Page 2 of 156 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, Austin's dad is not like most other dads when it comes to knowing a bit about what to do to make the most out of your basketball career. ...

Still, my bet is that Austin and his father recognize the value in looking around and keeping their options open.

--Jason "as for Donovan, Cal's arrival at Kentucky is only gonna make it that much harder for him to look good in the SEC" Evans
    Wonder if he talks to some other guys he may have run into while he was employed, guys that may have some advice to give, say maybe Bob Ferry, Doug Collins, Mike Dunleavy, Gerald Henderson, Dell Curry.

Smile Doc is a Class Act

Quote Originally Posted by jesus_hurley View Post
    The first thing I thought of (and delete this if I am going to far...) was that Doc Rivers wanted Austin to spend his freshman year practicing with players like Curry, Barnes, Irving (or Knight) so IF any of the 2010 class were just 2 year prospects he could step right in and be ready to run the team. Pure speculation - but that's what makes the non basketball season months go by faster...
    Doc Rivers has been a class act as an NBA player and coach. My guess is that Doc would be more inclined to recommend Duke to his son based on his knowledge of such K graduates as JD, Tommy Amaker, Danny Ferry, Billy King, Grant Hill, and Elton Brand, who are also class acts.

If Austin plays at Duke or several other places, he will will certainly have good players around him.

sagegrouse

Doc does what?

Lets see Doc is a coach and Im sure from his perspective its serving him well after his basketball life. If you could sign you kid up to mentor under any other coach who would you choose? Ummm Coach K? Bingo... Also if you wanted to make sure your kid was in good hands and was taught more than just the game but also how to become a leader what basektball coach would you choose? Ummm Coach K? Bingo... Also Rivers just mentioned that he is waiting to see who commits where and that will weigh in on his decision heavily. To me that shounds like he is waiting on Irving but could also mean Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by clg003 View Post
    Lets see Doc is a coach and Im sure from his perspective its serving him well after his basketball life. If you could sign you kid up to mentor under any other coach who would you choose? Ummm Coach K? Bingo... Also if you wanted to make sure your kid was in good hands and was taught more than just the game but also how to become a leader what basektball coach would you choose? Ummm Coach K? Bingo... Also Rivers just mentioned that he is waiting to see who commits where and that will weigh in on his decision heavily. To me that shounds like he is waiting on Irving but could also mean Barnes.
    Yeah but what if you just want to make sure your kid gets a good tan and has the same degree as his sister? Ummm, UF? Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by clg003 View Post
    And what if you wanted your son to be surrounded by some of the brightest, most forward-thinking young people in the world, where would you choose? Ummm Duke? Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I didn't know about Austin's brother so I tried to look him up.
    True, Jeremiah did not play all that much for Georgetown, but he did have a good game and scored a career high against us in Cameron in December 2006.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=20061202

I hope that will be the first of many Rivers family career games in Cameron.

C'mon. Anyone with a reasonable shot at an NBA contract would do fine from either Duke or that other school.

Let it go. Regardless of which "other school" is involved.

-jk

Not true some kid's end up at the wrong place and end up not being drafted at all.

his sister had a scholarship to stanford and turned it down to play ball at UF. doc was a little surprised by that move. maybe he's hoping for austin to go to a better academic school like duke. i'm trying to get a little scoop on the matter since my parents live in winter park. also, doc is a super nice guy and a class act, as mentioned above. i'd love for austin to end up at duke.

I've been looking at former Rivals writer Justin Young's twitter after he talked about Irving committing, and he has something good to say about Rivers as well.

http://twitter.com/JustinDYoung
    @VarandK i think Rivers was going to Duke regardless of Irving's impending decision but nevertheless, throw in Seth Curry and that's scary

K to visit Austin tomorrow

Duke recruiting is in full swing. Let's hope it goes well!

Info from the Devils Den

Subscription article for above info:

http://duke.scout.com/2/903896.html

Rivers asked to be recruited by Duke, and now he is.

Article in Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...f_the_old_doc/

Doc says:

“I just thought he should look [at other schools], just to make sure,’’ Rivers says. “But that’s where he wants to go. He’s going to Florida. There’s no doubt about that. He’s committed there. He’s a Florida kid.’’

We'll see...

Those are old quotes from BEFORE he went to Duke. They are actually from over a month ago:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/25/a...n-the-country/

“He’s going to Florida, there’s no doubt about that. He’s committed there, he’s a Florida kid.

“I just thought he should look [at other schools] just to make sure that’s where he wants to go, but that’s where he wants to go.”

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Article in Boston Globe.

Doc says:

“I just thought he should look [at other schools], just to make sure,’’ Rivers says. “But that’s where he wants to go. He’s going to Florida. There’s no doubt about that. He’s committed there. He’s a Florida kid.’’

We'll see...
    Not sure what to make of the situation. Bob Ryan repeatedly refers to Austin as a senior, though he's a junior. Did Bob use some earlier quotes and mail in a sloppy article?

Reports are that Coach K was down in Florida to observe a workout by Austin, and that Austin himself has given the okay to Duke actively recruiting him, after an "awesome" campus visit.

Is Austin in play? If not, maybe Brad Beal becomes a stronger possibility for the Class of 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Article in Boston Globe.

Doc says:

We'll see...
    This quote from Doc Rivers pre-dates Austin's visit to Duke:
    http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/18/s...visiting-duke/

The article also indicates (twice) that Austin is a top "high school senior" guard.

Kinda sloppy, Mr. Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post
    This quote from Doc Rivers pre-dates Austin's visit to Duke:
    http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/18/s...visiting-duke/

The article also indicates (twice) that Austin is a top "high school senior" guard.

Kinda sloppy, Mr. Ryan.
    I like Bob Ryan, but Boston is a pro sports town and the media reflect that...

Maybe

Just maybe I'm wrong, but isn't Austin in the same situation as Andre in that he can graduate hs early? I thought that was the case but he said he was not going to do that. However he did open up his recruitment and that shows he can change his mind. Go Duke!

Bud

Also, Bob Ryan, that is just piss-poor. Is there no editor for that paper? I mean come on. He could have forwarded that article to this bulletin board and had better revisions returned to him. Too busy filling in on PTI this week. Maybe Tony Reali will sort him out in stat boy section.
    Last edited by MulletMan; 10-02-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Rumor mongering response

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Also, Bob Ryan, that is just piss-poor. Is there no editor for that paper? I mean come on. He could have forwarded that article to this bulletin board and had better revisions returned to him. Too busy filling in on PTI this week. Maybe Tony Reali will sort him out in stat boy section.
    http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/...s/02877198.htm

Some of Bob's previous lapses indicate he does need some supervision or followup.

We can conclude there was no particular news in this article, other than Austin Rivers is an excellent backcourt prospect, but we suspected as much.