New in town (Lexington/Winston-Salem) and DBR

Hi everyone,

I have been viewing these boards for quite some time, but rarely post. Anyway, I just recently moved down to Lexington, NC from Vermont, and so far I love it down here. So, I was just curious if any of the NC natives could give me some pointers. I live near Winston-Salem, so I was wondering what are some good places to take my buddies to when they come visit? Also, are there any decent places to play some pick-up hoops around Lexington or Winston? Thank you, I appreciate any info you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by VTBaller03 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been viewing these boards for quite some time, but rarely post. Anyway, I just recently moved down to Lexington, NC from Vermont, and so far I love it down here. So, I was just curious if any of the NC natives could give me some pointers. I live near Winston-Salem, so I was wondering what are some good places to take my buddies to when they come visit? Also, are there any decent places to play some pick-up hoops around Lexington or Winston? Thank you, I appreciate any info you can provide.
    I live in the Winston-Salem area and would be happy to pass along some suggestions.

What types of places would you consider taking your friends to see? Restaurants? Historical sights/sites? College campuses? College game sites? Other?

Take them to any barbecue joint in town. And then tell them that this is why we know God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Thank you both for the responses. Blue Dress, I guess I am looking mostly for Bars/Restaurants. Mainly because my parents live down here as well, but the aren't really into the "bar scene." Also, would you happen to know of any places to play some basketball in the area? I went to the Hanes Mall the other day, and couldn't get over the size, it's about three times bigger than the largest on in VT.

In terms of BBQ, i've heard Lexington BBQ is good, which is near my house. Any other places I should try? Thank you or the suggestions.

Also, I can't wait to actually get to a Duke game now I live down here. I've been a fan since I was about 10, but VT is a little too far from CIS unfortunately.

Thank you both for the responses. Blue Dress, I guess I am looking mostly for Bars/Restaurants. Mainly because my parents live down here as well, but the aren't really into the "bar scene." Also, would you happen to know of any places to play some basketball in the area? I went to the Hanes Mall the other day, and couldn't get over the size, it's about three times bigger than the largest on in VT.

In terms of BBQ, i've heard Lexington BBQ is good, which is near my house. Any other places I should try? Thank you or the suggestions.

Also, I can't wait to actually get to a Duke game now I live down here. I've been a fan since I was about 10, but VT is a little too far from CIS unfortunately.
    Fourth Street Downtown WS has a variety of restaurants, many with outside dining when the weather permits. With Wake Forest, Salem WS State and the NC School of the Arts here many folks college age or a bit older seek out that area and the nearby Arts District. Since I left the bar scene behind some while ago, that's my best suggestion. You can find out the current local favs while you're circulating on Fourth Street. Greensboro also offers many clubs and restaurants.

The Y in Forsyth County has at least a couple of locations with basketball courts and some leagues which offer the opportunity to play a few hoops. You may find something through the Y in Davidson County where you now reside. http://www.lexingtonymca.com/sports.cfm

There have been many debates on this board about the best barbecue restaurants in this region. My personal favorite is Pig N Out on University Parkway north. For more information about barbecue and where to try it, here's a web site devoted to the best: http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html My favorite restaurant isn't on the historic BBQ trail perhaps because it hasn't been open long enough. You'll see that Lexington has a place listed and there are two others listed in WS. If you want to try out some of the places on the trail, Short Sugar's in Reidsville is marvelous as is Hursey's in Burlington and Stamey's in Greensboro (across from the Greensboro Coliseum Complex).

That's a start!

Welcome

Welcome to the area, VTBaller...

Devil in the Blue Dress (as usual) provides good information and advice.

A few more restaurant/bar suggestions:

Ombu Wood Fired Fusion---Hanes Mall Blvd; good food, upscale
    Firebirds---Hanes Mall Blvd (upscale bar and restaurant)
    Milner's---Stratford Rd W-S another very good upscale restaurant

Those two restaurants named first are both near Hanes Mall, which you've already located, and the third is not far from there.

Sports bar type places:
    Fox and Hound---Winston-Salem; a zillion TV's and very good for pro/college games
    Mossy's---Clemmons (which is a little west of W-S, but not too bad from where you are); new place, good food, good drink specials; nice neighborhood type sports-bar

Feel free to ask additional questions or contact me.

Thank you both BlueDress and RoyWhite, I look forward to trying these places. I moved down on 7/2, but haven't ventured out of town much, and I am definitely getting cabin fever, so these suggestions are very helpful.

I will certainly do some research about the Y and their bball leagues. I haven't played in a couple of months and I am getting withdrawls.

I'm definitely going to have to try out the Pig N Out as well, it sounds delicious. I actually went over to some friends of my parents recently, and they had made some BBQ, and it was awesome. I'll have to agree that NC BBQ is tops.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all of the information.

Thank you both BlueDress and RoyWhite, I look forward to trying these places. I moved down on 7/2, but haven't ventured out of town much, and I am definitely getting cabin fever, so these suggestions are very helpful.

I will certainly do some research about the Y and their bball leagues. I haven't played in a couple of months and I am getting withdrawls.

I'm definitely going to have to try out the Pig N Out as well, it sounds delicious. I actually went over to some friends of my parents recently, and they had made some BBQ, and it was awesome. I'll have to agree that NC BBQ is tops.

You may have tried Stamey's. If not, do so. Great Lexington BBQ and good general food. It is an old style NC family restaurant.

If I lived in Vermont, I would not move here. Not that I dislike NC at all, but I really enjoyed the VT and NH areas I visited 6 years ago. The winters would suck, but I could live there rather easily.

One additional note... don't know if you're a hot dog aficionado... Dairi-O on University Parkway in Winston-Salem has a great hot dog.. grilled can be topped with sweet chili, cold slaw, chopped white onions, etc. A combo of two hot dogs, fries and a beverage will set you back only about $5.60. Other great hot dog locations include Mayberry Ice Cream restaurants, especially the one on Miller St. in Winston-Salem, and the Yum Yum in Greensboro across from UNC-G. An added bonus is that all these places feature ice cream. The Yum Yum has won awards for the ice cream they make right there on site.... something they've been doing since at least the 1940s.

Speedy's BBQ in Lexington. Try the "Coarse" chopped sandwich.
    Back in the ancient days, I used to do a lot of running in the W-S/Forsyth Co recreation centers. There are many. Warning: linoleum floors.