Page 105 of 156 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 3105
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I'm guessing G Man was referring to the fact that Pierce played for both roy and Doc. Either way, it doesn't matter too much IMO.
    yea i guess so, didnt even think about that

RE: Duke "never" losing a recruit to Virginia.

Bryant Stith says hello.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I'm guessing G Man was referring to the fact that Pierce played for both roy and Doc. Either way, it doesn't matter too much IMO.
    Yes I was referring to the connection between the coaching staff's not the university. Sorry I should have been a little clearer I assumed most knew Pierce played for Roy.

Marin, Johnny D, Hurley for 3!

Stith is of course a good example, but in fairness that is well before the window that is being discussed.

Movin' on up

1. John Wall - 123
    2. Harrison Barnes - 107
    3. Austin Rivers - 105

Keep it going gang! He could be the all time leader before his senior year even starts!
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    1. John Wall - 123
    2. Harrison Barnes - 107
    3. Austin Rivers - 105

Keep it going gang! He could be the all time leader before his senior year even starts!
    Let's hope he starts a new trend is the first of the three that we actually get.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    1. John Wall - 123
    2. Harrison Barnes - 107
    3. Austin Rivers - 105

He's already well on his way. I'm pretty sure the John Wall thread includes discussion of his freshman year at Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Rumor running from my UNC fans is that Austin says he hasn't heard from UNC in a couple of months. If it is down to us and UVA, then I feel really, really good about it.

And, the UNC types are saying that the lack of UNC attention isn't because they don't want Austin, but because they don't feel strong enough about their chances to waste time and resources on recruiting him. Evidently, Doc was more interested in UNC than his son was seems to be their take. FWIW
    Not my intention to read too much into this, but does this mean that Doc might potentially favor UNC over Duke; or rather, he just wants to make sure Austin properly explores the other schools besides Duke (i.e. UNC) before making a decision in order to feel completely comfortable about his final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Not my intention to read too much into this, but does this mean that Doc might potentially favor UNC over Duke; or rather, he just wants to make sure Austin properly explores the other schools besides Duke (i.e. UNC) before making a decision in order to feel completely comfortable about his final decision.
    It's impossible to know, but I believe the latter is what Doc has said in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Bryant Stith says hello.
    I think I said in the last 15 years, can you say hello to 1989?

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    I believe you did say that, but that's just molding data to fit your point. So if it happened in the last 15 years it matters but in the last 20 years it doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I believe you did say that, but that's just molding data to fit your point. So if it happened in the last 15 years it matters but in the last 20 years it doesn't?
    It really isn't, though. When Bryant Stith committed to Virginia, it was by no means clear that Duke would have the superior program over the next two decades. UVa was the school with multiple recent appearances in the Final Four, not Duke. It was a different time.

That is by no means proof that no player would ever choose Virginia over Duke today. You never know when a recruit will connect with a coach or a school. But 2010 isn't 1987.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    It really isn't, though. When Bryant Stith committed to Virginia, it was by no means clear that Duke would have the superior program over the next two decades. UVa was the school with multiple recent appearances in the Final Four, not Duke. It was a different time.

That is by no means proof that no player would ever choose Virginia over Duke today. You never know when a recruit will connect with a coach or a school. But 2010 isn't 1987.
    The Ralph Sampson era was long gone. I think it was pretty clear to any recruit in the Fall of 1987 that the tide had definitively turned. Duke had won the last 9 games over 4 seasons and had had recurring big time recruiting success.

FWIW

“I have an interest in a lot of schools right now,” Rivers said. “I’m not favoring anybody. You can ask my father, he doesn’t even know. I haven’t talked to anybody about where I’m going to go. People are always like ‘Oh you know where you’re going.’ I really honestly don’t know where I’m going. I haven’t thought about it.”

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Bryant Stith says hello.
    There is another more recent one as well Jim. For the life of me I cannot recall his name and the UVA website has horrible historical data.

The kid was a guard from one of the local high schools in Durham. Hillside? He was recruited by Duke and UVA and chose the Hoo's. Ended up being a good player too.

I just cannot come up with the name. Hoping you could help.

As for Austin, I hate that he pushed it out. It gives unc more time to brainwash the kid. He still seems to be a Duke lean and if he had to choose today, Duke would likely be the choice.

However, he is not, so all the hand wringing in the world is not going to help a thing. We might as well relax, follow his development on the court, and read his diairies as they come out. Given that he changes his mind a lot, no inside source is going to be spot on at this point. It will come down to how he is feeling when he makes his final decision.

I am not going to argue with you anymore if you want to try and undermine everything I post that's fine. Bottom line I said he would be a Blue Devil soon and what was it 3 days later it happened. Fact #2 was not shaky evidence and unc was never really in the picture because they never made an offer, unc would rather have Cody Zeller just like I would.
    Whatever. By the way, I never said you were wrong about Marshall coming to Duke. I just said your reasoning was flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    There is another more recent one as well Jim. For the life of me I cannot recall his name and the UVA website has horrible historical data.

The kid was a guard from one of the local high schools in Durham. Hillside? He was recruited by Duke and UVA and chose the Hoo's. Ended up being a good player too.

I just cannot come up with the name. Hoping you could help.

As for Austin, I hate that he pushed it out. It gives unc more time to brainwash the kid. He still seems to be a Duke lean and if he had to choose today, Duke would likely be the choice.

However, he is not, so all the hand wringing in the world is not going to help a thing. We might as well relax, follow his development on the court, and read his diairies as they come out. Given that he changes his mind a lot, no inside source is going to be spot on at this point. It will come down to how he is feeling when he makes his final decision.
    Are you referring to Courtney Alexander? I didn't follow recruiting real closely back then but I don't recall Duke being seriously involved for Alexander. I could be completely wrong on that point though.

What about Willie Dersch, who rejected Duke and chose Virginia in 1995--after Duke had won 2 national titles and been to 7 Final Fours in 9 seasons?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Are you referring to Courtney Alexander? I didn't follow recruiting real closely back then but I don't recall Duke being seriously involved for Alexander. I could be completely wrong on that point though.
    Bingo! Thanks. I know Duke recruited him, but not sure how hard/seriously. I do agree with Kedsy and others though in that assuming a kid would not choose UVA over Duke is arrogant as heck.

i think you are that other guy that was on here that argued with everyone and didn't know when to stop. the one who couldnt do the scholarship math? shouldn't you have learned your lesson before you started a new account?