magazine, there's a feature article on the new clothing line of recent grad, Rachel Weeks.

There's a photo of a "Terry Sanford for US Senate" shirt (bottom - second from right).

Link here:
    http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/duk...809/move2.html

School House

The School House line by Rachel Weeks is sold in the Duke Store and online at: http://epos7-phx.sequoiars.com/ePOS?...t.html&cat=358

However, I can't find the Sanford shirt online, but I have seen it in many of the different ads for the brand. Sidenotes: School House is awesome, cool clothes all made by people working for a living wage at her factory in Sri Lanka. Amazing that she accomplished so much in such a short period of time (Duke '07) - her line has been picked up by schools and down the East Coast.