Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad Beal

Brad Beal

Brad Beal is a 2011 basketball prospect and seems to be getting a lot of interest from the Duke coaching staff. Brad grew up as a Duke fan and seems to be excited about being recruited from Duke. The link below from rivals shows that he might visit Duke soon. You must be a member to read this link. I know a lot of people get all worked up about this but I'm still going to give the locked link.

http://duke.rivals.com/barrier_noent...tid=&mid=&rid=

Quote Originally Posted by Bsim412 View Post
    Brad Beal is a 2011 basketball prospect and seems to be getting a lot of interest from the Duke coaching staff. Brad grew up as a Duke fan and seems to be excited about being recruited from Duke. The link below from rivals shows that he might visit Duke soon. You must be a member to read this link. I know a lot of people get all worked up about this but I'm still going to give the locked link.

http://duke.rivals.com/barrier_noent...tid=&mid=&rid=
    He is a STL kid. So my brother who lives there says he is quite a stud basketball player for Chaminade. Brad had an older brother Brandon who also played for STL Eagles AAU team a couple years ago. He went football route at Northern Illinois if I recall.

I thought Brad Beal was confirmed for Elite camp. So visit may be after that on Aug 22-23.

I do not have access to the premium to read what it says other than the teaser.

I think there may already be a Beal thread.

It sounds like he's really moving up the rankings this summer... that's good news. He's not a PG, which is what we really need; he's more of a SG or combo guard. In 2011 - 2012, we should have Curry (RS junior combo), Andre Dawkins (either junior or sophomore SG), Tyler Thornton (sophomore combo/PG), and hopefully another sophomore PG. That's a lot of 6'1" - 6'4" guys and we don't have anyone between 6'5" and 6'10" except a senior Olek Czyz (yet... hopefully). Given that, 3-4 guards plus Beal wouldn't be too many guys, so there would be room. If he's as good as his rankings, he would probably get some minutes his freshman year.

Beal Highlights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy-d0PJ4C7o

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    It sounds like he's really moving up the rankings this summer... that's good news. He's not a PG, which is what we really need; he's more of a SG or combo guard. In 2011 - 2012, we should have Curry (RS junior combo), Andre Dawkins (either junior or sophomore SG), Tyler Thornton (sophomore combo/PG), and hopefully another sophomore PG. That's a lot of 6'1" - 6'4" guys and we don't have anyone between 6'5" and 6'10" except a senior Olek Czyz (yet... hopefully). Given that, 3-4 guards plus Beal wouldn't be too many guys, so there would be room. If he's as good as his rankings, he would probably get some minutes his freshman year.

Beal Highlights

What about Josh Hairston?

"What about Josh Hairston? "

And Ryan Kelly?

A moot point, I suspect. You can knock me over with a feather if Duke doesn't add to its 6'5"-6'10" contingent in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    What about Josh Hairston?
    Yeah, I realized after I posted that I forgot about him. He fits in between 6'5" and 6'10", but he's still more of a typical power forward. As far as I can tell, he's basically going to play the same position and has the same game as Lance Thomas. I was thinking more about the "3" position on offense. It would be nice to get a highly-touted tall SF/wing type player...

Ryan Kelly is listed at 6'10" and is definitely not capable of defending SF at this point.

Wrong Thread

Beal Highlights
    I can think of one prospect we could get in 2010, fits into your category, gaurds the SF position, and ....I will shut up now
    Last edited by Duke of Nashville; 07-29-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Clarity

Just so we are clear, Brad Beal is one of the top 5 or so players in the 2011 class. Worrying about where he fits on our roster is not all that much of a concern in my book. Kids like that find a way to fit

--Jason "how does a class of Beal, Rivers, and McAdoo sound? Pipe dream but WOW!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yeah, I realized after I posted that I forgot about him. He fits in between 6'5" and 6'10", but he's still more of a typical power forward. As far as I can tell, he's basically going to play the same position and has the same game as Lance Thomas. I was thinking more about the "3" position on offense. It would be nice to get a highly-touted tall SF/wing type player...

Ryan Kelly is listed at 6'10" and is definitely not capable of defending SF at this point.
    I would say that most teams are more likely to have an interchangeable shooting guard/small forwards of similar size in th 6'4''-6'6'' range. I personally wouldn't mind trotting out a lineup with Curry, Dawkins, Thornton/Beal, Kelly, Plumlee assuming that all of these players develop as we expect they will.

But as Jim already said, I think it's far too early to worry about rosters for 2011 since we haven't accepted any commitments yet and we're not even close to finished with 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just so we are clear, Brad Beal is one of the top 5 or so players in the 2011 class. Worrying about where he fits on our roster is not all that much of a concern in my book. Kids like that find a way to fit

--Jason "how does a class of Beal, Rivers, and McAdoo sound? Pipe dream but WOW!" Evans
    Don't forget Quincy Miller...

Recruit talk like this gets me so excited. Then a John Wall or a Greg Monroe happen.

I would love to get Brad Beal. He sounds great and, like I said before, I'm sure he would fit in with the team. He looks like he has a very fluid game. I am familiar with his school (Chaminade in St. Louis)... it's a very good all-boys school.

Well Harrison Barnes hasn't committed anywhere yet so I would wait for him to decide before I got too worried.

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    Well Harrison Barnes hasn't committed anywhere yet so I would wait for him to decide before I got too worried.
    Yes, that is who I was referring to.

Brad Beal was a part of the USA Basketball U16 team that recently won gold in Argentina. He had a game-high 26 points in the championship final.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...9_mu16_game_05

He also averaged 19.0 pts/game for the whole tournament to lead the US squad. Awesome.

wrong thread, i'm sure, but . . .

Why to people insist on saying that Tyler Thornton is a combo guard? What about his description or style of play indicates that? Every single thing I have read about him describes him as a quintessential point guard. Right down the the lack of willingness to shoot. He's 6'1". His main job on his high school and AAU team is to take care of the ball and get it to his scorers. How does that describe a combo guard.

Anyway, this kid sounds great. Its been said many times now, but our new recruiting strategy is very exciting. It seems like we are already major players with at least 10 of the top 30 or so players in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Why to people insist on saying that Tyler Thornton is a combo guard? What about his description or style of play indicates that? Every single thing I have read about him describes him as a quintessential point guard. Right down the the lack of willingness to shoot. He's 6'1". His main job on his high school and AAU team is to take care of the ball and get it to his scorers. How does that describe a combo guard.
    He plays off the ball on his AAU team. He isn't a true point guard in this way, but has a lot of the responsibilities of a PG. I use the term "combo guard" to refer to someone that plays or can play the equivalent of PG off the ball. It doesn't mean that he can't play on the ball, but if his AAU team doesn't use him on the ball, I don't know if Duke will. I envision him kind of like Sean Dockery.

The more I read about Beal, it seems like he's more of a true SG, but apparently he has some solid passing and ball-handling skills at this time.

Josh Hairston, Lance Thomas comparison

I think Josh may compare to Lance athletically and body wise. Neither are elite athletes of the Henderson variety but are good athletes playing above the rim. I think the comparison stops there. Lance was never a great scorer even on all -star teams. He has always seemed content to be a role player. Hopefully he will become more assertive for his grand finale senior year. I think Josh has a little bit or if we are lucky a lot a bit of Mark Alarie in him. He has wonderful midrange game. I like his quick -no frills- moves in the post. I like his ability to find seams in the lane and knock down the shot. He may not rate all the upside stuff to be a top 10 prospect but at the end of the day he gets it done.
    Last edited by hengr; 08-02-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Good news on the Beal front:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/08/b...-race-to-stay/

In short, Brad Beal knows that Duke is very interested in him as evidenced by Coach K watching him play during the Peach Jam, calling him the following week. Beal and the Devils are in a getting to know one another process that will carry over. The St. Louis guard prospect grew up following JJ Redick and Duke, but many felt he was a huge Florida lean of late.

Exclamation Brad Beal: Arguably the best SG for 2011

Brad Beal is one of the top SG for 2011 and check it out he has Duke in his list of schools (in no specific order)<- Looking good for Duke

http://boxofmess.com/?p=3658
    Last edited by -jk; 09-03-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: unbolding