Duke leads ACC in sports revenue?

The Orlando Sentinel believes so. Ranked 19th ahead of all ACC schools. Sorta hard to believe. Below is the link:
    http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-tell-you.html

It's probably due to the tuition waivers which apparently are included as a revenue stream

Wink Tuition waiver makes the survey virtually worthless

Duke and Virginia and GT ahead of Florida State. Yeah Sure..

Can someone explain how a tuition waiver should be considered revenue? Does the athletic department actually receive funds? I assume not and that it's more like an expense the department doesn't have to incur. Guess I don't really understand...

Quote Originally Posted by wva_iron_duke View Post
    The Orlando Sentinel believes so. Ranked 19th ahead of all ACC schools. Sorta hard to believe. Below is the link:
    http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-tell-you.html
    It's interesting to note the ACC is up there near the top at #3. From a comment posted to the Sentinel article:

According to that article, revenue by conference in decreasing order.

Southeastern Conference $853,790,632
    Big Ten $840,609,482
    Big 12 $797,769,024
    ACC $648,921,163
    Pac-10 $587,672,004
    Big East $364,427,638
    Conference USA $308,481,690
    Mountain West $276,800,202
    Mid-American Conference $259,970,993
    Western Ath. Conference $184,072,761
    Sun Belt Conference $110,459,084
    Independent $103,310,348

Posted by: GatorInChicago | July 28, 2009 at 03:09 PM
    Maybe we worry too much about the success of the ACC. We do pretty good, I think. Maybe this kind of revenue justifies more than a coupl of new rest rooms at Wallace Wade, and higher coaching staff salaries. Of course, I would like to know what the cost side of the ledger looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    It's probably due to the tuition waivers which apparently are included as a revenue stream
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    Can someone explain how a tuition waiver should be considered revenue? Does the athletic department actually receive funds? I assume not and that it's more like an expense the department doesn't have to incur. Guess I don't really understand...
    I have the same question, crim&blue. I think arnie was looking at the wrong side of the ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I have the same question, crim&blue. I think arnie was looking at the wrong side of the ledger.
    arnie got it straight from the article:

These revenues include generated revenue (such as proceeds from ticket sales and sponsorships) and allocated revenue (such as tuition waivers, money from student fees and direct institutional support.)

Of the $67 million, direct instituional support makes of the majority I would guess. The athletic department brings in around $20-25 million in cash donations on average...info available on Duke website. Beyond that, ticket sales and sponsorships can't be more than $10 million total. Duke doesn't do tuition waivers though I'm not exactly sure what that is. My assumption is it is the difference between in-state and out-of-state scholarships and not complete waivers for scholarships but I am not sure. Either way, Duke doesn't waive tuition and it doesn't have the in-out state issue.

Wink Here's a Guess

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    In some schools (but not Duke) athletes, especially out-of-state athletes, may not be charged tuition and fees by the university. This constitutes a subsidy, and I guess is counted as income. At Duke many if not most of the scholarships are endowed (someone else will have to guess at what %), and I suppose the income and capital disbursements from those endowments would count as revenue.

Then are donations from, say, the Iron Dukes, counted as income? I would guess they would have to be.

Looks like a curious list, although it is always nice to be #1 in something positive.

sagegrouse

Next time anybody wants to whine about expansion, take a look at that conference revenue list and tell me where the 8-football team Big East is.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by wva_iron_duke View Post
    Duke and Virginia and GT ahead of Florida State. Yeah Sure..
    Duke athletic revenue includes funds raised through the Iron Dukes for athletic scholarships which in turn are paid to the University. At Duke, the books do not reflect a waiver of tuition. The AD pays the University. This saves the University a lot of money on financial aid awards for the student athletes, most of whom would qualify for significant financial aid were we a d-3 school. So the cost of Duke tuition for the approx. 240 athletic scholarships ends up in the revenue figure. You then have tv revenue, conference revenue, gate receipts, student fees to use athletic facilities (?), and the annual subsidy of the athletic department is also included in the revenue number. This is about 8 million right now. Or does someone have a more up to date figure on the subsidy? In the athletic strategic plan the idea was to eventually get the subsidy up to $15 million in conjunction with offering a lot more athletic scholarships in non-rev. sports.

How much do you think Duke generates in athletic apparel and other such merchandise?

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    How much do you think Duke generates in athletic apparel and other such merchandise?
    Not sure the figures, but according to The Collegiate Licensing Company, Duke ranked 23rd in merchandise sales licensed by the CLC as of 2006. Duke ranked third among private schools, behind only Notre Dame and Miami. UT-Austin overtook UNC for the top spot.

Edit: Duke also ranked 23rd in 2007. http://newsok.com/article/3106854

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I spy a wiseguy.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I spy a wiseguy.
    Didn't mean to be a wiseguy, but if the cost of tuition for our athletes is figured into the revenue stream then that cost far exceeds that of public university tuition. I don't think we would rank at the top of the ACC without that "oddball" stream of revenue.