Page 13 of 156 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ft. Lauderdale campus, Class of 1972. That was the only campus at that time, although not the original campus, which was downtown. Went there for junior and senior years. Played football and baseball.
    Yes, but there was still "no defense for Larry Rentz" from Coral Gables. (But then, that was 8 years before Ozzie graduated Pine Crest.

ricks

Gables '64

Quote Originally Posted by BattierD12 View Post
    A tiny bit of info in a recent article on the Orlando Magic.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton_notes_020710.html

Rivers plans on being in Orlando during the all-star break to spend time with his family, and naturally take in more basketball game. He said his two sons, Austin and Spencer, play four games in three days during the break. … Austin, a senior guard at Winter Park High School, is one of the nation’s most sought-after recruits. He backed out of his verbal commitment and is being recruited heavily by Duke University. Grant Hill, who played for Rivers in Orlando and is one of Duke’s most famous former players, has been in contact with Austin about potentially playing at Duke.

I'm reaalllllly liking our chances.
    Hmm..don't know how factual those statements are. Haven't heard from anywhere that he backed out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Hmm..don't know how factual those statements are. Haven't heard from anywhere that he backed out of it.
    Plus, it's unlikely that Grant has been in contact with Austin since he's an alum who would be barred by rule from such contact. Grant, OTOH, has no doubt discussed it with Doc, who has probably relayed to Austin what Grant has said.

I also suppose it is possible that Grant has had social/business reasons to be in the Rivers home. I think the rules would still apply, so Austin could have listened in on any conversation Grant and Doc might have had.

No matter what, there is an area where Grant is not allowed to go. And I'm sure he has not. So I suspect the article is in error in that way, as well.

It might be interesting if someone were to ask the author if he had verified the facts with someone who actually knows them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Plus, it's unlikely that Grant has been in contact with Austin since he's an alum who would be barred by rule from such contact. Grant, OTOH, has no doubt discussed it with Doc, who has probably relayed to Austin what Grant has said.

I also suppose it is possible that Grant has had social/business reasons to be in the Rivers home. I think the rules would still apply, so Austin could have listened in on any conversation Grant and Doc might have had.

No matter what, there is an area where Grant is not allowed to go. And I'm sure he has not. So I suspect the article is in error in that way, as well.

It might be interesting if someone were to ask the author if he had verified the facts with someone who actually knows them.
    Where did you get the notion that Austin Rivers is barred from contacting Duke alumni?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Hmm..don't know how factual those statements are.
    For starters, Austin Rivers is not a senior guard. Austin is Class of 2011 and currently a junior.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    Where did you get the notion that Austin Rivers is barred from contacting Duke alumni?
    My notion is based on the other way around. And even if Austin is making the contact, given the high possibility of a misunderstanding, Grant would be well advised to avoid it if he can.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    An addendum, this is a rules reminder from an NCAA Div. 1 university's website concerning alums being in contact with a prospect. I have redacted this particular school's name, but it applies to all, including Duke and including our pro basketball alums.

Guide to NCAA Rules for Alumni & Friends
    Representative of Athletics Interests:
    Under NCAA rules a "representative of the institution's athletic interests" (athletics representative/booster) is any individual who has ever:
    1. Made any type of contribution to the Department of Athletics and Recreational Sports or booster club;
    2. Joined [the university’s] booster club;
    3. Provided benefits (e.g., summer jobs) to prospective or enrolled student athletes or their families;
    4. Assisted, in any manner, in their recruitment of prospective student athletes; or
    5. Promoted the athletics program in any manner.

Please make special note of three important points:
    1. You become a representative by any action on your part to assist the Department of Athletics and Recreational Sports in any manner.
    2. Once you become a representative of the institution's athletics interests, you retain that identity forever.
    3. NCAA rules hold the institution responsible for all actions of its athletics representatives. Boosters involved in NCAA violations may lose benefits and privileges associated with the athletic program.

RECRUITING:
    As a representative of [this university’s] athletics interests, you may:
    1. View a prospect's athletics event (but not contact the prospect, his/her parents, legal guardians or coaches on such occasions);
    2. Talk to a prospect on the telephone if he/she calls you, as long as you do not talk about the athletics program;
    3. Talk to a prospect about summer employment, subsequent to completion of their senior year of high school, after he/she has signed a national letter of intent (In all instances, please contact the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance before contacting the prospect.); or
    4. Recommend a prospect to the appropriate [the University’s] coach.

As a representative of [University’s] athletics interests, you may not provide a prospect with improper recruiting inducements, including but not limited to:

1. Contact a prospect's coach, principal or counselor in an effort to evaluate a prospect;
    2. Visit a prospect's educational institution to pick up film or transcripts pertaining to the evaluation of the prospect's academic eligibility or athletic ability;
    3. Contact a prospect, his/her relatives, or legal guardians, by telephone;
    4. Write a prospect, his/her relatives or legal guardians; or
    5. Make special arrangements for entertaining a prospect on an official visit (e.g., By providing donations, goods, services or discounts).
    So even if Austin called Grant, Grant can't talk about the athletics program.
    Last edited by Jim3k; 02-09-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: add graf entries

So even if Austin called Grant, Grant can't talk about the athletics program.
    If he has the time, one would think that the staff would feel completely comfortable with Grant Hill abiding by the rules and talking to Rivers about what it was like for him to go to school at Duke-the social life, the classes, the area, etc.

My notion is based on the other way around. And even if Austin is making the contact, given the high possibility of a misunderstanding, Grant would be well advised to avoid it if he can.
    Ehhhh... while I'm also not sold on the author's fact-checking, I'm not sure I agree with that general advice. I mean, H*****n B****s described in no uncertain words how heavily Vince Carter recruited him on his OV, and all that came of that was a) not so much as a raised eyebrow from the NCAA, and b) a commitment to UNC-CH.

IMHO, this is the kind of "gray area" that is perfectly acceptable (as opposed to perks for handlers, relatives, etc.). If the biggest blemish on Duke's program is a kid calling up Grant Hill, who happens to be one of the classiest basketball players on the planet, I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Ehhhh... while I'm also not sold on the author's fact-checking, I'm not sure I agree with that general advice. I mean, H*****n B****s described in no uncertain words how heavily Vince Carter recruited him on his OV, and all that came of that was a) not so much as a raised eyebrow from the NCAA, and b) a commitment to UNC-CH.

IMHO, this is the kind of "gray area" that is perfectly acceptable (as opposed to perks for handlers, relatives, etc.). If the biggest blemish on Duke's program is a kid calling up Grant Hill, who happens to be one of the classiest basketball players on the planet, I'm okay with that.
    Official visits are quite different. they are on campus and fall within certain specified rules. Grant can do that. And many have: Laettner has even worked with big men prospects in our basketball facility.

Yours is an apples v. oranges comparison.

I believe that during certain times, contact with a recruit is forbidden by anyone, in fact I am sure that is the case, I just do not know when those times are. I would think that when recruiting is allowed, then any representative of the university (NBA alumni, asst coaches, etc...) could make contact. My understanding is that it is about when the contact takes place.

For example, if Austin wanted to talk to Grant about Duke during a blackout period, Grant would be wise to tell him that he cannot, but when the blackout is over, Grant could tell him that he would be glad to sit down and discuss why Duke is the best place for him...

Actually, to add some more fuel to the rumor fire. I am from Delaware and I was actually watching the lowly Sixers play the Boston Celtics. And actually during that game the local announcer spoke of how Elton Brand had been getting heckled in the locker room a little about speaking to Doc Rivers before the game and when asked what the topic of conversation was, Brand responded that Doc had a few questions of how Elton felt about his time at Duke. The announcer then spoke a few words about Austin and how he is pretty good and then continued on with the color commentary.

I wasn't sure what to think of that other than the fact that Rivers is definitely interested and the fact that he's asking NBA stars about their Duke experience can only bid well for the Devils

As I understand it, there's an exception for recruits talking to alumni when there's a pre-existing relationship.

If Grant were a longstanding friend of the Rivers family, he would be allowed to talk with Austin as much as he liked.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    As I understand it, there's an exception for recruits talking to alumni when there's a pre-existing relationship.

If Grant were a longstanding friend of the Rivers family, he would be allowed to talk with Austin as much as he liked.

-jk
    Exactly, and Doc and Grant have known each other since Austin was probably 7 or 8 years old, so that's an easy end-around.

Official visits are quite different. they are on campus and fall within certain specified rules. Grant can do that. And many have: Laettner has even worked with big men prospects in our basketball facility.

Yours is an apples v. oranges comparison.
    My bad then... I was under the impression that NBA alumni were not allowed to actively recruit prospects, even on OVs. I just remember folks were up in arms when the HB-VC comments came out, and the consensus seemed to be that it was not technically legal. I'll readily confess to being over my head when it comes to NCAA regulations though, so I'll take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    My bad then... I was under the impression that NBA alumni were not allowed to actively recruit prospects, even on OVs. I just remember folks were up in arms when the HB-VC comments came out, and the consensus seemed to be that it was not technically legal. I'll readily confess to being over my head when it comes to NCAA regulations though, so I'll take your word for it.
    Again, as I understand it, a prior, long-standing relationship trumps. I can't believe Grant would do something that could get Duke in trouble.

-jk

Austin's Duke-UNC Prediction

Gotta like this quote from Austin!!!

AUSTIN RIVERS, Winter Park (Fla.) 2011, PG/SG, being recruited by Duke: “Duke! Just because they’re my team and they play harder! They just want it every game and they have better guards. I say it will be 76-65, Duke.”

From - http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recrui...-the-big-game/

In reading the article, it seems like Harrison "Benedict Arnold" Barnes will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by enick66 View Post
    Gotta like this quote from Austin!!!

AUSTIN RIVERS, Winter Park (Fla.) 2011, PG/SG, being recruited by Duke: “Duke! Just because they’re my team and they play harder! They just want it every game and they have better guards. I say it will be 76-65, Duke.”

From - http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recrui...-the-big-game/

In reading the article, it seems like Harrison "Benedict Arnold" Barnes will be there.

Definitely like that! Kind of funny how he was the only one that was quoted who wasn't committed to Duke or UNC. Sign of a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Definitely like that! Kind of funny how he was the only one that was quoted who wasn't committed to Duke or UNC. Sign of a good thing?
    Lets not read into this. The best reminder to not do so is Harrison Barnes, who will get some tv-time tonight as he sees his first true roy meltdown in person.