Page 106 of 156 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 3105
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    There is another more recent one as well Jim. For the life of me I cannot recall his name and the UVA website has horrible historical data.

The kid was a guard from one of the local high schools in Durham. Hillside? He was recruited by Duke and UVA and chose the Hoo's. Ended up being a good player too.

I just cannot come up with the name. Hoping you could help.
    Come on, Boozer; I thought you knew your hoops.

As tbyers indicates, you're probably thinking of Courtney Alexander. He certainly got around; check his http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Alexander bio.

I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself; Courtney attended high school in Monroe, CT, as did what former Blue Devil?

Wouldn't surprise me if Tony Bennett got things going at UVa; they've had success in the past, have a great arena, a first class university, and been down for a while.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Come on, Boozer; I thought you knew your hoops.

As tbyers indicates, you're probably thinking of Courtney Alexander. He certainly got around; check his http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Alexander bio.

I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself; Courtney attended high school in Monroe, CT, as did what former Blue Devil?

Wouldn't surprise me if Tony Bennett got things going at UVa; they've had success in the past, have a great arena, a first class university, and been down for a while.
    Ah man, I am wrong again! Dang it. Can't be Alexander because the kid I remember (or can't remember) definitely went to high school in Durham.

So you now give me another challenge! I will think on that one.

Back to Austin, good to hear ol roy has backed off on the full court press. If in fact he has. I am shocked they are not represented at the Peach Jam. I would think if the heels really want Austin they would at least have Steve Robinson there.

Coach K thought it important enough to be there himself. Is Roy conceding on this one??

Ah man, I am wrong again! Dang it. Can't be Alexander because the kid I remember (or can't remember) definitely went to high school in Durham.

So you now give me another challenge! I will think on that one.

Back to Austin, good to hear ol roy has backed off on the full court press. If in fact he has. I am shocked they are not represented at the Peach Jam. I would think if the heels really want Austin they would at least have Steve Robinson there.

Coach K thought it important enough to be there himself. Is Roy conceding on this one??
    Courtney Alexander went to Jordan High School for at least a year. An ex-girlfriend of mine tutored him and said he was a jerk (this was a couple of years after we broke up.)

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post
    Courtney Alexander went to Jordan High School for at least a year. An ex-girlfriend of mine tutored him and said he was a jerk (this was a couple of years after we broke up.)
    Yeah, Courtney got around.

He was associated with:
    2 high schools---in Monroe, CT and Jordan High in Durham
    2 colleges---UVa and then Fresno, where he led the country in scoring
    6 NBA teams counting trades

Heck, he may have run into Doc Rivers in his travels and met his son.

5. He was also arrested for assaulting his girlfriend while at UVA, and I think this led to his transfer to Fresno State, a program that took castaways from just about every major school.

If we were looking at him, I am glad he got away.

Dad Doc says Austin hasn't decided yet...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/12/d...ed/#more-36818

When asked about Rivers being seen in Duke gear:

Asked if that meant it was a done deal for Austin to Duke, Doc said, “It really doesn’t. He wears stuff all the time. He had a UCF shirt on yesterday so you just never know.

“They [Duke] are in it, there’s no doubt about it. And so is Florida though and probably a couple other schools. I just don’t think he knows right now.

“I thought there was a time when he was sure and now he’s not. Hell, I even ask him and he literally says, ‘I have no idea right now’ and that’s good.”
    ...honestly dont know if I buy it. Doc knows what to say to the media and I thats pretty much what I'd expect him to say with a tape recorder in his face. We are still the favs IMO. Also kinda interesting he didn't mention UNC in the same breath with Duke and FL and just threw them in with the "couple other schools" that are in the running.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, Courtney got around.

He was associated with:
    2 high schools---in Monroe, CT and Jordan High in Durham
    2 colleges---UVa and then Fresno, where he led the country in scoring
    6 NBA teams counting trades

Heck, he may have run into Doc Rivers in his travels and met his son.
    Thanks. So it was Alexander and it was Jordan High rather than Hillside. Someone else mentioned Willie Dersch as well. Point is, Duke can lose recruits to UVA, as they can to anybody. It happens.

But back to Austin. Beyond the rumor from heel boards, and the fact that unc is not in attendance at Peach Jam watching Austin, is there anything else pointing to unc not going hard after Austin?

I fully expected roy to go all in on Austin to try to steal him away. It will be interesting if we learn he has given up on Austin. The plot thickens indeed!

I hear what you're saying, but....

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post

...honestly dont know if I buy it. Doc knows what to say to the media and I thats pretty much what I'd expect him to say with a tape recorder in his face. We are still the favs IMO. Also kinda interesting he didn't mention UNC in the same breath with Duke and FL and just threw them in with the "couple other schools" that are in the running.
    I'm curious as to the comments that Doc made about Austin appearing to be sure at what point about where he wanted to go; but now he's not. If that is true, I wonder what changed Austin's position from being fairly certain to now not knowing where he wants to go. I'm wondering if another coach(es) or even other players are whispering in his ear, trying to put doubt into going to Duke. That's nothing new and I feel really good about our standing with him; but it still makes me wonder....

FWIW, I don't think it's a coincidence that Coach K is personally at Peach Jam watching Austin as the fact that the staff is recruiting him hard right now. IMO, it shows that Austin isn't a done deal as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I'm curious as to the comments that Doc made about Austin appearing to be sure at what point about where he wanted to go; but now he's not. If that is true, I wonder what changed Austin's position from being fairly certain to now not knowing where he wants to go. I'm wondering if another coach(es) or even other players are whispering in his ear, trying to put doubt into going to Duke. That's nothing new and I feel really good about our standing with him; but it still makes me wonder....

FWIW, I don't think it's a coincidence that Coach K is personally at Peach Jam watching Austin as the fact that the staff is recruiting him hard right now. IMO, it shows that Austin isn't a done deal as of yet.
    We don't even know if Doc was talking about Duke or Florida. Or both, at different times. We'll know when we know.

Thanks. So it was Alexander and it was Jordan High rather than Hillside. Someone else mentioned Willie Dersch as well. Point is, Duke can lose recruits to UVA, as they can to anybody. It happens.
    Duke was recruiting them, but then we ran out of scholarships so they dont count.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    I think I said in the last 15 years, can you say hello to 1989?
    You were correct in predicting that MP3 would choose Duke over UVA, however the so called facts you use to support your prediction are not really facts at all. Other posters have pointed this out already. I do not think anyone has an issue with the content of your discussion, with the exception of the statement that no kid would “ever” choose UVA over Duke. That is very presumptuous and yes a bit arrogant. It most certainly could happen. Duke is our favorite school and although we may have a hard time understanding why someone would choose not to play ball here if they could, other folks have different perspectives and ideas about what they want out of a university.

Oh, and perhaps the last thing you might want to consider doing is picking an argument with Jim. He has forgotten more about ACC basketball than most of the collective body of this site has ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post

So pretty much you don't like what you're hearing from Doc, so you're disregarding it.
    April 1

IIRC,Bryant Stith was practically begging for a Duke offer. K just didn't bit and we lost out. So we didn't exactly lose him to UVA because Duke didn't offer. Will did lose out on Willie Dersch tho. Wasnt necessarily a bad thing tho hehehehh

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    i think you are that other guy that was on here that argued with everyone and didn't know when to stop. the one who couldnt do the scholarship math? shouldn't you have learned your lesson before you started a new account?
    Who are you talking about? I have had one account and it is this one, I am not trying to argue with everyone. I simply defended a guy that said MP3 would commit and then he said he wasn't worried that AR would commit as well, and a bunch of guys jumped on him and said he shouldn't post unless he has facts. I had facts that MP3 would commit and commit soon, but I could not say where I got the info from because it was a premium site. Now Kedsy and other people want to jump on me and say my facts aren't facts when they clearly were, I know for a fact that it was down to 3 schools but in all reality it was only down to 2 because unc never put an offer on the table. The only thing I said that wasn't a fact was a kid would choose Duke over UVa, and although that is not a fact I do believe in this day an age it would be very difficult for UVa to recruit over Duke. Could it happen, of course it could, I mean look at Beasley going to KSU just to follow his AAU coach there stuff like that happens. Bottom line is I was not trying to argue with anyone, but I posted to defend a guy I knew was right about MP3 and then I get bombarded by everyone even though I was right. Like I said before we are all Duke fans why are we fighting with each other? Well except for kong.
    Last edited by sdotbarbee; 07-13-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    You were correct in predicting that MP3 would choose Duke over UVA, however the so called facts you use to support your prediction are not really facts at all. Other posters have pointed this out already. I do not think anyone has an issue with the content of your discussion, with the exception of the statement that no kid would “ever” choose UVA over Duke. That is very presumptuous and yes a bit arrogant. It most certainly could happen. Duke is our favorite school and although we may have a hard time understanding why someone would choose not to play ball here if they could, other folks have different perspectives and ideas about what they want out of a university.

Oh, and perhaps the last thing you might want to consider doing is picking an argument with Jim. He has forgotten more about ACC basketball than most of the collective body of this site has ever known.

So I started picking an argument with Jim? I feel like I am in high school and all of the popular kids have their own clique and defend each other no matter what. Jim made a comment to me so I made a comment back clarifying the timeline, but okay I am picking on him.

Back to Austin, I heard that for his second game last night ole Roy was in attendance. I don't know how to read that unless he just wants to keep his foot in the door in case there is a chance he can Austin has a change of heart.

Back to Austin, I heard that for his second game last night ole Roy was in attendance. I don't know how to read that unless he just wants to keep his foot in the door in case there is a chance he can Austin has a change of heart.
    or perhaps its that he's a coach recruiting an athlete, and when you are in such a situation, you generally show up at big games...especially when other coaches recruiting said athlete will also be in attendence
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    or perhaps its that he's a coach recruiting an athlete, and when you are in such a situation, you generally show up at big games...especially when other coaches recruiting said athlete will also be in attendence
    So why was he not at the first game? This was discussed earlier in the thread that ole Roy or his staff wasn't there watching AR while coach K and his staff was.

Talking Code Breaking?

[/U][/B]

So I started picking an argument with Jim? I feel like I am in high school and all of the popular kids have their own clique and defend each other no matter what. Jim made a comment to me so I made a comment back clarifying the timeline, but okay I am picking on him.
    Ah, you broke the code. DBR is about old guys and gals back in high school, reliving the pettiness that sustained our lives way back then. Not really, but it is an interesting hypothesis to consider.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Ah, you broke the code. DBR is about old guys and gals back in high school, reliving the pettiness that sustained our lives way back then. Not really, but it is an interesting hypothesis to consider.

sagegrouse
    I just want to fit in and be one of the popular kids.