Page 12 of 156 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Winter Park/Pine Crest

They are playing on ESPN or CSN. I just watched a part of their game and was impressed by both Brandon Knight and Austin Rivers. Knight is a strong 6'4" guard who has immense ability to get to the basket and also to hit on mid range shots. Rivers is also exceptional, both at getting to the basket and also hitting step back 3's. I think Rivers would fit into Dukes team as a shooting guard who could also run the point part of the time. Just maybe he will decide to choose Duke. My understanding is that he is backing away from his early commitment to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I went to Pine Crest Elementary in Coral Gables for 2nd-6th

Then my parents decided something about Philadelphia was more appealing than Miami...to this day neither they nor I know what that "something" was
    Don't knock Philly - it's where the shot happened.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Austin looked good

Watched good part of Winter Haven vs Pine Crest; Winter Haven won by 10 or 11 points (87-76?) and both Rivers and Knight looked outstanding.

Knight did not have much of a supporting cast, so he took 35 shots (in 32 minutes) and ended up with 48 points (15-35 FG and 15-15 FT). He's physically strong, drives well and gets to the free throw line, makes some excellent passes and competes hard. Slight drawback---doesn't finish his drives well, and could shoot better.

Rivers ended up with 41 points on 14-24 FG (including several 3-pt shots). He has excellent quickness and speed, and can really blow by defenders, including Knight who simply could not stop him. Rivers has excellent shooting range and finishes very well on drives with a variety of moves around the hoop. He is also a scorer as well as a shooter; can grab a rebound or loose ball and score.

Very impressive performance by Rivers.

I wasn't too impressed with Knight other than his free throw shooting and first step. Every time that little guy from Winter Park would knock down a three, Knight would rush back and take a rushed three pointer. He usually missed badly and allowed a long rebound and fast break opportunity for WP.

He got to the line a lot, but that was mostly due to Winter Park getting lots of bad fouls in the 3rd quarter, which put Pine Crest in the double bonus very early on. He got to the line on touch fouls, but he really knocked down his free throws very nicely.

Rivers had great body control, avoiding some possible charges on some great drives. He isn't as muscular as Knight, but I think he will be the better player down the road. Hopefully it will be for Duke rather than Florida.

Watched the game and Rivers was great. He stared the game a little shaky and looked like he was going to try and trade buckets with Knight. After missing a couple threes he started involving his teammates more and let the game come to him. Once he settled down he chose his spots and attacked the weak points in the defense, and when he need to take over he did. This guy is well worth his rating and looks on par with Kyrie Irving.

Knight

I feel that Knight is more of a 2 guard than an actual point guard. He is a great player that can fill it up. However, I really don't believe he really put his teammates in positions to score. Im not sure if it is lack of skill or confidence in his teammates. He will be a stud in which ever school decides. Definitely happy that we got Kyrie Irving running the point next year.

I thought that Knight's performance was very Allen Iverson-like. Drove to the basket a lot, took a lot of shots, and missed most of them. Not that that is such a terrible thing when you have no other talent. It will be interesting to see him in a situation with better players.

Rivers looked awesome, though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I thought that Knight's performance was very Allen Iverson-like. Drove to the basket a lot, took a lot of shots, and missed most of them. Not that that is such a terrible thing when you have no other talent. It will be interesting to see him in a situation with better players.
    His former AAU teammate was Kenny B

Quote Originally Posted by dukieinhebron View Post
    I feel that Knight is more of a 2 guard than an actual point guard. He is a great player that can fill it up. However, I really don't believe he really put his teammates in positions to score. Im not sure if it is lack of skill or confidence in his teammates. He will be a stud in which ever school decides. Definitely happy that we got Kyrie Irving running the point next year.
    From what I've heard and read about Knight is that he plays more the traditional pg role during the aau season. He apparently shoots so much for Pinecrest because he doesn't have that have that much talent around him. It would be interesting to see him play on a more complete team and see if he still shoots a ton of shots or spreads the ball around more. Either way, dude's got talent.

we here in Winter Park do not like to be confused with Winter Haven (or Winter Springs, for that matter).

thank you.

Watched this game. Austin Rivers continues to impress me. His quickness, size, strength, handle, shooting, body control, finishing ability, and court awareness are incredible. He is an almost perfect offensive player. He makes the right pass when available, or he can finish if you give him the opportunity. He can definitely play PG at the college level. I think that is his future, a big PG who can guard SG if needed in the NBA.

On the other side, I thought Brandon Knight was really impressive. His size, strength and speed make the game easy for him. He settled for too many jump shots in my opinion, and his jumper is not his best attribute. However, to get to this "next level," meaning a superstar NBA player, he needs to work on his ball-handling some. It seemed a bit loose to me, but in high school he gets away with it because he is a man playing with boys. I think he will get there, but will need to continue to work.

Because of this assessment of Knight, I am really glad we opted for Kyrie over him. I think Kyrie's handle is way better, as is his shooting. He is not as strong, but few are.

Kyrie + Austin Rivers would be one of the best back-courts in college basketball history (in my opinion).

On more thing: I don't know how any one could defend Rivers in a screen-roll situation with two shooters on the wings. Don't think it would be possible.
    Last edited by chrisheery; 02-06-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    On more thing: I don't know how any one could defend Rivers in a screen-roll situation with two shooters on the wings. Don't think it would be possible.
    You mean two shooters like Andre Dawkins and Seth Curry?

Kyle and Nolan could also be potential shooters next year. How unstoppable would our offense...damn, gotta focus on this season. When you start thinking about potential scenarios you set yourself up for letdowns, cough Harrison Barnes cough. With that in mind next year will be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You mean two shooters like Andre Dawkins and Seth Curry?
    No, I mean two shooters like that who can also get to the rack at will, have great handles, and can run a team. I love Dre and Seth, though.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I hope Rivers does well, but I'll be rooting for my alma mater - Pine Crest!
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post
    You went to Pine Crest?!?!? I went to Pine Crest (Boca campus) for 2nd grade. Really random and cool.
    Ft. Lauderdale campus, Class of 1972. That was the only campus at that time, although not the original campus, which was downtown. Went there for junior and senior years. Played football and baseball.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Kyle and Nolan could also be potential shooters next year. How unstoppable would our offense...damn, gotta focus on this season. When you start thinking about potential scenarios you set yourself up for letdowns, cough Harrison Barnes cough. With that in mind next year will be fun.
    Its also not a possible scenario because Rivers is in the class of 2011 (current junior), although that can be hard to remember seeing as the buzz on him around here is so hot...we forget that he still has a lot of time to make a decision

I agree that Irving, Rivers, Dawkins, Curry would be an unbelievable set of guards...imagine being able to have any three of them on the court at the same time, how could that be topped?

Quote Originally Posted by MADevil30 View Post
    I agree that Irving, Rivers, Dawkins, Curry would be an unbelievable set of guards...imagine being able to have any three of them on the court at the same time, how could that be topped?
    That is going to take place next year.

We (hopefully) will be able to utilize some World Series of Poker signs in Cameron:

You got beat by the River!

(ESPN will dig the cross-selling, the NCAA might not)

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ft. Lauderdale campus, Class of 1972. That was the only campus at that time, although not the original campus, which was downtown. Went there for junior and senior years. Played football and baseball.
    Boca Campus, 2nd grade, I participated in after-school swimming lessons. I believe I had a trapper keeper with a lot of stickers.

A tiny bit of info in a recent article on the Orlando Magic.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton_notes_020710.html

Rivers plans on being in Orlando during the all-star break to spend time with his family, and naturally take in more basketball game. He said his two sons, Austin and Spencer, play four games in three days during the break. … Austin, a senior guard at Winter Park High School, is one of the nation’s most sought-after recruits. He backed out of his verbal commitment and is being recruited heavily by Duke University. Grant Hill, who played for Rivers in Orlando and is one of Duke’s most famous former players, has been in contact with Austin about potentially playing at Duke.

I'm reaalllllly liking our chances.