Page 7 of 156 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Yeah, I must have just missed that part where it said EB was talking to "young" Rivers after the game. The previous reports said he had talked to Doc, not Austin. Maybe this article just got the facts wrong on that one? Isn't Austin in Florida right now anyway? I don't know...
    Yeah, I don't know either. I assume whatever's going on is all right or they wouldn't do it, but I was curious as to how it works in this sort of situation.

does the factor of getting or not getting barnes play into rivers decision at all?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    does the factor of getting or not getting barnes play into rivers decision at all?
    according to Rivers it does. But it was mainly focused on KI but i would assume it meant HB as well. I can't find the article but it was posted on here.

Prior relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Yeah, I don't know either. I assume whatever's going on is all right or they wouldn't do it, but I was curious as to how it works in this sort of situation.
    I wonder if having a prior relationship, before all the recruiting takes place would be some kind of exemption. If Grant and Doc have been friends since Grant was in Orlando, then it would make sense for him to keep that contact and be at Austin's AAU games as a friend of the family, regardless of which college he attended. That the school is now recruiting him (ok, not technically) does make things a bit murkier as you have brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    HAHAHA yea sometimes people take things wayyyy toooo literal on here. But to keep it all AR, i wonder what would happen if and hopefully when HB commits. He did say it depends on where people go, so with KI and HB does that automatically mean we get AR?
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    Depending on how long Austin is willing to wiat to decide, UF getting Brandon Knight could pul in the oppoite direction, depending on if he believes Knight is one and done or not.

Knight is also a very good student but many feel Knight is one and done and Barnes may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Depending on how long Austin is willing to wiat to decide, UF getting Brandon Knight could pul in the oppoite direction, depending on if he believes Knight is one and done or not.

Knight is also a very good student but many feel Knight is one and done and Barnes may not be.
    I've heard that Knight is a great student. I've also heard his front runners are Kentucky and UConn, schools not so well known for their academics. Seems a little strange to me... (btw, I'm not at all upset that Knight isn't considering us as we won the Kyrie sweepstakes, but I am a little shocked by his school selection)

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    according to Rivers it does. But it was mainly focused on KI but i would assume it meant HB as well. I can't find the article but it was posted on here.
    Right. Rivers said the question whom he would be playing with would weigh heavily on his decision, and he and KI agreed that it'd be great to play together. I agree that an HB commitment to Duke would be a plus for us with Austin Rivers.

KI at the point, AR as the SB, and HB on the wing? Scary.

But remember that HB is projected as the No.1 NBA pick following his freshman year, so he and AR may never play college ball at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Right. Rivers said the question whom he would be playing with would weigh heavily on his decision, and he and KI agreed that it'd be great to play together. I agree that an HB commitment to Duke would be a plus for us with Austin Rivers.

KI at the point, AR as the SB, and HB on the wing? Scary.

But remember that HB is projected as the No.1 NBA pick following his freshman year, so he and AR may never play college ball at the same time.
    I think winning a title is very important to Barnes, and this is just my opinion, but I don't see him leaving before his Junior Year unless he's won one.

If we get him, I hope you're right. It's an expensive gamble for a lottery pick to stay in school. You can be a blown knee away from never being that NBA star that could set you up for life (and launch a successful business career).

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I think winning a title is very important to Barnes, and this is just my opinion, but I don't see him leaving before his Junior Year unless he's won one.
    well if he goes to UNC i pray he is a one and done.

BUT

if he comes to duke, then i pray that he stays till he at least gets a title!

wishful thinking i know

I guess for purposes of this thread, if HB comes to Duke, it has to help with Austin Rivers, whether HB is one-and-done or not, championship or not.

If HB stays, Austin Rivers gets to play with him, which could make them both scary good (like either needs the help).

If HB leaves after one year, AR could be playing on a team that was scary good the year before and, therefore, on TV a LOT more than Florida. If HB led Duke to an NCAA title (or anything close), that would mean all the more attention for AR his freshman year.

Kids love to be on TV, and HB will be a TV magnet. If he brings big success to a team as a freshman, then leaves, the team will still be televised a lot the following year.

I guess for purposes of this thread, if HB comes to Duke, it has to help with Austin Rivers, whether HB is one-and-done or not, championship or not.

If HB stays, Austin Rivers gets to play with him, which could make them both scary good (like either needs the help).

If HB leaves after one year, AR could be playing on a team that was scary good the year before and, therefore, on TV a LOT more than Florida. If HB led Duke to an NCAA title (or anything close), that would mean all the more attention for AR his freshman year.

Kids love to be on TV, and HB will be a TV magnet. If he brings big success to a team as a freshman, then leaves, the team will still be televised a lot the following year.
    Duke's going to be on tv a lot whether or not we land Harrison Barnes. We're on National TV more than any other Sports Team (Pro or Collegiate) not in the MLB.

That's not counting the tourney games either.

Rivers knows where his best chance of exposure is, and who the best coach is to coach up his weaknesses, mainly defense. That place is Duke, which is why his Dad is talking to a bunch of ex-Dukies in the NBA. I haven't heard any articles where he was talking to Joakim Noah or Mike Miller, has anyone else?

... If HB leaves after one year, AR could be playing on a team that was scary good the year before and, therefore, on TV a LOT more than Florida. If HB led Duke to an NCAA title (or anything close), that would mean all the more attention for AR his freshman year.

Duke will be on TV MORE if HB comes?

Does that mean the entire Blue-White game will be on ESPNU?

Harrison will hopefully get us one or two more wins on national TV. In Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Duke will be on TV MORE if HB comes?
    Yeah, cool! I would love an entire channel devoted to Duke. All Duke, all the time!
    Just think how people would react!

I wonder if Coach K being the Olympic team coach hurts our chances of being on tv. Just kidding...

Austin would seem like the most obvious recruit to be drawn to Duke because of K's Olympic work. Doc Rivers would know of the Olympic team's accounts either second hand or first hand from the team members he knows well enough to chat about it.

A question - how would Irving, Dawkins, Curry and Rivers play alongside each other? Dawkins seems to be a true 2 who could play the 3 in a three-guard lineup. Curry and Rivers both seem to be combo guards and could play either 1 or 2. But Irving would appear to have the 1 locked up.

That's a TON of backcourt talent!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yeah, cool! I would love an entire channel devoted to Duke. All Duke, all the time!
    Just think how people would react!
    Isn't that essentially what NBC is to Notre Dame football?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I've heard that Knight is a great student. I've also heard his front runners are Kentucky and UConn, schools not so well known for their academics. Seems a little strange to me... (btw, I'm not at all upset that Knight isn't considering us as we won the Kyrie sweepstakes, but I am a little shocked by his school selection)
    Brandon Knight like Harrison Barnes plays his recruiting favorites close to the vest. I would no count out Miami or UF due to those being in his home state, former AAU teammate of Kenny Boynton etc.

Knight and now Beal seem content to wait until after the November signing period is over, CJ Leslie too.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I wonder if Coach K being the Olympic team coach hurts our chances of being on tv. Just kidding...

Austin would seem like the most obvious recruit to be drawn to Duke because of K's Olympic work. Doc Rivers would know of the Olympic team's accounts either second hand or first hand from the team members he knows well enough to chat about it.

A question - how would Irving, Dawkins, Curry and Rivers play alongside each other? Dawkins seems to be a true 2 who could play the 3 in a three-guard lineup. Curry and Rivers both seem to be combo guards and could play either 1 or 2. But Irving would appear to have the 1 locked up.

That's a TON of backcourt talent!

Yeah, I am sure we would be seeing lots of 3 guard lineups with Harrison playing the 4 and Miles/Mason holding down the fort down low.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Yeah, I am sure we would be seeing lots of 3 guard lineups with Harrison playing the 4 and Miles/Mason holding down the fort down low.
    If Kyle Singler stays his senior year to be the favorite to earn a NC ring and if Barnes does choose Duke, that lineup would be:

Miles/Mason at C/Hairston

Singler at WF/Kelly/Hairston

Barnes at WF/Dawkins/Olek

Nolan at SG/Curry/Dawkins

Irving at PG/Thornton/Curry

with flexibility and backup galore.

including going very big with Irving-Barnes-Singler-Miles-Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Duke's going to be on tv a lot whether or not we land Harrison Barnes. We're on National TV more than any other Sports Team (Pro or Collegiate) not in the MLB.

That's not counting the tourney games either.
    Not all TV is alike. Duke is on a lot, but a lot of Duke games are on regional coverage or relegated to lesser cable/DTV stations. We Duke fans on the left coast, especially those of us without ESPN17 or access to FoxSportsPiedmont, hunger for more. CBS has wider coverage than ESPNU, for example.

And even then, just because Duke is on a lot today, that doesn't mean Duke will be on a lot in 2011. Gotta keep the TV gods fed with new guys that people all over the country want to see play -- like HB.