Page 36 of 156 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
    am i wrong but doesnt duke usually run a 3 guard lineup? other than deng in 04 and singler more recently, who has been a true three to come through duke in the last couple of years? seems like k will play the best 5 regardless and get the players who deserve to play the mins they've earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    Honestly if Kyrie, Seth, and Andre stay I don't really see Austin starting.
    I mean a third year Andre and Seth who is like a fourth year player by then, and a second year Kyrie would be more ready to start then a freshman Austin right?

...heavy sigh...

Cool

Goin' rogue here: If Austin shows up, how about 4 out-1 in, like this -- KI, AR, SC, DD, and, what the heck, RK. Bring in the MPs from the bench.

Killer.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I agree with that. Just because he's the man in high school does not mean he's the man to start on your college team that is already loaded with talent that is more experienced at this level. Might he start? Sure...but it won't surprise me or bother me if he doesn't.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'll pray every night that we land this kid!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I agree with that. Just because he's the man in high school does not mean he's the man to start on your college team that is already loaded with talent that is more experienced at this level. Might he start? Sure...but it won't surprise me or bother me if he doesn't.
    Think about how good Dawkins might be as a junior - Nelson or Ewing (as juniors) good? Now think about how good Deng and Jason Williams were as freshmen. Who starts?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Think about how good Dawkins might be as a junior - Nelson or Ewing (as juniors) good? Now think about how good Deng and Jason Williams were as freshmen. Who starts?
    You start the best 5 that gives you the best chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Goin' rogue here: If Austin shows up, how about 4 out-1 in, like this -- KI, AR, SC, DD, and, what the heck, RK. Bring in the MPs from the bench.

Killer.
    Do you know how to type names?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You are completely wrong. Several of us have said so.

Although you are free to express your opinion, I, for one, find it aggravating that you repeat such ill founded opinions when they are negative toward our recruiting. The snotty swipe about Wall was certainly not appreciated.

Austin will play, and even start, from day one.
    Wow that was harsh. I am actually quite stunned. Ok.

I wasn't making a swipe at Wall, it was well known that K said he wanted to use Wall in a similar way that he used JWill. My point about Wall was just to show a recent occasion where K has described to recruits how they fit in the system so that they can fully assess their potential role in the system, thats it, nothing more. I wasn't trying to be snotty, sorry if it came off that way.

And how am I being negative to our recruiting? Do you think Austin will look on this forum and decide not to come to Duke because of what I said? I'm not here to make enemies I just had some thoughts. Clearly you don't agree with them. If you don't like what I say just block me. I am not doing anything wrong by posting on here.

PS- Look at what Welcome2daslopes and Cameronbornandbred have said. I think its time for you to tell 'em something.
    Last edited by DevilHorns; 04-09-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    PS- Look at what Welcome2daslopes and Cameronbornandbred have said. I think its time for you to tell 'em something.
    NOOOOOOOOO I'm very insecure But hey if you don't agree with my opinion that's cool with me.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Different teams, different scenarios. Has nothing to do with what we look like when Rivers sees his first blue-white game.(If he sees one from the court)
    Also, look at the supporting casts. When Rivers comes, he will be in a sea of stars if they stay.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Hey all,

I think the general feeling out there is that Austin is a real special talent... a top level, elite, NBA star type guy. Now, we might have a FEW very successful future NBA guys on the roster next year (Kyrie for sure, Nolan and Seth almost definitely, maybe Andre too) but I think many folks peg Austin as an immediate starter, instant impact type of guy. I think it is important to note, in this respect, that usually top five high school guys are usually of a whole different caliber than, say, guys who rank in the 20s.

I could be wrong, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey all,

I think the general feeling out there is that Austin is a real special talent... a top level, elite, NBA star type guy. Now, we might have a FEW very successful future NBA guys on the roster next year (Kyrie for sure, Nolan and Seth almost definitely, maybe Andre too) but I think many folks peg Austin as an immediate starter, instant impact type of guy. I think it is important to note, in this respect, that usually top five high school guys are usually of a whole different caliber than, say, guys who rank in the 20s.

I could be wrong, of course!
    Yeah, generally the consensus top 5 guys are instant starters and impact players.

Ooops, sorry about that, John Henson.

http://www.rscihoops.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Do you know how to type names?
    I do, but I find that saving time with fewer keystrokes means more time for dodging friendly fire.

To be slightly more serious [which is not my preference], IIRC [= if I recall correctly], this is the second time you have chastised me for initial-izing. This practice clearly irritates you, just as friendly fire irritates me. So, although I think this is silly, maybe it's best that you simply ignore any of my future posts. They're certainly not worth the heartburn they so clearly give you; and I've rarely, maybe never, said things on this board that others haven't said with more insight.

Not to mention more keystrokes.

P.S. - If we meet in Devil Heaven someday, I bet we'll share a good laugh over this.

haven't seen anyone on here address the very real possibility that irving stays only 1 year (based on talent alone, he could certainly leave), opening up another 40 minutes for all our guards. think that's key here. if kyrie stays 2+ years, our 1, 2, and 3 spots are VERY crowded with rivers (and not forgetting gbinijie).

Zoubs said something very important in an interview I read during the tourney. He mentioned the fact that he and Lance were able to play to exhaustion b/c of the Plumlees and vice versa.

We are probably set to see much more pressing which leads to fast breaks which equates to a ton of running. Instead of a great defensive team like this year we could have something like a DOMINANT defense - with just a couple more pieces (Haynes, Adams, Miller, and Rivers - and we stand to get at least one of those guys). It could be just sick and we already have the personnel to launch a pretty healthy attack. It's no telling what else comes out of the woodwork as well.

Keep this is mind as you think about minutes shared. There could be a lot of 20-25 minute games for a lot of folks - especially since it's quite well known that the pace will be sped up next year and that we will be equipped to do so for the next few years...

So not only could Austin run, gun, and have a lot of fun, he will be able to showcase his skills for the NBA, play for National Championships, and be part of something bigger than himself.

B/c sometimes I think that we leave actual game scenarios out of these discussions, think about this:

The team is pressing, Dawkins gets a steal then dunks, back to the press, opponent brings it up court and runs half-court set in which Dawkins has to fight through THREE picks. Opponent throws up desperation three at the end of the shot clock and Duke dashes down the court with Austin passing to Kyrie who touch passes it Dawkins for the Alley-oop. After the Alley-oop, Dawkins raises his arm and at the TV time-out in comes Seth. Make sense yet...?

It's NEVER about the minutes - it's what you do with them...

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    haven't seen anyone on here address the very real possibility that irving stays only 1 year (based on talent alone, he could certainly leave), opening up another 40 minutes for all our guards. think that's key here. if kyrie stays 2+ years, our 1, 2, and 3 spots are VERY crowded with rivers (and not forgetting gbinijie).
    I think people haven't really discussed it too much because Rivers will most likely make his decision before he knows whether or not Kyrie will be at Duke for two years. The only knock about Kyrie and his NBA prospects is his strength and the size of his frame. He's still small by NBA standards. Chris Paul, even with his immense talent (and punching ability), stayed for two years. Crittendon, Evans (if you consider him a point guard), Rose, now Wall, and many of the other point guards who were picked at the top of the draft already had NBA ready bodies. So if Irving's decision makes any difference to Rivers, Rivers must assume that there is a good chance Irving comes back for one more year, even if he blows up next year. Scouts may simply want him to put on some more pounds before playing in the league.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/04/a...team-takeover/ Austin leads his team to an upset win

UNC media swarming Rivers? Uh-oh! Good to hear Gbinije had a good game too.