Page 64 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 3105
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    But ahhh, Austin. If I'm at liberty too embellish. He's a different animal. He's thoughtful. There's something there. He talked to his coach. He asked how his AAU coach felt. He inquired with his girlfriend. He inquired with his dad. I'm sure he's talked to his brother. He took his AAU coach to campus. He's a FAMILY guy. He actually took something away from his conversations with the players. He wants that National Championship. And just like Harrison fits the mold of typical UNC stud - so does Austin fit Duke.
    Gotta think Austin, having grown up in the shadow of NBA players, wouldn't be so amazed by the site of Michael Jordan, too. Those Iowa kids will fall for any sort of trickery.

Austin seems to be a thinker. Mostly in that he seems to be shrewd about protecting and nurturing his tremendous NBA potential. Hope he sees that Duke is good for all of that and more.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Actually I'm glad you posted this b/c it did occur to me today. However, upon reading them I'm glad we experienced Harrison. Harrison Barnes DOES like Duke. This you guys MUST get through your heads. You will NEVER hear him say a bad word. But if you read this again, he does give small hints and it's the same ones we dismissed from UNC fans at that - like the "other" side of Carolina.

But it's always the one thing that sticks out to a recruit - the x-factor. For Barnes it was Jordan. I get it - and I accept it. I got my first Jordans a half-size too big so I wouldn't have to get Sky Jordans (remember those?). A singular entity for a singular mind with singular goals. Some of it even sounds like he's scouting the Duke team more than putting himself IN the practice. He's definitely very "on to the next one" about it.

But ahhh, Austin. If I'm at liberty too embellish. He's a different animal. He's thoughtful. There's something there. He talked to his coach. He asked how his AAU coach felt. He inquired with his girlfriend. He inquired with his dad. I'm sure he's talked to his brother. He took his AAU coach to campus. He's a FAMILY guy. He actually took something away from his conversations with the players. He wants that National Championship. And just like Harrison fits the mold of typical UNC stud - so does Austin fit Duke.

Harrison might have said we - but he never said family...

But hey - Roy Williams can always pull a Pat Riley and retire Doc Rivers number...

Anyway, it's late and the Magic just hit 17,000 threes on the Hawks. I'm calling it a night.
    I have to agree with you on this. Austin seems more mature in his ways. He does seem to have a solid plan on how to approach the process. He is getting people involved, even trying to convince his skeptical AAU coach that Duke is a great place, etc... It is hard not to be encouraged by all of this, but at the same time, I am cautiously optimistic...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    Agreed. When someone does everything during the recruiting process to make you think that you're firmly in the running (or even in the lead) and then later say there was no second choice speaks to his character.

Oh and Austin Rivers is awesome, just to keep this on topic
    "Save #40 for me."

'Nuff said.

It's possible that his delay in making a decision, or announcing a decision, is the result of his early commitment to FL in the exuberance of the moment of FL winning the national championship. He doesn't want to repeat a mistake. He wants to make a measured and carefully considered decision after doing his research, homework, visits and full consideration. Maybe a mature process?

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    Gotta think Austin, having grown up in the shadow of NBA players, wouldn't be so amazed by the site of Michael Jordan, too.
    Not so sure about that. You could be right because he's still a kid, and if/when he ever ran into MJ, there's a chance he was too young to know who he really was.

But, that being said, I've heard many NBA players say they were star struck the first time they stepped on the court with Michael. Just sayin...

And to keep the topic going...Austin is probably one of the more complete players I've seen in while when you combine he's skill set, and his mind set. Great kid from what I can tell.
    Last edited by -jk; 05-11-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Ordinarily, I wouldn't waste any more bandwidth on Barnes here, but I have to take issue with your statement. Here's an excerpt from the ESPN article published after Barnes committed to UNC:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=4900463

Barnes enjoyed the recruiting process. Despite hundreds of letters and phone calls, he remained thorough and organized.

By the end, Barnes said his decision to go to North Carolina was obvious.

"Honestly, I really didn't have a second choice," Barnes said. "It was that clear-cut."

Based on my understanding of the impression that Barnes conveyed to Coach K and how he acted towards the Duke program throughout his recruitment, I find it difficult to consider the quoted statement from Barnes as anything other than a deliberate snipe at Duke. I've seen Duke and Carolina vying closely for the same recruits over the years, with each school winning some of those battles and losing others. But of all the players who were courted by and showed an interest in both schools, I don't recall any other who went out of his way to insult that school and coach by declaring that they weren't even considered a legitimate alternative.

This is the first thing I thought of after I watched that video weeks ago. I just let it go as the Barnes story was over.

While I was disappointed he chose UNC I still admired the kid - and still do to an extent - but that comment was either a dumb thing to say by an adolescent or a slip on his part revealing something more calculating.

If the later, I'm left with:

1) either you lied and/or exagerated your interest during the recruitment

or

2) you're being grossly disingenous now.

Could be you changed your mind - but considering the facts I find such an extensive swing - doubtful.

Water under the bridge I guess.

All of that notwithstanding, I thought Kyrie's recruitment and committment much more important at the time and continue to believe same now. Inasmuch as I see River's recruitment of nearly the same importance. These are 3 great players and kids - to land 2 out of 3 would be nice.

Let's just look at things from Harrison's eyes for a minute. If in an interview after he chooses UNC he purposefully downplays any interest he once had in Duke in order not to get ribbed and questioned by fans/players etc, I don't blame him. He's an 18 year old kid who had to choose between two highly competitive rivals, of course he's going to want to prove to his fanbase that's he's loyal. Whether he is being truthful or not about his recruitment is beside the point. We all know at one point he's a heavy Duke lean, and now to make up for that, he's doing his best to prove his loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by AisanderD View Post
    Let's just look at things from Harrison's eyes for a minute. If in an interview after he chooses UNC he purposefully downplays any interest he once had in Duke in order not to get ribbed and questioned by fans/players etc, I don't blame him. He's an 18 year old kid who had to choose between two highly competitive rivals, of course he's going to want to prove to his fanbase that's he's loyal. Whether he is being truthful or not about his recruitment is beside the point. We all know at one point he's a heavy Duke lean, and now to make up for that, he's doing his best to prove his loyalty.
    Agreed. I think people are making way too big a deal about this comment. And I think it's quite unfair for people who know next to nothing other than a handful of quotes to be questioning/attacking his character.

Quote Originally Posted by AisanderD View Post
    Ehhhh
    So hows that help me? I'm a fan because it brings me enjoyment. Part of that enjoyment right or wrong is tormenting my UNC friends.

So again, how does him going to UNC help me? Unless there is some scandal, dust-up or otherwise altercation, incident or donnybrook that casts him or UNC in a bad light how is that good for me?

It ain't helpful at all - so I'm not obliged to show him (or any other tar heel) any love amount of love what-so ever. I feel no guilt, remorse or shame about it.

Hes a big big boy... he knew the heat was coming when he did it. If he cant take the heat I'm sure Iowa State would accept a transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Ordinarily, I wouldn't waste any more bandwidth on Barnes here, but I have to take issue with your statement. Here's an excerpt from the ESPN article published after Barnes committed to UNC:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=4900463

Barnes enjoyed the recruiting process. Despite hundreds of letters and phone calls, he remained thorough and organized.

By the end, Barnes said his decision to go to North Carolina was obvious.

"Honestly, I really didn't have a second choice," Barnes said. "It was that clear-cut."

Based on my understanding of the impression that Barnes conveyed to Coach K and how he acted towards the Duke program throughout his recruitment, I find it difficult to consider the quoted statement from Barnes as anything other than a deliberate snipe at Duke. I've seen Duke and Carolina vying closely for the same recruits over the years, with each school winning some of those battles and losing others. But of all the players who were courted by and showed an interest in both schools, I don't recall any other who went out of his way to insult that school and coach by declaring that they weren't even considered a legitimate alternative.
    I agree with this Stray and I made sure I chose my words carefully. I said he LIKES Duke but I think it was a bit more about Coach K (and perhaps some posturing for the future). After the 100 year celebration, I didn't think he had a second choice either. Every thing after that screamed "NEXT!!!" The WAY he played his cards however is truly the disturbing part. Thusly - the singular mind with singular thoughts...

(I also agree with posters that think once he picked - he DID probably have to convince hisself that it was the best fit).

Those actions allow me to enjoy Austin's developments much much more...
    Last edited by SupaDave; 05-11-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It's possible that his delay in making a decision, or announcing a decision, is the result of his early commitment to FL in the exuberance of the moment of FL winning the national championship. He doesn't want to repeat a mistake. He wants to make a measured and carefully considered decision after doing his research, homework, visits and full consideration. Maybe a mature process?
    Very good point - he's been here before but he's a totally different kid now and it's obvious that he's taking a deeper look.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Agreed. I think people are making way too big a deal about this comment. And I think it's quite unfair for people who know next to nothing other than a handful of quotes to be questioning/attacking his character.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion--of Barnes, and of those among us who view him differently. I'm only commenting on Barnes' conduct and quotes now because some people here continue to defend him as a person of good character, even though he has indisputably demonstrated that he is dishonest. If Barnes was genuinely interested in Duke as a potential choice during his recruitment, then when he made statements after his commitment to UNC that were clearly intended to convey the point that there was no other school he seriously considered, he was lying with words. If he was not genuinely interested in Duke as a potential choice during his recruitment, then he was practicing a deception that was nothing less than lying through behavior. Other than a person's words and behavior, what basis do we have to evaluate his character?

Regarding the speculation that Barnes really was a "Duke lean" at one time but merely wanted to "show the love" for Carolina after his commitment by publicly dissing Duke, I think that conduct also speaks volumes about his character by showing that he is either immature or a phony--in either case, behavior that is irreconcilable with the public image he has endeavored to fabricate. As I mentioned in a prior post, when past recruiting wars between UNC and Duke have ended in favor of one school, do you recall any other recruit--on either side--who ever found it appropriate to deliberately insult the other program?

I don't harbor any resentment towards Barnes for choosing UNC instead of Duke. I've been at this long enough to recognize that we win some and we lose some, and the ups and downs all pretty much balance out in the long run. And I've also been around long enough to learn that things generally seem to work out for the best, even if it's not apparent at the time. But based on his words and behavior, by which he has intentionally and publicly exhibited disrespect towards Duke and Coach K, I certainly don't believe Barnes deserves any respect from us for being anything other than a physically talented opponent--and, perhaps, a clever actor.

I don't know how many of you plan to attend the TOC, but Austin will be playing in the tournament May 28th-30th. There will be other Duke recruits playing as well, and we'll know more as it gets closer to the date.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I don't know how many of you plan to attend the TOC, but Austin will be playing in the tournament May 28th-30th. There will be other Duke recruits playing as well, and we'll know more as it gets closer to the date.
    I'll be there! My baby cousin's AAU team will be up from Houston...

HB stoked the media flames. He enjoyed the limelight. If he now "pays the price" for his words, it is of his own doing.

Disingenuous is the right word. HB is a smart kid, but like most kids his age, not as smart as he thinks he is. He enjoyed being courted by the best coach in basketball, and wanted to a part of the Duke experience as much as possible, to the point of surprising Coach K with a visit. It turns out he was always headed to the hill, he later admitted that there was no second place finisher, so his flirtation with Duke can be termed a dalliance.

Who really cares? He will be a tarheel, so is deserving our disdain.

There have been a few tarheels I have admired as student athletes, HB won't be one of them.

Had HB came to Duke, would we ever call him "disingenuous?"

Whether we want to admit it or not, we are still bitter about the one that got away...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Agreed. I was happy we didn't get John Wall. I was not so thrilled to see us lose out on Barnes. I suspect I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Whether we want to admit it or not, we are still bitter about the one that got away...
    Speak for yourself.

He was disingenuous, and that's a kind description.

I won't go out of my way to attack him, but he made his choice and not in a very admirable fashion. I'm fine with the way things have worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

If Barnes had come to Duke, his request of the Duke staff to "Save #40 for me" wouldn't be disingenuous.

As to your second point, do you see the same hand-wringing for Leslie McDonald or Brandan Wright? No. So, maybe the situation isn't as simple as you'd like to portray it.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    If Barnes had come to Duke, his request of the Duke staff to save #40 for me wouldn't be disingenuous.

As to your second point, do you see the same hand-wringing for Leslie McDonald or Brandan Wright? No. So, maybe the situation isn't as simple as you'd like to portray it.
    The board got over Leslie in LITERALLY one day...
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ghlight=leslie

Most didn't even know we were recruiting Wright.