Page 103 of 156 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 3105

Interesting point

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Okay, let's consider this.

Is Austin Rivers really a crucial or even important recruit for Duke?

1. He's made it pretty clear that he plans on playing college basketball for one year only.

2. Without him in the 2011-12 season, wouldn't Duke still have a strong/very strong backcourt?
    With Duke's current roster and commitments, the team looks like it would still be strong even if neither Austin or Quincy commits.
    2011-12 tentative roster
    Sr. Miles Plumlee
    Jr. Mason Plumlee?
    Jr. Kelly
    Soph. Hairston
    Fresh. Adams
    Fresh. Gbinije
    Jr. Curry
    Jr. Dawkins
    Soph. Thornton
    Soph. Irving?

Even without Irving or Mason, that squad looks potentially strong. This is, of course, assuming improvement from everyone. There is certainly the possibility that Kyrie and/or Mason could be playing, as well as another freshman or two, such as Quin Cook and/or Marshall Plumlee if we didn't land Q or Austin. All in all, I would say that Austin is not a crucial recruit for Duke, but he is so talented that he could make a big impact, even if it was only for a year.

I remember reading somewhere earlier (perhaps on this thread) that Elton Brand and Doc were talking prior to a Philly/Boston game. When asked what they were talking about, Elton replied "Duke". I think it is fair to say that Doc has a lot of respect for K, otherwise I don't think Austin would show the level of interest that he has so far. I don't want to hang everything in the world on this kid like a lot of us did for He who must not be named (HB). I hope we get him, even if it is only for one year, but if not, there are other options. I did see somewhere that he is not planning on deciding on any school until later on. I guess the August deadline is not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Even without Irving or Mason, that squad looks potentially strong. This is, of course, assuming improvement from everyone. There is certainly the possibility that Kyrie and/or Mason could be playing, as well as another freshman or two, such as Quin Cook and/or Marshall Plumlee if we didn't land Q or Austin. All in all, I would say that Austin is not a crucial recruit for Duke, but he is so talented that he could make a big impact, even if it was only for a year.
    I posed the question to get some different thoughts, but I agree with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Yeah, I can ease the pain by thinking about the hardware won just a few months ago...
    I agree wholeheartedly with your post as a whole, however, I disagree with this thought. NCAA Championships are few and far between while we sign top recruits on a regular basis. There is no comparison between the two and the championship is on a totally different level of importance.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Okay, let's consider this.

Is Austin Rivers really a crucial or even important recruit for Duke?

1. He's made it pretty clear that he plans on playing college basketball for one year only.

2. Without him in the 2011-12 season, wouldn't Duke still have a strong/very strong backcourt?
    Generally agree with this, but I also think it's a very good thing to have young NBA stars with the Duke brand on them. Rivers' importance is almost as much for future recruiting in my mind as it is for the direct effect he'll have on the court in the year he's year. No one wants K to become Calipari, but it's clear the effect Evans/Rose/Wall has had on his recruiting attractiveness.

Plus, selfishly, I like when we churn out NBA stars because it makes watching the NBA a lot more fun.

Yes and No...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Generally agree with this, but I also think it's a very good thing to have young NBA stars with the Duke brand on them. Rivers' importance is almost as much for future recruiting in my mind as it is for the direct effect he'll have on the court in the year he's year. No one wants K to become Calipari, but it's clear the effect Evans/Rose/Wall has had on his recruiting attractiveness.

Plus, selfishly, I like when we churn out NBA stars because it makes watching the NBA a lot more fun.

I understand the point and do appreciate the theme of the value of having "name" players in the NBA to point to while in a recuit's living room as examples of our player success. Duke doesn't have, right now, what I would call a bonafide superstar alum in the NBA - though the sheer number of Duke NBA guys is a pretty solid statement in its own right - and Austin does have that potential. Though Boozer is pretty damn close. BTW, that was one of many losses, I think, when Jay Wil's motorcycle went awry...

But, regardless of having a strong backcourt "anyway" in '11-'12, make no mistake that AR would make it much better. He's that good. Also, don't forget that MANY (most?) players who go in thinking one-and-done wind up staying longer -- b/c they love college, develop friendships, don't do as well as hoped, decide to go after the NCAA crown again, see bad positioning in their draft year, etc.

Austin is a stud, and we'd be lucky to have him, even if he never played a day in the pros, which he will.

Think good vibes people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    There are a lot of subtexts here. First of all, I don't think anybody here wants to deny you the right to be as optimistic and giddy as you wish. Though there's a difference between saying "I have a good feeling about this" and saying "this is going to happen." (And I'm not making any judgment as to which side of the equation your previous statements have fallen; I honestly don't remember and don't care enough to look it up.)

I think part of some people's reactions are fueled by a pseudo-superstitious fear of jinxing a good thing by taking it for granted. That's not your problem, it's theirs. I also think the biggest part of the backlash is caused by the fact that in the past a lot of the people who were most optimistic about things (like HB's recruitment but it's certainly not the only example) have instantly gone 180 and spewed the most negative and hurtful things when their original optimistic feelings turned out to be misplaced. Once people decide they've won something in advance, the hurt when they lose is a lot more intense, and many of these people have not been shy about expressing that pain. But it's no fun to listen to, so many people advise caution in advance to hopefully keep the potential bitter rants to a minimum.

As far as your most recent statements about MP3, you appear to be making several possibly unwarranted assumptions. First, as far as I know it's only been one source said it was down to Duke, UNC, and UVa, and that has been disputed by other sources, so I wouldn't base any certainties on that. Second, Scout is certainly a source but I wouldn't bet the house based on Scout's determination of who has offered scholarships to whom. Third, even if UNC hasn't offered yet, if MP3 says he's deciding among three schools and UNC is one of them then it's probably safe to assume that Roy has suggested an offer could be forthcoming. The current lack of an offer certainly wouldn't "rule out" anything. Finally, over the years Duke has lost several recruits to UVa. It's a little arrogant to assume it couldn't happen again, especially if MP3 thinks he could start and star at UVa but possibly sit on the bench at Duke.

In short, neither MP3 nor AR will be over until they're over.
    So was it arrogance or did I know something? Either way MP3 is here now and I fully expect to see Rivers come to the same conclusion. With Rivers that 2011 class would be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    So was it arrogance or did I know something? Either way MP3 is here now and I fully expect to see Rivers come to the same conclusion. With Rivers that 2011 class would be insane.
    That's some awesome foresight. If I had your inside knowledge I would go to vegas and bet my house on Austin Rivers coming to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    That's some awesome foresight. If I had your inside knowledge I would go to vegas and bet my house on Austin Rivers coming to Duke.
    Absolutely. I'm sure he's doing that right now, seeing as how he's obviously the next coming of Nostradamus. And if you don't believe that, just ask him.

we haven't heard anything from the great vasherized for some time. what's up with that?

Well, the arrogance was saying no recruit would pick UVa over Duke, and if you believe that, it's still arrogance. As to whether you knew something, I doubt it. Just because MP3 chose to come to Duke doesn't mean you knew any more than a guy sitting around flipping coins.

That said, I hope you're just as prescient about Rivers. Only time will tell.

Friend, if you "know" something please share it with us. Otherwise you are going to get rained on pretty hard. You had a better than 50:50 chance of getting the MP3 prediction correct by just guessing, so if you have info, especially about Rivers then feel free to share it with us. IF not, then it is a good idea to state that it is just your gut feeling otherwise I am afraid that you will be hammered as others have been when they make unsubstantiated claims on the board. I too have a pretty good "feeling" about Rivers coming to Duke, but I have absolutely no inside information - AT ALL -, and that is how I present it to the board. Things may go a little easier for you if you take that same approach. Just my humble opinion, take it for what it is worth, otherwise if you keep putting things out there as predetermined or forgone conclusions you are going to be called on them.

Well here is what I know, I knew that MP3 had it narrowed down to 3 schools, Duke, unc, and UVA. He only had offers on the table from 2 of those schools and they were Duke and UVA, so unc was not in the picture at this point. MP3's coach and MP1 said that Marshall would make his decision by the end of July so that completely took unc out of the equation. So now it was down to Duke and UVA, and I know Kedsy took offense to me saying that Duke wouldn't lose a recruiting battle with UVA but the past 15 years we haven't. Maybe it is arrogance or maybe I just have that much confidence in our coaching staff and our history that there are only a handful of schools that could pull a recruit away from us and UVA is NOT one of them. Plus I know he said he wouldn't make the decision based on his brothers and where they were but come on you know that was a factor too. So did I have inside info? No but if you step back and look at the facts it was pretty clear where he would end up. I also had some info from a premium site but I know it is not kosher to share on this board so I didn't. I just hope AR makes the same decision, which I think he will but who knows.

I also had some info from a premium site
    well that seals the deal!
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, the arrogance was saying no recruit would pick UVa over Duke, and if you believe that, it's still arrogance. As to whether you knew something, I doubt it. Just because MP3 chose to come to Duke doesn't mean you knew any more than a guy sitting around flipping coins.

That said, I hope you're just as prescient about Rivers. Only time will tell.
    So we are all Duke fans on here and this is what I get? Since I am a "newbie" I don't get a small amount of respect? You guys really make new guys feel welcome. I don't think stating facts is arrogance, it simply doesn't happen and until it does I will firmly believe that a recruit would chose Duke over UVA.

I don't think stating facts is arrogance, it simply doesn't happen and until it does I will firmly believe that a recruit would chose Duke over UVA.
    I would say your final clause is just about the definition of arrogance. Its not about making a new guy feel welcome...its about not being wildly speculative without facts....the recruiting landscape changes yearly, even daily, and each recruit is an indicividual. Just because you can't find a recruit that spurned duke for uva doesn't mean it couldn't happen at any point. Suppose mason decided he'd get more playing time at UVA, or he didn't want to play in the shadow of his brothers? those are completely valid reasons why he might have gone to UVA over duke

GOOD POST:
    I think mason will choose duke because he would like playing with his brothers and coach K presents an opportunity of academics and athletics that can't be topped elsewhere.

BAD POST:
    I know mason will choose duke becuase no recruit would ever choose UVA over duke
    1200. DDMF.

Okay I know I'm a blonde & it is Monday but don't we already have Mason playing for us & it is Marshall we were recuriting?

Just joking guys, I know what you meant.

Back to making this thread about Austin. I have no news only hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I would say your final clause is just about the definition of arrogance. Its not about making a new guy feel welcome...its about not being wildly speculative without facts.....the recruiting landscape changes yearly, even daily, and each recruit is an indicividual. Just because you can't find a recruit that spurned duke for uva doesn't mean it couldn't happen at any point. Suppose mason decided he'd get more playing time at UVA, or he didn't want to play in the shadow of his brothers? those are completely valid reasons why he might have gone to UVA over duke

GOOD POST:
    I think mason will choose duke because he would like playing with his brothers and coach K presents an opportunity of academics and athletics that can't be topped elsewhere.

BAD POST:
    I know mason will choose duke becuase no recruit would ever choose UVA over duke
    I gave you facts you just didn't want to believe them. Fact 1: he will make his decision before August, Fact 2: he had narrowed the schools down to Duke, UVA, and unc, Fact 3: he had two scholarships on the table, one from Duke and one from UVA, Fact 4: both brothers play at Duke, Fact 5: Duke hasn't lost a recruit to UVA. Maybe down the road we do lose a recruit to UVA but like I said, not this year.

Now back to Austin, I have no new news either.

From Wayne Gooch, who's down in Augista watching Austin play in the Peach Jam:

Bluedevilsreign Austin Rivers is going off he has 24 early in the 2nd half. Roy Williams or no one in the gym for unc. Nuff said. 16 minutes ago