Page 46 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Talking Kyle Will Do Just Fine in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    One of the reasons the NBA 1 year rule was put into place was due to it being extremely difficult to judge high school talent. Before Kyle stepped foot on campus i heard people comparing him to Larry Bird.
    Not true IMHO (where the H is often silent). It was the outcome of a collective bargaining agreement where the union argued for no restrictions. The league has always wanted to get rid of unproductive teenagers sitting on the bench. No, I do not truly understand why the union has taken that position -- just ornery, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    In high school Kyle was more athletic then most of the players he went against. The players who could match him athletically or exceeded his ability didn't have near the basketball IQ so he could take over games.

Even though Singler had a very good freshman year at Duke...you could tell that he didn't jump overly well, he wasn't fast in the open court and he didn't have an extremely quick first step making it hard for him to create his own shot.

Kyle was and is a gamer but after seeing him play against college players the NBA quickly felt his potential was limited.

It isn't like K held him back...he just looked more like an NBA player in high school against those kids.
    I really can't disagree more with your observations. Kyle was the quickest jumper under the basket against everyone Duke played in the tournament, and that quickness requires not only reflexes but twitchy muscles. He has great body control and a very good touch for difficult and contorted shots. He looked pretty darn athletic to me, although I would not go so far as to say, "amazingly athletic," but only because Doug Gottlieb has a copyright on a closely related term.

He was also asked to guard very quick players, and I couldn't see that he had a problem with Lacedarius or JaJuan or Heyward, who was a very difficult assignment for everyone else in the tournament.

sagegrouse

So is florida officially out?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasherized View Post
    pfr,

maybe a better word choice would have been ... "Our prescient wisdom ordains that Rivers shall become a Blue Devil"?

Perhaps you like your recruiting nuggets in a more formal Victorian style?

We're open to any and all input.

class of '94.

You're welcome. We'll continue to report these intentionally vague recruiting mysteries as they unfold.
    I am going to step out on faith and give you and your site the benefit of the doubt on this one. Call it "your chance to impress us" and earn some credibility. You have said from the start Austin to Duke is pretty much a done deal. You have not wavered on it, I will give you that.

So come August or so we will likely see if you are right. FWIW, I am pulling for you to be correct on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasherized View Post
    pfr,

maybe a better word choice would have been ... "Our prescient wisdom ordains that Rivers shall become a Blue Devil"?

Perhaps you like your recruiting nuggets in a more formal Victorian style?

We're open to any and all input.

class of '94.

You're welcome. We'll continue to report these intentionally vague recruiting mysteries as they unfold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I am going to step out on faith and give you and your site the benefit of the doubt on this one. Call it "your chance to impress us" and earn some credibility. You have said from the start Austin to Duke is pretty much a done deal. You have not wavered on it, I will give you that.

So come August or so we will likely see if you are right. FWIW, I am pulling for you to be correct on this.
    Look, I'm not trying to be overly critical, but look at the entry on the March to March site. It contains one single fact: Austin is attending the banquet. Several people have posted that here. The rest is pure speculation and supposition - "we think" Rivers will decide earlier (a thought justified by "his experiences at the banquet," experiences that at the time the blog post was made had not yet taken place). That's mirrored in the post here: "our guess" is that Rivers comes here. It's pure speculation based on a known fact. You'll have to excuse me if I don't give it a lot of weight

I, like Boozer, am quite obviously pulling for Austin to come to Duke. Should he do so, however, it does not mean that Vasherized is any more credible a source than I would be if I just randomly said "I think he's going to come to Duke." And my statement - which I can guarantee you has absolutely no informed basis in fact - is just as well supported as the statement linked to on the blog. Taking a publicly known fact and offering thoughts and guesses on what that fact might mean does not make one an authority or an informed source on recruiting issues.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I, like Boozer, am quite obviously pulling for Austin to come to Duke. Should he do so, however, it does not mean that Vasherized is any more credible a source than I would be if I just randomly said "I think he's going to come to Duke." And my statement - which I can guarantee you has absolutely no informed basis in fact - is just as well supported as the statement linked to on the blog. Taking a publicly known fact and offering thoughts and guesses on what that fact might mean does not make one an authority or an informed source on recruiting issues.
    But you didn't say it, and he did. Which means he was willing to put his reputation and credibility on the line, and you're not.

If he turns out to be right, then he earns credibility. That's how the whole credibility thing works.

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Filter View Post
    But you didn't say it, and he did. Which means he was willing to put his reputation and credibility on the line, and you're not.

If he turns out to be right, then he earns credibility. That's how the whole credibility thing works.
    Let's see how he's doing...

http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010...2010/#more-942

On DBR, pfrduke has tons of credibility. He has earned it via many, many, many well thought out intelligent posts. The man knows hoops.
    Bob Green

Seems like he is doing pretty well. In the statements where he says he is pretty sure, he was right. In the Ray McCallum situation, he seemed to hedge. In none of those other situations was he as definitive as he has been about AR to Duke. As has been stated, I can't trust him yet, but if he is right about this, I will next time. That is how trust is earned. You gotta like his moxie.

(all of these his's could be her's)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    On DBR, pfrduke has tons of credibility. He has earned it via many, many, many well thought out intelligent posts. The man knows hoops.
    I don't think he was questioning pfrduke's credibility, only pointing out that Vash is putting this out there unequivocally and if he proves to be right, he will have been the only person (on this board) that is saying what he is saying. Because of that, he deserves some credit if he proves to be right and perhaps a higher level of trust in the next similar scenario.

Yes, but we're talking about recruiting knowledge, not general basketball knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    I don't think he was questioning pfrduke's credibility, only pointing out that Vash is putting this out there unequivocally and if he proves to be right, he will have been the only person (on this board) that is saying what he is saying. Because of that, he deserves some credit if he proves to be right and perhaps a higher level of trust in the next similar scenario.
    I read a lot of posts. Lots of posters are saying what he's saying. Airowe in particular seems to be quite in tune with some of the undercurrent.

I don't think he was questioning pfrduke's credibility....
    You very well may be right and I wrong, but I intrepreted the post as a challenge. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.
    Bob Green

Yes, but we're talking about recruiting knowledge, not general basketball knowledge.
    Recruiting knowledge is a slippery slope at best. Does anyone really know what these young men are thinking?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I read a lot of posts. Lots of posters are saying what he's saying. Airowe in particular seems to be quite in tune with some of the undercurrent.
    Saying what he is saying in a veiled or hopeful way is one thing. Doing what he is doing, which is putting his name on the line and not hedging whatsoever is a completely different thing. You even pointed out that Airowe is "in tune with some of the undercurrent." Therein lies the difference. Undercurrent versus outright statement of opinion based on what he says is fact (the source of which he cannot reveal). I challenge you to find one post that is as absolute in the statement that Austin Rivers will attend Duke as Vash has said. I am not in favor or against what he is doing, just trying to make sure what he is doing is judged fairly. How else will a guy ever make a reputation for himself as a recruiting guru with tremendous connections (which he says he cannot divulge) if he doesn't do this? Not sure what all the contempt for his posts is about, but like I said, I'll reserve judgement until we see what happens. I also will ignore the desire to believe him because there were people saying things like this about HB and that sucked.

Recruiting knowledge is a slippery slope at best. Does anyone really know what these young men are thinking?
    I don't know if any one knows, but if some one claims to know, makes a prediction, and turns out to be right, then I'm more inclined to believe that he might know than before those events took place.

I don't know if any one knows, but if some one claims to know, makes a prediction, and turns out to be right, then I'm more inclined to believe that he might know than before those events took place.
    Sounds like a jedi mind trick to me...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    He's doing guesswork based on what he sees. Some hits, some misses. But that's what it's like to cover basketball recruiting. If sharing his best guesses means he's credible, then he's credible. If "not actively spreading lies" means he's credible, then he's credible.

Maybe he has an inside source regarding the Rivers recruitment...or maybe he's just speculating based on public information. I haven't seen anything to suggest the former over the latter, but until that happens I'll just remain hopeful that his "prescient wisdom" on Rivers turns out more like his BK wisdom than his Lamb wisdom.

Saying what he is saying in a veiled or hopeful way is one thing. Doing what he is doing, which is putting his name on the line and not hedging whatsoever is a completely different thing. You even pointed out that Airowe is "in tune with some of the undercurrent." Therein lies the difference. Undercurrent versus outright statement of opinion based on what he says is fact (the source of which he cannot reveal). I challenge you to find one post that is as absolute in the statement that Austin Rivers will attend Duke as Vash has said. I am not in favor or against what he is doing, just trying to make sure what he is doing is judged fairly. How else will a guy ever make a reputation for himself as a recruiting guru with tremendous connections (which he says he cannot divulge) if he doesn't do this? Not sure what all the contempt for his posts is about, but like I said, I'll reserve judgement until we see what happens. I also will ignore the desire to believe him because there were people saying things like this about HB and that sucked.
    I understand your passion but you're forgetting one tiny little detail. Ballerjunkie is ANONYMOUS. Seth Davis, Chad Ford, Jim Sumner, Jason Evans, Mark Watson, Jason Hickman and a few others all have something very noticeable in common...

1) He's not putting his name on the line, he's putting his pseudonym on the line.

2) That said, him reporting one thing on his blog doesn't mean he lacks other information.

Could it be a ruse to drive up hits? Absolutely. Happens all the time.

What's nice is that it truly doesn't matter. There are guys like Mark Watson and John Watson that work their tails off to provide recruiting facts and recruiting prognostications; and there are guys that do that without sharing their identity. Time will tell if this cat is one of them.

In the meantime, let's not hope that he's right or wrong, but that Duke continues to land the kind of talent to keep K's national title streak alive.

Awww man I got on this thread hoping for some good Austin rivers news...