Page 100 of 156 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 3105
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I still don't care. But the fact is you were going off on someone who criticized someone else for saying: "I say Rivers is as good as commited [sic]. and Marshall Plumlee committing in the coming days. I think we'll also possibly add quin cook." You seemed bewildered that some posters try to downplay this sort of euphoric optimism regarding recruiting and I was trying to explain why it happens.

I've been following Duke since 1978, which is admittedly more than 15 years ago. I don't keep a diary of lost recruits, but we certainly lost recruits to UVa in the 80s and 90s, if not later. But I'm not sure why UVa is different from any other school for these purposes. We don't get every recruit we want, and if MP3 clicks with UVa more than he clicks with Duke then he'll go there. To me, that's what's "plain and simple."
    I don't think I "went off" on anybody, I just simply stated that some people on this board are very pessimistic and when someone gets excited about Rivers' or another recruit wearing Duke gear or something there is always someone to bring them down. We might have lost some recruits in the 80's and maybe early 90's but the recruiting game has changed since then. Duke and UVA don't recruit the same caliber of high school talent. Now that is not saying that some UVA recruits don't turn out better then some Duke recruits but coming out of high school Duke gets 4 and 5 star recruits and UVA gets 3 star recruits with a 4 star thrown in here and there. What's the last Burger boy that went and played for the Cavaliers? We just recruit different talent. There will be a Plumlee decision soon and I expect it to be Duke, with that said I would rather get Cody Zeller or Amir Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    And in Austin related news - he's actually playing ball this summer. Let's see if we can appreciate that.

He shoot 60% in U18 games from three. I'm still trying to comprehend that. Worry about the rest later - PLEASE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Who cares about that? Most of those games are AAU ball, little more than glorified pick-up nonsense.
    Duvall, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The U18 FIBA Americas Championship in San Antonio is completely different from AAU games. The FIBA competition is organized team oriented games against international competition. The USA team was coached by college coaches Jeff Capel, Paul Hewitt, and Reggie Witherspoon. These competitions are excellent opportunities for the young players involved and the statistics from the games are legitimate discussion points.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    I don't think I "went off" on anybody, I just simply stated that some people on this board are very pessimistic and when someone gets excited about Rivers' or another recruit wearing Duke gear or something there is always someone to bring them down. We might have lost some recruits in the 80's and maybe early 90's but the recruiting game has changed since then. Duke and UVA don't recruit the same caliber of high school talent. Now that is not saying that some UVA recruits don't turn out better then some Duke recruits but coming out of high school Duke gets 4 and 5 star recruits and UVA gets 3 star recruits with a 4 star thrown in here and there. What's the last Burger boy that went and played for the Cavaliers? We just recruit different talent. There will be a Plumlee decision soon and I expect it to be Duke, with that said I would rather get Cody Zeller or Amir Williams.
    I don't think folks are jumping on people for getting excited about a recruit wearing Duke gear. I think folks are jumping on people for jumping to the conclusion that it's a done deal simply because a guy wears Duke gear. There's a big distinction between the two.

I don't think it's pessimistic to say that Rivers isn't all but committed. I think it's realistic. You can even still be optimistic and not saying it's not certain we get Rivers. Don't count your chickens before they hatch is all I ask.

I'm very excited that we have a good shot at Rivers. But we don't have a commitment from him. And until we do, I think it's presumptuous to say he's basically committed to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by should_be_working View Post
    Wow! I'm not sure what to say after reading that....

So it doesn't look like it'll be any day now...

Obviously, that means I won’t be deciding in August like I said before. Sorry about that, guys. I just want to make this the best decision for me and having gone through this once already I have to KNOW it’s the right thing for me. I don’t want any fans to read into this any kind of way. Nothing has changed with me other than time.
    Interesting that his time line has changed, which of course is not good for the presumed leader for his services, but is probably the best decision for him. It can't be a bad decision on his part to check out some schools and have the red carpet rolled out for him. I, of course, hope he keeps Duke as his favorite and signs to play for coach K whenever he chooses.
    Last edited by NSDukeFan; 07-09-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Got rid of one of my mistakes
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Wow! I'm not sure what to say after reading that....
    I know what to say after reading that—this situation is starting to look dangerously that of a certain unnamed recruit from last season. Considering friends who belong to premium sites have assured me for months that Austin will come to Duke I'm still holding out hope, but the longer this takes the worse I'll feel. This is just another reason why I've decided not to waste my money on premium sites: you really don't know anything until there is a commitment (and sometimes not even really then), haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So it doesn't look like it'll be any day now...
    Bummer....my kingdom for an easy recruitment!

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Bummer....my kingdom for an easy recruitment!
    We now have time to make this the longest recruiting thread ever on DBR.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this...

I really was hoping for a commitment in August, but I guess he listened to Doc and decided to take his visits which is good for him. He really needs to enjoy the experience, just enjoy the experience more while at Duke.

Alright, everyone needs to chill out, we are still the leaders and I'm guessing the reason for the change in announcement times is that his dad got more involved after the Finals.

If he does stick to the new timeline (which I really wouldn't trust), he will have seen KI and Duke pretty much dominate non-conference opponents and see our new run and gun style of offense, which will hopefully seal the deal.

does this mean the 'pessimists' are vindicated?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    We now have time to make this the longest recruiting thread ever on DBR.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this...
    The only coach he name dropped was coach K, I agree we should not get worked up the kid committed too early to UF now he wants to take his time and be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    does this mean the 'pessimists' are vindicated?
    No, the 2010 title still belongs to the Duke Blue Devils.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    The only coach he name dropped was coach K, I agree we should not get worked up the kid committed too early to UF now he wants to take his time and be sure.
    and the only NBA player name he dropped was Jordan...
    April 1

He won't know much more about the players that he will be playing with in December than he will in August.

Freak out if you want to, but I'm not.

You are the "glass half empty" kind of guy where I am the "glass half full" kind of guy. Life is happier when you look at it the way I do.

Not true. He mentioned Doc twice.

Good Read

I enjoyed reading his stuff. He seems to be in a good frame of mind for a young man. He is conducting himself just like all recruits should. Take a look around figure out what is best for themselves and run with it. I have no problem with anything he said. All that in mind I will be very disappointed if he goes somewhere else.